Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old Sep 4, 2019, 9:20 pm
Suspended

Programs: AS DL
Originally Posted by jrl767
although I can think of several other airlines that served both BHM and ORD, coming up with a single carrier that offered F and a route with three intermediate stops is challenging ... how about a United 727-100 via Huntsville (HSV), Knoxville (TYS), and Cleveland (CLE)
I know United flew BMH - HSV - ORD but the question is for a 3 stop routing.

77. (1988) This airline operated just two scheduled flights – one in each direction four days a week between just one city pair. The aircraft in question was narrow bodied and did not offer a First Class cabin. Can you identify the airline, aircraft and city pair?

Air Transat, Boeing 727-200, Montreal (Dorval) - Acapulco
Old Sep 5, 2019, 11:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
70. (1982) As one who actually enjoys flying, you have decided to pass on the nonstop and the two one-stop flights to enjoy a three-stop air tour between Birmingham and Chicago. I mean… what better way to spend an afternoon, right? As such, you’ve booked yourself on a three stop marathon that includes a snack and a dinner enroute. Even better, you’ve splurged and booked yourself a First Class seat. Identify the airline, enroute stops and equipment you’ll be flying upon.

Although I can think of several other airlines that served both BHM and ORD, coming up with a single carrier that offered F and a route with three intermediate stops is challenging ... how about a United 727-100 via Huntsville (HSV), Knoxville (TYS), and Cleveland (CLE)

Nice try, J. This brings back memories of the old Caravelle services. However, United is not the airline we're looking for. The airline that fits the bill for this question operated a 727-100 on this flight, but along a completely different routing. Please, guess again!
Old Sep 5, 2019, 11:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by Toshbaf
77. (1988) This airline operated just two scheduled flights – one in each direction four days a week between just one city pair. The aircraft in question was narrow bodied and did not offer a First Class cabin. Can you identify the airline, aircraft and city pair?

Air Transat, Boeing 727-200, Montreal (Dorval) - Acapulco

Hmm... I want what you're drinking, T But no, the airline we're looking for operated wholly within the contiguous United States. The aircraft was not a 727-200 model. Please, guess again!
Old Sep 6, 2019, 12:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
70- BHM-ORD, 727-100, three stops: how about American via Jackson (JAN), Dallas/Ft Worth (DFW), and Tulsa (TUL)
Old Sep 6, 2019, 12:53 am
Suspended

Keyway Air Transport, Boeing 737-200, Las Vegas (LAS) / Tonopah, NV (XSD)
Old Sep 6, 2019, 1:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

BHM-ORD, 727-100, three stops: how about American via Jackson (JAN), Dallas/Ft Worth (DFW), and Tulsa (TUL)

Now you're cookin'! Here's the schedule...

American AA 432 Birmingham (BHM) 1238p-134p Jackson (JAN) 150p-318p S Dallas (DFW) 415p-512p Tulsa (TUL) 541p-745p D Chicago (ORD) 727-100 Daily
strickerj likes this.
Old Sep 6, 2019, 1:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Keyway Air Transport, Boeing 737-200, Las Vegas (LAS) / Tonopah, NV (XSD)

Alcohol? No way! You must've gotten a hold of some good acid. Is it that clown blotter that was going around a few years ago? Or the purple microdot that was making the rounds recently? Whatever you're on, Keyway Air Transport is waaaay out there. We're looking for an airline serving a couple of mainline U.S. cities, one of which was in Florida...
Old Sep 6, 2019, 1:23 am
Suspended

Carnival Air Lines, Boeing 727-100, FLL-LAS

(where passengers could connect to XSD/Tonopah, just kidding)
Old Sep 6, 2019, 1:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Carnival Air Lines, Boeing 727-100, FLL-LAS

It was not Carnival, but we're at least back on planet earth here. The Florida city was not FLL, nor was the originating city LAS but the aircraft was a 727-100....
Old Sep 6, 2019, 9:55 am

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by Seat 2A
It was not Carnival, but we're at least back on planet earth here. The Florida city was not FLL, nor was the originating city LAS but the aircraft was a 727-100....
Was this when UPS did some passenger services just at weekends with a QC 727 ? Something like Louisville-Orlando ?
Old Sep 6, 2019, 10:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by WHBM

Was this when UPS did some passenger services just at weekends with a QC 727 ? Something like Louisville-Orlando ?

No, it was not UPS - though I would love to hear more about UPS's passenger operation. I had thought it was a few years later, as in around 1997 or 1998.
Old Sep 7, 2019, 10:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

62. (1983) Now it’s easier than ever for people who live in and around Portland, Maine to take their chances on the tables at Atlantic City now and then. One airline has risen to the challenge with a single daily direct one-stop flight between Portland and Atlantic City. Identify the airline, the aircraft and the enroute stop.
A N S W E R E D

72. (1988) Eastern Airlines used to offer nonstop service between New Orleans and Mexico City. Sadly, that service is no more. These days, your only options are a connection in either Houston or Dallas OR a single direct two stop flight departing New Orleans each afternoon. You’ll book the direct flight, please. Identify the airline, aircraft and the two enroute stops.

75. (1982) The Denver to Las Vegas market is served by five airlines offering nonstop flights. Only two of the airlines offer First Class service while the other three operate all-economy class configured jets. Can you identify each of the five airlines while differentiating those that offer First Class versus all-economy class cabins?

76. (1988) José needs to fly from Albuquerque to Minneapolis. Who does he call? Why, his travel agent of course. And there’s good news! Although there are no nonstop flights between Albuquerque and Minneapolis, there is a single daily one-stop direct flight departing Albuquerque every morning. Ay Chihuahua! Book it, José! What airline and aircraft will José be flying upon? And where will his intermediate stop be?

78. (1995) You’re flying from Ft. Lauderdale to Freeport, Bahamas. Most of the time you’re used to smaller jets or worse – props – on the short 30 minute flight. Imagine then your surprise and delight to discover that one airline actually operates a wide body aircraft on this route. Please identify the aircraft and the airline serving this route.
It's a European airline. The flight operated just once weekly...

Last edited by Seat 2A; Sep 9, 2019 at 4:35 pm
Old Sep 7, 2019, 12:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
75. (1982) The Denver to Las Vegas market is served by five airlines offering nonstop flights. Only two of the airlines offer First Class service while the other three operate all-economy class configured jets. Can you identify each of the five airlines while differentiating those that offer First Class versus all-economy class cabins?
75- I’m reasonably certain I can get four of these right away: United and Continental ran two-class jets; Frontier and Republic were all-Y ... thinking about other carriers that might have had a one-off DEN-LAS flight that didn’t offer First Class, I can only come up with a Western 737
  • Mixed Configuration with First Class cabin: Continental is correct. United is not.
  • All Economy Class Configuration: Frontier and Republic are correct. Western is not.
Hmm... no United First Class? Yep. Finish this one off, J
I can’t imagine that UA didn’t serve DEN-LAS at all, but I also can’t remember any single-cabin jets between the Caravelle days and the TED days ... unless they reconfigured a small sub-fleet of 737s?

as fas as another airline offering F on the route ... maybe TWA
Old Sep 8, 2019, 2:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

[QUOTE=jrl767;31501185]75. (1982) The Denver to Las Vegas market is served by five airlines offering nonstop flights. Only two of the airlines offer First Class service while the other three operate all-economy class configured jets. Can you identify each of the five airlines while differentiating those that offer First Class versus all-economy class cabins?

Mixed Configuration with First Class cabin: Continental is correct. United is not.

All Economy Class Configuration: Frontier and Republic are correct. Western is not.

I can’t imagine that UA didn’t serve DEN-LAS at all, but I also can’t remember any single-cabin jets between the Caravelle days and the TED days ... unless they reconfigured a small sub-fleet of 737s? As far as another airline offering F on the route ... maybe TWA

Way to wade in and tackle this one, J ^ That said, I'm not quite sure I understand your answer... Are you submitting United as an answer for for one of the all-economy airlines? Or just thinking aloud (or in print as the case may be)
As to TWA, it never served DEN-LAS. Please, carry on...
Old Sep 8, 2019, 10:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

yes I was tossing “UA in all-Y” out there

another airline with F? only thing I can envision is a one-off (probably late-night, with an early morning turnback) on someone like Eastern

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.