Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old Sep 1, 2019, 2:03 pm
Suspended

Programs: AS DL
So here is a bonus quiz item: In the film "Things Change", Gino (played by Mr. Ameche) and Jerry (played by Mr. Mantegna) deplane from an airliner that has landed at the Lake Tahoe Airport (TVL). Identify this aircraft type as well as the airline that operated it.

Originally Posted by jlemon
Ah, as noted above, the movie "Things Change" was filmed in 1988 while AirCal was merged into American Airlines in 1987. And the aircraft type we are looking for wasn't a B737-300.....
I wasn't sure when the film was made. I looked it up and saw it was released in 1988 and guessed that it might have been made in late 1986 or 1987.

PSA, BAe 146
Old Sep 1, 2019, 2:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by Toshbaf
So here is a bonus quiz item: In the film "Things Change", Gino (played by Mr. Ameche) and Jerry (played by Mr. Mantegna) deplane from an airliner that has landed at the Lake Tahoe Airport (TVL). Identify this aircraft type as well as the airline that operated it.

I wasn't sure when the film was made. I looked it up and saw it was released in 1988 and guessed that it might have been made in late 1986 or 1987.

PSA, BAe 146
Nope, Pacific Southwest Airlines was no longer serving Lake Tahoe at this time. In fact, I'm reasonably certain PSA never operated jet service into TVL and thus only served Lake Tahoe with the Lockheed L-188 Electra turboprop.
Old Sep 1, 2019, 2:20 pm
Suspended

Nope, Pacific Southwest Airlines was no longer serving Lake Tahoe at this time. In fact, I'm reasonably certain PSA never operated jet service into TVL and thus only served Lake Tahoe with the Lockheed L-188 Electra turboprop.
With films, anything is possible. "Lake Tahoe Airport" might actually be Ontario International or Santa Monica Airport. The "plane" may actually be a prop made of plywood. There used to be some Convair 880's in the desert, formerly operated by TWA that were going to be used in films.

However, I'm into the game....

American Airlines, McDonnell Douglas MD-80
Old Sep 1, 2019, 2:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)

With films, anything is possible. "Lake Tahoe Airport" might actually be Ontario International or Santa Monica Airport. The "plane" may actually be a prop made of plywood. There used to be some Convair 880's in the desert, formerly operated by TWA that were going to be used in films.

However, I'm into the game....

American Airlines, McDonnell Douglas MD-80
Well, yours truly flew into Lake Tahoe Airport on a number of occasions when TVL still had scheduled passenger air service. So I am absolutely, positively sure the air terminal which appears in the film is the Lake Tahoe Airport. And once upon a time I was actually responsible for a helicopter appearing in a major motion picture, being "Sister Act", parts of which were filmed in nearby Reno (which is where the Bell 212 helicopter made its appearance). Some of the movie personnel I worked with on "Sister Act" also worked on "Things Change", a majority of which was shot in the Lake Tahoe area and they mentioned that part of the production for the latter film took place at TVL. In fact, the aircraft in question was chartered from the airline we are looking for specifically for "Things Change".

And nope, it wasn't American nor was the equipment an MD-80 (although in one of the scenes shot at TVL the AA logo can be seen in the background at the curb side check-in area).
wrp96 likes this.
Old Sep 1, 2019, 3:28 pm
Suspended

United Airlines, Boeing 727
Old Sep 1, 2019, 4:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

United Airlines, Boeing 727
Nope, incorrect on both (and that includes series -100 and -200 models with regard to the aircraft).....although by mentioning UA and TVL, you engender a question: was the airline in question actually serving Lake Tahoe with scheduled flights at this time? And BTW, I firmly believe United never served TVL with mainline jet equipment on a sched basis.....
Old Sep 1, 2019, 4:38 pm
Suspended

Nope, incorrect on both (and that includes series -100 and -200 models with regard to the aircraft).....although by mentioning UA and TVL, you engender a question: was the airline in question actually serving Lake Tahoe with scheduled flights at this time? And BTW, I firmly believe United never served TVL with mainline jet equipment on a sched basis.....
I was making the assumption that the plane was chartered for the scene and flown to TVL for filming. That is why I answered United.

Delta, DC-9, chartered to TVL
Old Sep 1, 2019, 5:14 pm

Programs: BA
I was making the assumption that the plane was chartered for the scene and flown to TVL for filming.
Nothing to do with any of this but the longstanding airline of preference for a number of the studios was TWA. They can be seen to turn up in establishing shots etc far more than any other traditional carrier. Said to go back to when Howard Hughes had significant influence both at the studios and with the airline. LAX was regarded as a key station for them, and they had executives based there who maintained the relationship. American have apparently kept this alive, and their LAX-JFK service is a key shuttle within the studio industry.

I recall checking in at LAX when TWA did their 747 service to London. There was an absolute stereotypical scene going on at the adjacent first class counter where one actress (someone identified her but I forget who) was checking in, genuinely, about 25 pieces of luggage, ALL MATCHING (!), including maybe five hatboxes alone. Only in LA. In the days when "messages for passengers x, y and z" were announced on arrival, particularly at London, as soon as the door was opened, TWA always took care to enunciate clearly the full names of the one (or more) movie stars.
Seat 2A, jlemon and wrp96 like this.
Old Sep 1, 2019, 5:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I was making the assumption that the plane was chartered for the scene and flown to TVL for filming. That is why I answered United.

Delta, DC-9, chartered to TVL
Actually, you earlier stated the aircraft in question may have been made out of plywood!

But nope, it wasn't Delta....and you did not specify a specific DC9 model.
Old Sep 1, 2019, 5:26 pm
Suspended

TWA, McDonnell Douglas DC-9-10
Old Sep 2, 2019, 7:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

TWA, McDonnell Douglas DC-9-10
Yep, the aircraft in question was a DC-9-10, specifically a DC-9-15.

However, the airline we are looking for wasn't TWA. And here's a hint....the operator of the DC9 wasn't a major air carrier.
Old Sep 2, 2019, 8:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Seat 2A

78. (1995) You’re flying from Ft. Lauderdale to Freeport, Bahamas. Most of the time you’re used to smaller jets or worse – props – on the short 30 minute flight. Imagine then your surprise and delight to discover that one airline actually operates a wide body aircraft on this route. Please identify the aircraft and the airline serving this route.
It's not Carnival. The flight operated just once weekly...
78. I'll guess American Trans Air (ATA) operating an L-1011.
Old Sep 2, 2019, 10:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Yep, the aircraft in question was a DC-9-10, specifically a DC-9-15.

However, the airline we are looking for wasn't TWA. And here's a hint....the operator of the DC9 wasn't a major air carrier.
Gotta be Great American Airways!
Old Sep 2, 2019, 12:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Seat 2A
Gotta be Great American Airways!
Correct! I believe Great American Airways (FD) was based in Reno at this time and was only operating one aircraft being the aforementioned DC-9-15, N1068T, which was originally operated by TWA. I also believe it is this DC9 which appears in the film. Great American then took a great leap forward in 1990 and reportedly doubled the size of their fleet....

https://www.airliners.net/photo/Grea...2BFZx0JCfbBVGL

N1068T is parked on the other side of N1070T in the above photo. Great American was primarily a charter operator and was especially known for their gambling industry charter flights. However, the airline was operating scheduled passenger service in 1981 between Reno and Oakland with five round trip DC9 flights a week. Great American later operated MD-82 and MD-87 equipment on charter flights as well.

Last edited by jlemon; Sep 2, 2019 at 1:07 pm
Old Sep 2, 2019, 3:19 pm
Suspended

61. (1988) Even though you live in Edmonton, you have always been a fan of the Oakland A’s. No particular reason why – you just are, eh? Maybe it’s the green and gold colors. Or that darned elephant on their jerseys. Whatever. When you read that the A’s are offering a special three game package that includes hotel accommodations for its upcoming series against the Toronto Blue Jays (Your other favorite team) you know you’ve just got to go. And Hey! Hey! Hey! Is this your lucky day or not?? There’s a one-stop direct flight from Edmonton straight through to Oakland International! Yeah, Baby! Book it! And Go, A’s!

This is not going to be easy.....
Delta Air Lines, SLC stop, Boeing 727-200

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.