Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old Jun 30, 2019, 12:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by jlemon
5. Ah, a correction here.....and an apology!

In my haste earlier this evening to get ready to depart with Lady K for a dinner party with very good friends (featuring some superb and properly aged red wines from the Napa Valley, OBTW), I neglected to check my source material for this quiz item. I do seem to recall that at one point Eastern operated nonstop service between Washington National (DCA) and Bermuda (BDA).

However, not on the Eastern flight in question which actually operated ORD - SDF - EWR - BDA......and not with a B727-100.

So with that, you now have an Official Cajun Get Out Of Jail Free Card and we await your answer concerning the equipment Eastern operated on this flight via the second stop in Newark.
in that case, Tony Chachere says it was a Boeing 720
strickerj likes this.
Old Jun 30, 2019, 12:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
And here's yet another BONUS quiz item..........

In 1976, Braniff International was operating daily 747 service nonstop between Dallas/Fort Worth and Honolulu. There was also another airline operating nonstop service between DFW and HNL at this same time with two flights a week. Identify this air carrier and the equipment it was flying on the route. ANSWERED

Last edited by jlemon; Jul 1, 2019 at 11:47 am Reason: computer problems....just about time for a new laptop
Old Jun 30, 2019, 1:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by jrl767

in that case, Tony Chachere says it was a Boeing 720
5. Tony would be right! Here's the sched.......

EA 811: Chicago (ORD) 7:25a - 8:18a Louisville (SDF) 8:55a - 11:30a Newark (EWR) 12:05p - 1:55p Bermuda (BDA)
Freq: Daily
Service classes: F/Y
Meal services: Breakfast in F only ORD-SDF, Breakfast in F/Y SDF-EWR, Lunch in F/Y EWR-BDA
Equip: B720
Old Jun 30, 2019, 1:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WHBM
My hunch is this was (depending on when in 1974) BOAC/British Airways, towards the end of their Transpacific service. Flight coming from San Francisco, through Honolulu, Tokyo, Hong Kong, then on through Bangkok and the Middle East to London.

Connection from LAX on United. Probably also a 747.
11. Please see my response above to Seat 2A, sir!

Last edited by jlemon; Jun 30, 2019 at 1:13 pm
Old Jun 30, 2019, 11:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
17. This air carrier was operating the only nonstop service between New York City (JFK) and Cancun (CUN) with two flights a week. Identify the airline and the equipment.

Two days a week sounds like a foreign carrier tag on, like Lufthansa's flights to Merida or Kingston. For Cancun though... I'm thinking this was Aeromexico with a DC-10-30

In 1976, Braniff International was operating daily 747 service nonstop between Dallas/Fort Worth and Honolulu. There was also another airline operating nonstop service between DFW and HNL at this same time with two flights a week. Identify this air carrier and the equipment it was flying on the route.

I'm pretty sure I know this one. It'd be Pan Am. I've seen schedules where PA operated a L-1011-500 on this route, but in 1976 I'm thinking the flights would've been with a 707

Last edited by Seat 2A; Jul 1, 2019 at 1:09 am
Old Jul 1, 2019, 12:28 am
Suspended

Programs: AS DL
Originally Posted by Seat 2A

In 1976, Braniff International was operating daily 747 service nonstop between Dallas/Fort Worth and Honolulu. There was also another airline operating nonstop service between DFW and HNL at this same time with two flights a week. Identify this air carrier and the equipment it was flying on the route.

I'm pretty sure I know this one. It'd be Pan Am. I've seen schedules where PA operated a L-1011-500 on this route, but in 1976 I'm thinking the flights would've been with a 707
I also believe it is Pan Am. I was going to post but then saw Seat 2A's answer. I have a different opinion, though. The JFK-DFW-HNL service was short lived and operated by a 747SP.
Old Jul 1, 2019, 12:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
3. It's 1966 and time for a milk run! You need to travel from Corpus Christi (CRP) to Amarillo (AMA) and have found a daily flight which makes four stops en route. Identify the airline, all four stops in order and the aircraft type.
3- I’m torn here: I think there are two candidate airlines, each with a different aircraft over a slightly different routing (although I suspect two of the four stops would be common to either)

that said, I’ll initially posit Trans-Texas Airways operating a Convair 600 via San Antonio (SAT), Austin (AUS), Midland/Odessa (MAF), and Lubbock (LBB)
Old Jul 1, 2019, 4:55 am

Programs: BA
11. Air Siam (VG) is correct! However, the U.S. air carrier whose LAX-HNL schedule appeared in the Air Siam timetable wasn't TWA flying a 707.....it was actually Continental operating a DC-10.
Air Siam, often called Varan Air Siam after the founder (hence the flight code) had a strange fleet approach, they operated one of everything at different times. The 747 operating Bangkok to Honolulu was actually leased from Aer Lingus, who had two early aircraft but apart from a few high summer months never really had the need for more than one. Irish crews handled the operation. I believe it used to periodically be run down to Singapore for a while when VG had not paid their bill and the flights would be cancelled for a short while, then it would come back. They even had a former Autair BAC One-Eleven for a few months, when all they could operate of this route was Bangkok to Hong Kong.

BONUS QUESTION : (Varan) Air Siam were the first Asian user of a given aircraft type, brand new, and just the second overall. What type was that ?
Old Jul 1, 2019, 11:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

17. This air carrier was operating the only nonstop service between New York City (JFK) and Cancun (CUN) with two flights a week. Identify the airline and the equipment.

Two days a week sounds like a foreign carrier tag on, like Lufthansa's flights to Merida or Kingston. For Cancun though... I'm thinking this was Aeromexico with a DC-10-30

17. Ah, it wasn't Aeromexico and the equipment wasn't a DC-10.

However, your initial comment concerning this one is spot on (although it wasn't LH) so please guess again!

BONUS: Pan Am operating Boeing 707 service is correct! And these PA flights from Dallas/Fort Worth continued on via Honolulu to destinations in the South Pacific including Auckland, Melbourne, Pago Pago and Papeete with one of the flights originating in New York. Here are the westbound and eastbound scheds.....

PA 825: Dallas/Fort Worth (DFW) 5:15p - 9:35p Honolulu (HNL)
Freq: Thursdays only
Meal service: Dinner
Equip: 707
Complete routing: JFK-DFW-HNL-AKL-MEL

PA 827: Dallas/Fort Worth (DFW) 10:00a - 2:20p Honolulu (HNL)
Freq: Saturdays only
Meal service: Lunch
Complete routing: DFW-HNL-PPG-PPT

PA 828: Honolulu (HNL) 12:01a - 11:20a Dallas/Fort Worth (DFW)
Freq: Mondays only
Meal service: Snack
Complete routing: PPT-PPG-HNL-DFW-JFK

PA 826: Honolulu (HNL) 9:00p - 8:20a Dallas/Fort Worth (DFW)
Freq: Fridays only
Meal services: Snack and Breakfast
Complete routing: AKL-PPG-HNL-DFW

Last edited by jlemon; Jul 1, 2019 at 11:17 am Reason: clarification
Old Jul 1, 2019, 11:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jrl767

3- I’m torn here: I think there are two candidate airlines, each with a different aircraft over a slightly different routing (although I suspect two of the four stops would be common to either)

that said, I’ll initially posit Trans-Texas Airways operating a Convair 600 via San Antonio (SAT), Austin (AUS), Midland/Odessa (MAF), and Lubbock (LBB)
3. Nope, it wasn't TTa (a.k.a. Tree-Top Airways or Tinker-Toy Airways which incidentally by 1969 had changed its name to Texas International) and the equipment wasn't a turboprop.

However, you've correctly guessed the first, second and fourth stops in order.....and I have the feeling you will be tapping this one in shortly.

Last edited by jlemon; Jul 1, 2019 at 3:35 pm Reason: incidental date correction TT->TI
Old Jul 1, 2019, 12:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

BONUS QUESTION : (Varan) Air Siam were the first Asian user of a given aircraft type, brand new, and just the second overall. What type was that ?
I'll guess this was an Airbus A300. If so, it was probably the first A300 in Asia as well.
Old Jul 1, 2019, 12:57 pm

I'll guess this was an Airbus A300. If so, it was probably the first A300 in Asia as well.
Quite so. Airbus found initial sales of the A300 quite challenging, so after the initial couple of deliveries, inevitably to Air France, one went to Air Siam. It only lasted about a year there before it was returned. It was apparently a very short-term decision, possibly leased at less than cost, and was flown while there by Aerospatiale test pilots on contract.

DOUBLE BONUS : Only one other airline scheduled the A300 in 1974, its first year of operation. Which airline was that.
Old Jul 1, 2019, 1:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
DOUBLE BONUS : Only one other airline scheduled the A300 in 1974, its first year of operation. Which airline was that.[/QUOTE]

Only one airline comes to mind - Air France - which I believe was also the launch customer for the A300.
Old Jul 1, 2019, 2:09 pm

Only one airline comes to mind - Air France - which I believe was also the launch customer for the A300.
Aha ! I'd mentioned Air France and Air Siam; there was one other 1974 airline that scheduled the A300 other than these two.
Old Jul 1, 2019, 2:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Aha ! I'd mentioned Air France and Air Siam; there was one other 1974 airline that scheduled the A300 other than these two.
Yep, I thought we were looking for a third air carrier here....and although Lufthansa ordered the A300 early on, I do not think it was LH.

So let's go with Air Inter. And if so, the A300 was probably way too big for most domestic routes in France.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.