Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11, 2012, 8:10 am

Programs: UA life gold, UA/CO life Presidents/United Club since 1965; Marriott life titanium, HH diamond
Originally Posted by Seat 2A
21. This airline offered once weekly nonstop service between St. Kitts, Leeward Islands and New York JFK. Name the airline and the aircraft used on this route.
I agree with jlemon that it was BWIA -- equipment was a 707.
Old Aug 11, 2012, 8:49 am

Programs: UA life gold, UA/CO life Presidents/United Club since 1965; Marriott life titanium, HH diamond
8. At least three airlines have marketed their aircraft as “Starliners”. One was foreign and two of them American. Name the airlines and the aircraft so marketed.
Air France flew the Lockheed L-1649, calling it the "Super Starliner".
For the US, I'll say TWA (also the L-1649), and possibly Alaska Airlines, which has one B737-800 called the Starliner 75. If that last one doesn't count, I'll guess American Overseas Airways, also with the Lockheed Constellation..
Old Aug 11, 2012, 12:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
As we await the final answers from Seat 2A (who apparently has been on the hunt for the large, elusive Alaskan squirrel on the wild and wooley outskirts of Fairbanks), I shall take this opportunity to take up the gauntlet, leap into the breech and fire away for general effect, as it were. In other words, I have some more quiz items.

We will begin with the restating of a previous question I recently posed that remains unanswered.....

1) It has been established on this thread that both American Airlines and TWA operated nonstop flights between STL and HNL at different times over the years. Transamerica Airlines also offered service between STL and HNL with B747 equipment; however, these flights were not nonstop but direct in nature as stops were made at either DFW or at both DFW and LAX.

There was also a third airline that operated nonstop service between STL and HNL. Identify the carrier and the aircraft type used. And here's a hint: the westbound service from St. Louis to Hawaii actually originated in a city located in the eastern U.S. Identify this city for extra bonus points.

2) No less than ten (10) different airlines operated jet service from Santa Barbara (SBA) in the past. None of them currently do so now. Some operators were merged into other carriers. Others withdrew service from the market. And others simply went out of business. Identify all ten airlines and the respective jet aircraft types they operated.

3) Name three (3) U.S. based airlines that flew Honolulu (HNL) - Vancouver (YVR) nonstops. Also identify the equipment they used.

4) This airline operated nonstop service between New Orleans (MSY) and Maracaibo, Venezuela (MAR). Identify the air carrier and the aircraft type used for the service.

5) It's the summer of 1983 and you find yourself in Asuncion, Paraguay (ASU) on a Friday night with local friends celebrating the conclusion of a successful business trip. However, you need to be in New Orleans (MSY) by Monday morning for yet another business meeting. So you need to depart on Saturday morning. You have discovered that you can fly direct with no change of plane in first class from ASU to MSY; however, there are no less than four (4) en route stops. Identify the airline, the aircraft type used and all of the intermediate stops.

6) It's the winter of 1987 and you need to travel on business from Stockton, CA (SCK) to Minot, ND (MOT). Now, you really do not want to go to Minot as you know it will most likely be very cold in North Dakota! So, to take the sting out the trip, you decide you want to fly in first class on board a jet with no change of plane. What airline would you choose and what type of aircraft would you fly on? Here's a hint: this flight made two (2) intermediate stops en route. Identify these two stops for extra bonus points.

7) This Canadian airline operated a seasonal weekend nonstop service during the late winter of 1979 with a wide body aircraft from Toronto (YYZ) to Winnipeg (YWG). This flight then continued on nonstop to an international destination. Identify the airline, the aircraft type used and the name of the international destination.

8) It's the fall of 1979 and you need to make the short hop from Dallas/Ft. Worth (DFW) to Shreveport (SHV). You want to fly on jet equipment and you have your choice of two (2) airlines. Identify both air carriers and the respective aircraft they flew on this route.

9) Also in the fall of 1979, how many jet flights did Air Florida operate between Miami (MIA) and Key West (EYW) on a typical weekday? Also identify the jet aircraft type.

10) It's the still the fall of 1979 and you need to make the short hop from Miami (MIA) to West Palm Beach (PBI). You want to fly on a wide body aircraft and you have a choice of two (2) airlines. Identify both air carriers and the type of wide body jetliners they flew on the route.

11) It's the late summer of 1963 and you have a business meeting you must attend in San Antonio. Your present location is Manhattan. You've discovered that one airline flies direct with no change of plane from Newark (EWR) to San Antonio (SAT). And even better, this carrier offers a special first class service on board your favorite turboprop airliner. Coach service is available as well, but, of course, you'll be in the front cabin. You also like the fact there are three (3) intermediate stops en route as you love the landings and takeoffs while on board the latest version of this airplane. Identify the airline, the aircraft type, the name of the special first class service and all three intermediate stops.

12) In the spring of 1984, this airline created a hub operation in New Orleans (MSY). Nonstop flights were offered to FLL, LAS, LAX, LIT, MIA, MCI, MCO, OKC and PIE. Four (4) different jet aircraft types were flown. Identify the airline and the equipment this carrier operated.

13) What airline called their Super DC-8-63 aircraft the "Spacemaster"?

14) What airline offered "Fiesta Spaceship" service on board their wide body aircraft? Also identify the equipment.

15) Name an airline that operated BAe 146 service nonstop between Los Angeles (LAX) and Aspen (ASE).

16) Name an airline that operated DC-10 service twice a week nonstop between Miami (MIA) and Nassau (NAS).

17) It's the winter of 1976 and you've just received a phone call from an old buddy who has just purchased a 46' catamaran in Grand Turk (GDT) in the British West Indies. "So how about a little sailing adventure down here, amigo?", he asks over the phone and, of course, you're in! But how to get there? Your location is San Francisco and you need to fly in first class from SFO to MIA on Friday night in order to connect to a flight on Saturday morning that is operated with a classic prop airliner by another airline from MIA to GDT. Name both airlines and the respective aircraft types they operated on these services.

18) It's still the winter of 1976 and you've been invited to go on a skiing trip in northern New Mexico after your great sailing adventure off Grand Turk. Your location is Dallas and you need to swing by Albuquerque to pick up a good friend before you drive north to Taos. You've identified three (3) airlines that operate DFW-ABQ nonstop service. Name all three airlines and the aircraft types they flew on the route.

19) It's the spring of 1981 and you need to travel from Dallas/Ft. Worth to Milwaukee (MKE). You have your choice of two airlines operating nonstop service. Identify both airlines and type of equipment they flew on the route.

20) It's the first weekend in April in 1981 and you've been working on a project on-site in Chicago. You would really like to get away for the weekend and play golf with an old friend in Palm Springs. But you need to travel to Dallas/Ft. Worth as well for a very quick meeting concerning another upcoming project. You figure this meeting in Dallas will take no more than an hour and can be conducted at an airline lounge at DFW. So you decide to do both with the following travel conditions:

1. All of your travel will be on the same airline.

2. You would also like to travel in first class on each flight but if possible travel on different aircraft types on each leg.

3. Each leg must also be nonstop.

4. Your route of flight must be ORD to PSP to DFW to ORD.

5. You need to leave on Saturday morning and be back in Chicago by late Sunday night after staying in Palm Springs on Saturday night.

What airline would you travel on? Also identify the three (3) different aircraft types by leg.

Last edited by jlemon; Aug 11, 2012 at 1:13 pm Reason: Tuned it up a bit.....
Old Aug 11, 2012, 12:13 pm

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by miniliq
Air France flew the Lockheed L-1649, calling it the "Super Starliner"
Quite so, but both Air France and Lufthansa purchased L-1649A Starliners, and as the question referred to just one foreign carrier I assumed it to mean a carrier who called all their aircraft this was (like BSAA did), and not just these final Constellations. Air France, by the way, called these aircraft "Super Starliners" to fit with their predecessor L-1049Gs which were already called "Super G".

Originally Posted by jlemon
apparently has been on the hunt for the large, elusive Alaskan squirrel
Excuse my European naivete, but is this some humorous euphemism for a moose or something ?
Old Aug 11, 2012, 12:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Excuse my European naivete, but is this some humorous euphemism for a moose or something ?

Oh, I believe a bit of humor was intended......although I'm unsure of the actual identity of the critter in question, WHBM!

We should probably take Seat 2A at his word as he did mention in post #1512 that a squirrel hunt was underway....so perhaps he will report back with regard to the hopeful success of this apparent adventure!
Old Aug 11, 2012, 2:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Good morning, all. Well, for me at least it's as good a good morning as one can expect after a night of drinking whiskey and eating fine Stilton cheese, crackers and almonds while watching A Clockwork Orange and Vanishing Point at my neighbor's cabin across the road. Yesterday's squirrel hunt also proved successful with one of the best shots I've ever made - about 25 yards at a slight uphill angle through branches. With a BB gun. We've already gotten our first frosts and the red tree squirrels have stepped up their efforts to establish winter nests. Non-lethal methods such as sprinkling a mixture of cayenne and white pepper or mothballs works to a point but it would seem some squirrels are more persistent than others. This particular squirrel had found its way inside my cabin walls and once they've done that, they'll continue until "convinced" otherwise.

But enough from a cold blooded, nonrepentant old squirrel killer like myself. Let's move on to those remaining questions:

3. This Midwestern airline ordered two 737-200C and one 737-200. Had it taken delivery of any of these aircraft (it never did), it would have been the first airline to operate the 737-200 Combi.

This was Lake Central Airlines. The 737 order was canceled prior to the merger with Allegheny Airlines on July 1, 1968.

8. At least three airlines have marketed their aircraft as “Starliners”. One was foreign and two of them American. Name the airlines and the aircraft so marketed.

miniliq: Air France flew the Lockheed L-1649, calling it the "Super Starliner". For the US, I'll say TWA (also the L-1649), and possibly Alaska Airlines, which has one B737-800 called the Starliner 75.

Correct! From what I can find, it appears that Lockheed marketed the L-1649 as the "Starliner" and while Air France also marketed its 1649s as such, I can't find any evidence that TWA did. What I have found are TWA ads describing its 1649s as Super G Constellations. Any further insight on this would certainly be appreciated. HERE is a site showing a couple of TWA ads.

Alaska also marketed one of its 737-800s (N569AS) as the "Starliner 75", based upon an historic livery.

Additionally, TTA (Trans-Texas Airways) referred to its DC-3s in timetables and advertisements as "Starliners"

For you timetable aficionados, the following questions are based upon schedules from the October 15, 1981 OAG. I reckon any diligent OAG readers should be able to come up with a good guess if not the correct answer right off the top of their heads.

11. This was the only airline offering nonstop service between New Orleans and Cleveland.

Texas International served this route with a DC-9-30. Good call cs57 and miniliq!

16. This airline provided once weekly nonstop jet service between Grand Junction and Los Angeles.

This was Frontier Airlines, operated seasonally with a 737-200. These days Allegiant Air flies the route with a DC-9-80.

19. This airline operated one daily flight utilizing a single class DC-8-61 between Chicago and New York JFK?

Capitol Airlines it was! Well done, cs57!

21. This airline offered once weekly nonstop service between St. Kitts, Leeward Islands and New York JFK. Name the airline and the aircraft used on this route.

It was BWIA (Better Walk Instead Airlines), operated with a 707 on Thursdays. Kudos to jlemon and miniliq.

Last edited by Seat 2A; Aug 11, 2012 at 2:38 pm
Old Aug 11, 2012, 2:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by WHBM
You can read all about it right HERE
Old Aug 11, 2012, 2:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Gotta head into town soon to fetch water and get a haircut. I'll just have a stab at three of these:

I believe it was Canadian Pacific

14) What airline offered "Fiesta Spaceship" service on board their wide body aircraft? Also identify the equipment.

Western Airlines marketed its DC-10s as "Spaceships" and its flights to Mexico as "Fiesta Flights". I never heard of them marketing their DC-10 flights to Mexico as "Fiesta Spaceships" but that's who I'll go with. Coincidentally my first flight aboard a Western DC-10 was between MEX and LAX.

15) Name an airline that operated BAe 146 service nonstop between Los Angeles (LAX) and Aspen (ASE).

I think that would be Aspen Airways with a 146-100, though I believe Air Wisconsin also operated this route with -200s d.b.a. as United Express.
Old Aug 11, 2012, 5:04 pm

4) This airline operated nonstop service between New Orleans (MSY) and Maracaibo, Venezuela (MAR). Identify the air carrier and the aircraft type used for the service.
Before I devote some time to your many questions, I have to pounce on this one -- It was Viasa, with a Convair 880. I remember an earlier discussion of non-stop flights from MSY to central America, and I probably mentioned that the MSY-MAR Viasa flight was my first international flight (not counting US-Canada) -- in August, 1964. At that time there was a Venezuelan Consulate in New Orleans, and we had to stop here for work visas.
Old Aug 11, 2012, 5:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Gotta head into town soon to fetch water and get a haircut. I'll just have a stab at three of these:

I believe it was Canadian Pacific

Western Airlines marketed its DC-10s as "Spaceships" and its flights to Mexico as "Fiesta Flights". I never heard of them marketing their DC-10 flights to Mexico as "Fiesta Spaceships" but that's who I'll go with. Coincidentally my first flight aboard a Western DC-10 was between MEX and LAX.

I think that would be Aspen Airways with a 146-100, though I believe Air Wisconsin also operated this route with -200s d.b.a. as United Express.
13) Correct!

14) Western and the DC-10 is correct! The "Fiesta Spaceship" advertising campaign was targeted at the Seattle/Tacoma area as WA flew a DC-10 service SEA-LAX-MEX. Special Mexican cuisine along with margaritas were featured as part of the on board cabin service.

15) I'm not sure about Aspen Airways and Air Wisconsin with regard to LAX-ASE nonstop service although both carriers indeed flew the BAe 146. And in addition to the BAe 146-200, Air Wisconsin also flew the BAe 146-300 as well under the United Express banner. The answer I was looking for is TriStar Airlines with BAe 146-200 aircraft featuring very tight six abreast seating in an all coach config. TriStar did not last very long. So we'll call this answer correct on all counts!

And congratulations concerning a successful squirrel hunt!

Last edited by jlemon; Aug 12, 2012 at 12:23 pm
Old Aug 11, 2012, 6:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by miniliq
Before I devote some time to your many questions, I have to pounce on this one -- It was Viasa, with a Convair 880. I remember an earlier discussion of non-stop flights from MSY to central America, and I probably mentioned that the MSY-MAR Viasa flight was my first international flight (not counting US-Canada) -- in August, 1964. At that time there was a Venezuelan Consulate in New Orleans, and we had to stop here for work visas.
4) Well, I was not aware of the Viasa MSY-MAR service with the Convair 880 and one learns something new every day!

The answer I was looking for is Continental Airlines with twice weekly B727-200 service on a routing of IAH-MSY-MAR-CCS.

However, I gladly accept your answer as correct!
Old Aug 11, 2012, 8:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I've got a bit of free time here, so let's try a couple more:

1) It has been established on this thread that both American Airlines and TWA operated nonstop flights between STL and HNL at different times over the years. Transamerica Airlines also offered service between STL and HNL with B747 equipment; however, these flights were not nonstop but direct in nature as stops were made at either DFW or at both DFW and LAX.

There was also a third airline that operated nonstop service between STL and HNL. Identify the carrier and the aircraft type used. And here's a hint: the westbound service from St. Louis to Hawaii actually originated in a city located in the eastern U.S. Identify this city for extra bonus points.

Well, I've been wondering about this one since it was posted. Outside of TW, AA and TIA, I'm figuring it had to be an airline like ATA (American Trans Air) or possibly an outfit like Tower Air. Let's go with ATA, using an L-1011-500. As to the originating city... uh... Boston?

5) It's the summer of 1983 and you find yourself in Asuncion, Paraguay (ASU) on a Friday night with local friends celebrating the conclusion of a successful business trip. However, you need to be in New Orleans (MSY) by Monday morning for yet another business meeting. So you need to depart on Saturday morning. You have discovered that you can fly direct with no change of plane in first class from ASU to MSY; however, there are no less than four (4) en route stops. Identify the airline, the aircraft type used and all of the intermediate stops.

This sounds like something Eastern Airlines might have been able to provide with its El Inter-Americano First Class Service. I'm guessing a routing like ASU-LAP-LIM-BOG-MIA-MSY using a 727-200 or maybe even an L-1011.

6) It's the winter of 1987 and you need to travel on business from Stockton, CA (SCK) to Minot, ND (MOT). Now, you really do not want to go to Minot as you know it will most likely be very cold in North Dakota! So, to take the sting out the trip, you decide you want to fly in first class on board a jet with no change of plane. What airline would you choose and what type of aircraft would you fly on? Here's a hint: this flight made two (2) intermediate stops en route. Identify these two stops for extra bonus points.

Strictly a guess here: United 737-200 SCK-SFO-DEN-MOT

I'll leave a few questions for others (and who knows, these answers I've provided could very well be wrong anyway!) and leave you all with this article from this morning's Fairbanks News-Miner. Squirrels aren't the only problem around here.

Granite Tors Grizzlies Causing Trouble Again
Old Aug 11, 2012, 9:44 pm

2) No less than ten (10) different airlines operated jet service from Santa Barbara (SBA) in the past. None of them currently do so now. Some operators were merged into other carriers. Others withdrew service from the market. And others simply went out of business. Identify all ten airlines and the respective jet aircraft types they operated.

This gets a bit confusing because of all of the "doing business as" companies, and because there are still quite a few servicing SBA, but here's my list:

Air Wisconsin dba United Express BAe 146
Allegiant -- MD80
American -- MD80
Continental -- 737
Hughes Air West -- DC-9
Mesa -- dba US Airways Express -- BAe 146, ERJ-145
Pacific Airlines -- 727
Pacific Express -- BAC-111
Shuttle by United -- 737
United -- 727,737

I wish some of them were still around -- I usually fly to LAX and drive to SBA rather than use the regional jets, but then I get tired of the traffic and on my next trip switch back to the air.

11) It's the late summer of 1963 and you have a business meeting you must attend in San Antonio. Your present location is Manhattan. You've discovered that one airline flies direct with no change of plane from Newark (EWR) to San Antonio (SAT). And even better, this carrier offers a special first class service on board your favorite turboprop airliner. Coach service is available as well, but, of course, you'll be in the front cabin. You also like the fact there are three (3) intermediate stops en route as you love the landings and takeoffs while on board the latest version of this airplane. Identify the airline, the aircraft type, the name of the special first class service and all three intermediate stops.

That would be Braniff's "Silver Service" on an Electra; EWR-DCA-DAL-AUS-SAT
Enough for tonight -- I still have some work to do writing up my last trip.
Old Aug 12, 2012, 1:59 am

Programs: BA
From what I can find, it appears that Lockheed marketed the L-1649 as the "Starliner" and while Air France also marketed its 1649s as such, I can't find any evidence that TWA did. What I have found are TWA ads describing its 1649s as Super G Constellations. Any further insight on this would certainly be appreciated.
Not quite so; TWA marketed their Lockheed L-1649 Starliner Constellations as Jetstreams ! This of course at a time (1958) when BOAC and Pan Am were just starting operations with jets, and TWA were a bit behind, so a jet-sounding name was doubtless thought to be clever, along the "you can fool most of the people most of the time" route (a bit like those US airlines who painted 'Jet-powered' on their Electras and Viscounts around the same time). It also gave TWA an issue when their own jets came along the next year, but they just called them Jetliners (707-131) and Superjets (707-331). The Starliners - whoops, sorry, I mean Jetstreams - were identified as such in the TWA schedules, the Super G is actually the earlier Super Constellation model, the L-1049G. There were various L-1049 models that were worked through, calling the L-1049G the "Super G" was a Lockheed initiative, and other airlines who had it used this expression as well.

Notable therefore that none of the three purchasers of the Starliner actually used its name in their marketing, TWA using "Jetstream", Lufthansa saying "Super Star", and Air France the closest with "Super Starliner".

Now then, do Lufthansa still have a L-1649 Super Star ? Yes they do, and you can read all about it on the Lufthansa website here

http://www.lufthansa-technik.com/super-star-news

Bonus questions Airlines giving their own "class names" to aircraft types has really died out, but in previous generations it was more common, especially for UK airlines. So, what were these better known as :

- Argonaut
- Elizabethan
- Frobisher
- Admiral
- Pionair
- Plymouth

** Sunday morning London Lawnmowers and Squirrels Report.

Now then, I know everyone's been hanging on through all this old airline stuff for the latest thrilling installment of this, but instead of lawnmowing we're headed off down a probably packed Underground into Central London to watch the Olympics Marathon go past. They have a better day for it than the women's marathon last week, when it poured with rain to such an extent that the streets on the course started to flood ! The US Olympics support team, who are staying on a university campus just behind our house, seemed to be having their own farewell party last night which culminated in a fireworks display which would not have disgraced a national New-Year celebration, and which we enjoyed from our upstairs windows ! Oh, and going into Central London (look out for us on the TV, we'll be just by Temple Underground station) we'll be taking a package of nuts with us in Mrs WHBM 's handbag, like we usually do, because in the little park where we are going to stand there are squirrels running around, to the fascination of many it always seems, including lots of the US visitors here, and we end up giving most of the contents to the kids watching them, who think it's great - our peanuts being handed by the kids to squirrels have ended up on family tourist photographs all round the world, it seems. So sorry, we have a bit of a different approach here.

Last edited by WHBM; Aug 12, 2012 at 2:06 am
Old Aug 12, 2012, 2:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Notable therefore that none of the three purchasers of the Starliner actually used its name in their marketing, TWA using "Jetstream", Lufthansa saying "Super Star", and Air France the closest with "Super Starliner".
I clearly see "Starliner" in Air France's name. Super or not, the name "Starliner" was still used. So from where I sit, Air France still stands as the one foreign airline since I've seen no evidence evisdence of other airlines using the name "Starliner" including the aforementioned British airline (BSAA) which merely named its aircraft after stars. Numerous searches over the internet have yet to turn up any BSAA material referring to its aircraft as "Starliners".

Oh, and going into Central London (look out for us on the TV, we'll be just by Temple Underground station) we'll be taking a package of nuts with us in Mrs WHBM 's handbag, like we usually do, because in the little park where we are going to stand there are squirrels running around, to the fascination of many it always seems, including lots of the US visitors here, and we end up giving most of the contents to the kids watching them, who think it's great - our peanuts being handed by the kids to squirrels have ended up on family tourist photographs all round the world, it seems. So sorry, we have a bit of a different approach here.
No need to apologize ~ but then those London squirrels remain cute little rodents who provide photographic opportunities for the tourists (including lots of the US visitors it seems) who like a nice photo as opposed to our squirrels who are either removing valuable insulation from our homes or moving uninvited into our homes. It's an entirely different experience and perspective. While I'd certainly prefer to photograph our cute little squirrels, I have absolutely no qualms with blasting them into the great beyond. Again. And Again. And Again.

Last edited by Seat 2A; Aug 12, 2012 at 10:09 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.