Things that annoy me when I travel

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Things that annoy me when I travel

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22, 2010, 11:48 pm

Programs: QF WP, VA, AA
Not sure if a similar thing has been mentioned in this thread, but recently I had a guy (probably late 60s/early 70s) who found whatever movie he was watching hilarious, and boy did we know it!

Was AKL-MEL in a 737 with PTVs, so I don't know what movie or show he was watching. He was in 9E, me in 8C.

He cackled (and it was a cackle) so often, so loud and with so much gusto I was sure he was going to wet himself, or have a seizure, or both! And this was for the duration of the movie (it must have been good )!

It was annoying, more from a perspective that he was an inconsiderate idiot (nothing wrong with an occasional chuckle, but you had to be there to appreciate how OTT his carry-on was) rather than interrupting my enjoyment of whatever I was watching, but I could hear him as plain as day over the noise my own movie was making through the headset.

Has I been seated next to or immediately in front of him, I don't think I could have stood it - would have had to say something.
Old Jan 22, 2010, 11:56 pm

Originally Posted by tuapekastar
Not sure if a similar thing has been mentioned in this thread, but recently I had a guy (probably late 60s/early 70s) who found whatever movie he was watching hilarious, and boy did we know it!

Was AKL-MEL in a 737 with PTVs, so I don't know what movie or show he was watching. He was in 9E, me in 8C.

He cackled (and it was a cackle) so often, so loud and with so much gusto I was sure he was going to wet himself, or have a seizure, or both! And this was for the duration of the movie (it must have been good )!

It was annoying, more from a perspective that he was an inconsiderate idiot (nothing wrong with an occasional chuckle, but you had to be there to appreciate how OTT his carry-on was) rather than interrupting my enjoyment of whatever I was watching, but I could hear him as plain as day over the noise my own movie was making through the headset.

Has I been seated next to or immediately in front of him, I don't think I could have stood it - would have had to say something.
Airline note to self: do not screen comedies.

FWIW I've been on several flights on Australian domestic where the Economy cabin is full of giggling and guffawing pax. This is more pronounced on flights where there is no personal AVOD and so they screen the same thing on the loopback for everyone (e.g. Two and a Half Men, Thank God You're Here, etc.)
Old Jan 23, 2010, 2:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
Originally Posted by tuapekastar

Different flight, but those seated near me on whichever transpac it was that I watched _You Don't Mess With The Zohan_ are probably due an apology.

Although I don't cackle, I've been told I have a loud and irritating laugh, and even TRYING to keep it down did not help.
Old Jan 23, 2010, 6:12 am

Programs: EBG, M&M Silver, BA Gold
People laughing annoys you??

Wow, where's your sense of fun? I love the sound of people laughing, and it always brings a smile to my face to hear and see it, especially if it's the uncontrollable type described above
Old Jan 23, 2010, 8:43 am

Programs: QF WP, VA, AA
Originally Posted by coastdk
People laughing annoys you??

Wow, where's your sense of fun? I love the sound of people laughing, and it always brings a smile to my face to hear and see it, especially if it's the uncontrollable type described above
People laughing does not annoy me...I've been known to do it myself on occasions!

But trust me (and you'll have to 'coz you weren't there ), this guy was well past what was reasonable in the circumstances.
Old Jan 23, 2010, 4:15 pm

Programs: A3*G, AC, IHG Plat AMB
Originally Posted by ctporter
People with seats towards the rear of a plane putting their carry-on in the bins over the seats near the front...
People DO that?

I'm not debating your complaint, I just can't imagine there are actually people out there with judgement that astoundingly poor!
Old Jan 23, 2010, 4:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Originally Posted by DJ Bitterbarn
People DO that?

I'm not debating your complaint, I just can't imagine there are actually people out there with judgement that astoundingly poor!
Oh yes. Usually sad businessmen now forced down back of the plane but haven't had closure on their worth to their company
Old Jan 23, 2010, 6:22 pm

Programs: AS MM, MVPGold100k, Hilton Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle
People DO that?

Yes, they do! Only once have I noticed a FA tell the passenger to move their bag down near their seat. I really feel for those folks that have to board last and find absolutely no room for their bags

CTP
Old Jan 23, 2010, 7:51 pm

Programs: AA EXP/2 MM
People DO that?

Not only do they do that, sometimes coach pax seated at the back of the plane (attempt to) store their belongings in the F bins. There are multiple threads on that topic.

Last edited by oklAAhoma; Jan 23, 2010 at 9:36 pm Reason: speeling
Old Jan 23, 2010, 8:03 pm

Programs: UA, AA, Delta
Yes, people do this. I usually have a boarding pass on UAL in section 2. I get on the plane. I usually choose a seat near the front of the plane and I will find the overhead bins full and nobody is sitting there--but there are people farther back in the plane. Obviously, they have used the overhead bins.

I was on one flight where a F passenger and an economy passenger had agreed to change seats so the F passenger could sit with a co-worker. The FA would not let the passengers move their luggage, which made no sense because the passengers had agreed on the trade.
Old Jan 24, 2010, 5:54 am
In Memoriam

Originally Posted by oklAAhoma
Not only do they do that, sometimes coach pax seated at the back of the plane (attempt to) store their belongings in the F bins. There are multiple threads on that topic.
If you think that will get your ire, I got on an Air Tran Flight last week, 6 non revs in Biz with me, all overhead bins in biz were full when I got on the plane as the first paying passenger.
Old Jan 24, 2010, 9:15 pm

Kids kicking the back of my seat with parents not caring...
Old Jan 24, 2010, 9:35 pm

Programs: AA Peon Gold
This applies everywhere, not only to airports while traveling - loud cell phone talkers.

I don't understand it but some people seem to be under that impression that talking as loud as you can into your cell phone about some inane topic makes you the most important person in the g'd world.

But it especially grates on me when I'm trying to focus on work in the AC or the FL. Seriously? Seriously? They have rooms for cell phone talkers here, or at the very least go try and find a vacant area of the club to carry on your conversation.
Old Jan 25, 2010, 9:58 pm

We all have passenger from hell stories but try this lady...

http://www.viddler.com/explore/failblog/videos/405/
Old Jan 25, 2010, 10:32 pm

Originally Posted by fied1k
We all have passenger from hell stories but try this lady...

http://www.viddler.com/explore/failblog/videos/405/
Yeesh...perish the thought!

These are the kinds of people who aren't doing anything wrong so you can't tell them that they're doing anything wrong. Same goes for, say, some guy that gets on board and has a conversation with a friend through his mobile banana.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.