Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Things that annoy me when I travel

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15, 2010, 6:56 pm
In Memoriam

Originally Posted by anat0l

To add to this, people regularly fly into airports where noise taxes are collected. Why should a traveller be penalised because some idiots decided that they would like to live near an airport or major flight path but they don't want the noise, even though the airport was there first, and in some cases, the flight path was too?
In this vein, I see the 30 foot tall noise/light barriers being installed up and down the interstate highways in the US. Why am I paying for a developer to enhance the value of his property? Why am I paying for a homeowner who bought the cheap lot next to the interstate?
Old Jan 15, 2010, 7:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

To add to this, people regularly fly into airports where noise taxes are collected. Why should a traveller be penalised because some idiots decided that they would like to live near an airport or major flight path but they don't want the noise, even though the airport was there first, and in some cases, the flight path was too?
So I assume you're okay with noise taxes if the airport came later, or substantially changed its size or character?
Old Jan 15, 2010, 7:42 pm

Programs: MR LT Titanium, UA 1K, DL Gold, AA EXP
Originally Posted by underpressure
In this vein, I see the 30 foot tall noise/light barriers being installed up and down the interstate highways in the US. Why am I paying for a developer to enhance the value of his property? Why am I paying for a homeowner who bought the cheap lot next to the interstate?
This is worse in an area like STL - where the houses in the city get no such sound barriers, but the suburban homes thrown up next to the interstate do. (believe me, my neighborhood was here before the interstate, and will be after it's gone, too).
Old Jan 16, 2010, 2:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
From another thread and which I had not realised was so bleedin' expensive, I would like to ask the committee if I could add: UK Airport Departure Tax.
Old Jan 16, 2010, 3:37 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by oklAAhoma
Or maybe stop being a lazy but and learn the lingo.

Seriosly. Can I assume you read this board to gain knowledge? If so, it seems a bit presumptious to reject the wisdom of those who are gracious enough to share that wisdom, unless they spoon feed it you. If others can take the time and effort to post their tips and hints, seems like you can find the time to "decode" the stuff you don't understand. Or is your time somehow more valuable than everyone else's?
Now let's take this from the points of view of the poster. If I post something, I do this so others can benefit from my post. In order to allow the maximum number of people to benefit, I avoid acronyms, airport codes, etc. It takes me little more effort to spell it out.

I assume that those who use such stuff in their posts do not want just anyone to understand it. This is particularly strange for posts from people seeking information. I have traveled much of the world, but do not have airport codes memorized. I have traveled much of the U.S. by car, and so do not have those airport codes memorized. So someone asking a question using airport codes or acronyms or other secret language I do not understand misses any useful information I might have. If I don't understand the post, I don't respond to it. Your loss, not mine.
Old Jan 16, 2010, 4:01 pm
Original Member

Even worse is when my bags have been priority tagged but they arrive in any random order; sometimes my bags are in the last 25-40% of bags to be delivered. So much for priority tagging.
I believe that for many airlines, a priority tag on your luggage means that it goes on first (meaning that it really does go on). But, alas, first on means it goes to the back of the cargo hold, implying last off. I'll take it.

Last edited by pgary; Jan 16, 2010 at 4:30 pm
Old Jan 16, 2010, 4:06 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by underpressure
a new one this week.

The hotel receipt showed a breakout of taxes.

1% room tax for homeless shelters added to hotel rooms.

This was on top of 7% tourism development tax for the county
4% tax to pay for a new areana for the local sports team.

In total there was 19.5% tax on a hotel room.
I would like to see my local hotels and car rental companies charge the same tax that the patron's home city charges me. With today's technology, should be easy.
Old Jan 16, 2010, 4:50 pm

Programs: AA EXP/2 MM
Originally Posted by pgary
Now let's take this from the points of view of the poster. If I post something, I do this so others can benefit from my post. In order to allow the maximum number of people to benefit, I avoid acronyms, airport codes, etc. It takes me little more effort to spell it out.
I think it's great that you are willing to take the time to spell everything out. I'm not a great typist, so for me it's much easier to type OKC than to spell out Oklahoma City every time it comes up. Maybe I should learn to become a better typist, but so far, most people here seem able to understand me.

I assume that those who use such stuff in their posts do not want just anyone to understand it.
I think that is a faulty assumption. I don't know of anyone here who uses acronyms to intentionally exclude others. Acronyms are common to any industry and to any IBB (internet bulletin board). FT (FlyerTalk) is no different.

This is particularly strange for posts from people seeking information. I have traveled much of the world, but do not have airport codes memorized. I have traveled much of the U.S. by car, and so do not have those airport codes memorized. So someone asking a question using airport codes or acronyms or other secret language I do not understand misses any useful information I might have. If I don't understand the post, I don't respond to it. Your loss, not mine.
First, I don't think anyone here has all the airport codes memorized. If I see one I don't recognize and I think it's pertinent to my understanding of a post, I either look it up or I skip the post. As you say, those asking questions may sometimes miss out on answers from the knowledgeable posters who don't take time to respond, but at the same time IMHO (in my humble opinion) those who refuse to look anything up are missing out as well. It's amazing the number of airport codes I do recognize by sight after 6 years on FT (FlyerTalk). Mostly, it's just more trivia to fill my brain, but every now and then it is actually useful to know an obscure airport code.

Second, FT (FlyerTalk) not only provides a glossary for frequently used terms and acronyms, it makes it very easy to request that a new term be added to the glossary. The remark I addressed was by someone who apparently comes to FT(FlyerTalk) to seek information, but demands that the answers be delivered to him in a particular format. A polite request would be one thing, but calling those who use acronyms lazy butts doesn't seem the best way to persuade others to offer help.

I learned to understand FT (FlyerTalk) speak, as have thousands of others. Again, JMHO (just my humble opinion) but it seems the OP (original poster) can't be very interested in learning if he or she is only willing to read posts that are written in a particular way. It reminds me of the folks who ask a question which is repeatedly asked because they can't be bothered to read an entire thread or to use the search feature.

Anyway, I've rambled on long enough. I respect that you view this topic differently than I do, but I am also confident that most FTers (FlyerTalkers) manage to find a middle ground that works for the majority more often than not.
Old Jan 17, 2010, 1:48 pm

Programs: CO / DL / UA / Priority Club / Gold Crown - Platinum - HHonors - Diomond - Hertz Presidents Club.
- People who crowd around the doorways like lemmings.
- People who stop at the bottom of the escalators.
- Butt Heads who park across the cross walks, forcing me to haul my tool box over the curb.
- People waiting until they get to the checkpoint before searching for their ID.
- Idiots that unpack and rearange their bags at the checkin counter.
- The dork that's going to sue the airline because the flight was delayed.
Old Jan 17, 2010, 3:41 pm

Originally Posted by Jim Davis Sr
Idiots that unpack and rearange their bags at the checkin counter.
Maybe I just don't want to admit I'm an idiot, but I've done that before and actually thought it made sense.

To me, it seems wiser to avoid paying overweight fees by taking a few moments to redistribute my belongings than to go ahead and pay the fees because I am worried that those watching me repack might be thinking I'm stupid. Obviously YMMV.
Old Jan 17, 2010, 4:40 pm

Programs: CO / DL / UA / Priority Club / Gold Crown - Platinum - HHonors - Diomond - Hertz Presidents Club.
Maybe I just don't want to admit I'm an idiot, but I've done that before and actually thought it made sense.

To me, it seems wiser to avoid paying overweight fees by taking a few moments to redistribute my belongings than to go ahead and pay the fees because I am worried that those watching me repack might be thinking I'm stupid. Obviously YMMV.
Then you should be doing it off on the side instead of holding everyone up.

My wife only flys twice a year, and has the sense to put her bags on the bathroom scale before she finishes packing.
Old Jan 17, 2010, 5:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)

I've done this once or twice, almost always coming back from family Christmas, although a few othe times with SEAsian low-cost carriers. The trick with this is to prepare the suspect bag in advance - violate the usual "heaviest items at the bottom" rule and include a few of the heavy items in such a way that they are are easily accessible, so as to avoid holding up the line.

Given the number of other times I've skirted the weight limit with a bag at 48-49lbs, I've got it to a near-art. A couple of other times, they agent has OK'ed the bag despite being a couple of pounds over.

I do miss the old 70lb limit, though.
Old Jan 17, 2010, 5:28 pm

Then you should be doing it off on the side instead of holding everyone up.
I do move aside.

When you said "at the check-in counter", I didn't realize you literally meant "at the check-in counter". I agree that one who holds up the line to rearrange his or her luggage is an idiot. So is the ticket agent who allows it to happen, rather than asking the repacker to step to the side.

My wife only flys twice a year, and has the sense to put her bags on the bathroom scale before she finishes packing.
Though I've flown over 1 million BIS, I've had to rearrange my luggage due to weight issues no more than half a dozen times. So far, though, it's never happened the outbound segment.

Last edited by oklAAhoma; Jan 17, 2010 at 6:07 pm Reason: another flippin' typo - it's an epidemic!
Old Jan 17, 2010, 5:41 pm

Originally Posted by nkedel
The trick with this is to prepare the suspect bag in advance - violate the usual "heaviest items at the bottom" rule and include a few of the heavy items in such a way that they are are easily accessible, so as to avoid holding up the line.
^^ Yes, that's good advice and I normally do something similar. I've only really miscalculated once. It took me a while to sort things out properly that time, but rest assured, no lines were held up in the process.

Given the number of other times I've skirted the weight limit with a bag at 48-49lbs, I've got it to a near-art. A couple of other times, they agent has OK'ed the bag despite being a couple of pounds over.
Normally, I am pretty good at packing close to 50 lbs without going over, but I've also been saved by a kindly ticket more than once.

I do miss the old 70lb limit, though.
Boy, howdy! So do I.
Old Jan 17, 2010, 5:48 pm

I do move aside.

When you said "at the check-in counter", I didn't realize you literally meant "at the check-in counter". I agree that one who holds up the line to rearrange his or her luggage is an idiot. So is the ticket agent who allows it to happen, rather than asking the repacker to step to the side.

Though I've flown over 1 million BIS, yet I've had to rearrange my luggage due to weight issues no more than half a dozen times. So far, though, it's never happened the outbound segment.
I should have made it more clear. Sorry. I'm actaully talking about the ones who hold up the lines. I'm at least 2 hours early for every flight, but I don't want to spend those 2 hours waiting in line.

I take a carryon and computer bag. My tools & Test Equipment weigh 68.5lbs. (Still free with elite status), so I'm in & out in seconds.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.