Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Things that annoy me when I travel

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14, 2010, 8:25 pm

Programs: AS, BA, AA
Originally Posted by tlvancouver
please reconsider that massive dose of cologne the morning before the flight - no matter how nice it might smell to you, the majority of travellers I talk to say that they prefer clean scent free neighbors
+ 1,000,000 - How bad do you smell if you need that many chemicals to cover it up?
Old Jan 15, 2010, 12:16 am

Programs: Marriott LT Plat by proxy, Sephora VIB, I have a low AA FF#...
Originally Posted by tlvancouver
please reconsider that massive dose of cologne the morning before the flight - no matter how nice it might smell to you, the majority of travellers I talk to say that they prefer clean scent free neighbors (especially in economy)
Since the previous poster brought this up, I'd like to third it. I'm extremely allergic, to the point where I seldom wear scents myself, and we scent-allergy-stricken are thought of even worse than the peanut-allergy-stricken.
Old Jan 15, 2010, 12:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Originally Posted by longwaybackhome
Since the previous poster brought this up, I'd like to third it. I'm extremely allergic, to the point where I seldom wear scents myself, and we scent-allergy-stricken are thought of even worse than the peanut-allergy-stricken.
No you're not
Old Jan 15, 2010, 12:27 am

Programs: Marriott LT Plat by proxy, Sephora VIB, I have a low AA FF#...
Originally Posted by Silver Fox
No you're not
Okay, I'm going to ask for a scent-free zone next time I fly, and count the people who laugh at me.
Old Jan 15, 2010, 7:35 am

Programs: AAdvantage
Parents who choose to travel with their children and think that it entitles them to any special treatment whatsoever or that the normal rules of decorum don't apply to them or their children. IE. cutting in line, asking for free anything, letting kids run amuck, asking me to switch seats so the child can look out the window...the list goes on. But like someone said in this thread already - it's the parents who are annoying, not the kids (who don't know any better).
Old Jan 15, 2010, 8:53 am

Programs: A3*G, AC, IHG Plat AMB
Originally Posted by Wiirachay
Amateurs in the coach line telling me "the end of the line is over there" as I walk towards the first/business/elite line.
Sadly, I've made the inverse of this mistake before and cut off others in the J "queue" because I thought they were just clustering for Y. She had no issue with it, but I do still feel bad about doing it.

Passengers crowding the boarding gate while first/business/elite passengers are boarding. The plane won't leave without you, and your seat is assigned.
I used to hate this, although I really only experience it now when I'm forced onto a LCC, but then learned to go with the mad rush:
1) Less chance of having to stow hand luggage 20 rows back because everyone and their dog is toeing the limits of what constitutes carry-on (let alone what's allowed) and then they put the dog up there too.

2) Just because we're rushing, it doesn't mean elite status is worth nothing. Tricks like knowing to bum-rush the back stairs (where applicable), park yourself near the doors to the bus (where applicable), or get your skycheck bags ready in advance (where applicable) can go a long way to scoring a pair of seats and/or overhead space, especially when neither is assigned or enforced. Prime example: Flying on an all-Y ATR in the winter. Hang back on the bus and get your skycheck bags ready, and then grab a seat at the back while everyone else fights in the cold to set themselves up to be the last off.

As far as other annoying behaviour, I'm indifferent to clapping, and will take part when it's the social norm (i.e. 99% of flights originating in central Europe).

I do, however, have zero sympathy for people who crowd the baggage belt, and less than zero for people who push in front of me to do so (I don't stand with my shins leaning against the belt, I mean). It may look like an opening to many, but it's there for courtesy to others who have better luck with baggage. And if someone feels they want to gamble that their bag will make it off the belt first and feel they can wait for it there, then they'd better be right. Because when my bag comes by, it's not going to get a second go-around; I'm going in there all elbows and knees and that bag is coming off. I certainly won't hit people with it, but I won't tell them that either.
Old Jan 15, 2010, 9:25 am

Programs: UA MileagePlus, AAAdvantage, Delta Skymiles
Originally Posted by DJ Bitterbarn
I do, however, have zero sympathy for people who crowd the baggage belt, and less than zero for people who push in front of me to do so (I don't stand with my shins leaning against the belt, I mean). It may look like an opening to many, but it's there for courtesy to others who have better luck with baggage. And if someone feels they want to gamble that their bag will make it off the belt first and feel they can wait for it there, then they'd better be right. Because when my bag comes by, it's not going to get a second go-around; I'm going in there all elbows and knees and that bag is coming off. I certainly won't hit people with it, but I won't tell them that either.
+1!

Can't believe no-one has mentioned this one yet!
Old Jan 15, 2010, 9:29 am

Programs: UA MileagePlus, AAAdvantage, Delta Skymiles
Originally Posted by Cha-cha-cha
  • The jerks who recline their seats right back into me. Where am I supposed to put my knees?
  • The bozos who complain when I recline my seat back. I mean, I paid for a seat that reclines, so what am I supposed to do, stay all scrunched up just because you want my seat's room?

Hahahahaha - I used to be in the former group, it used to drive me CRAZY, I was always brought up not to recline my seat in respect to the person behind me (to be fair, that person was usually one of my brothers!)

I've not joined the latter group, it's supposed to recline, and it will recline, so I'm going to have it that way - I always put it back upright during meal times though as a courtesy to other people.
Old Jan 15, 2010, 10:49 am

Programs: AA EXP/2 MM
Amen.

One time, as I was elbowing my way to the front to retrieve my bag, someone standing up against the belt had the nerve to ask me what was my hurry.

If there's no flippin' hurry to retrieve the bags, then why are so many (including the guy who asked about my hurry) crowded up against the carrousel? Grrrrr.
Old Jan 15, 2010, 11:08 am

Programs: WN A-List/CP, HHonors Diamond, CX J with AA miles, US Gold/*G
Originally Posted by ATSgrl
...it's still disrespectful to talk to one another as if the FA isn't even talking to us.
+1...which leads me to my little annoyance: occasional flyers who like to put on airs and act as if they're true FF's. It is painfully obvious how hard they try to look and act blase about everything.
Old Jan 15, 2010, 11:19 am

Programs: MR Lifetime Titanium, United Silver
I'm shocked no one has mentioned this yet - it's a HUGE annoyance for me.

THERE IS NO NEED TO TAKE UP THE WHOLE TABLE IN SECURITY!!

I mean, I take up only one bin space - I stack two bins on top of each other (one with laptop, other with coat, toiletries, etc) and roll my luggage alongside me up until the belt. The space of the table is then free for those who need a place to set something to get all their crap out and undress.

What holds us ALL up is the time it takes to take it all out and put it all back in - having additional space to do that speeds us all up. so once it's out, condense it until you get to the belt. It's not that hard and is simple common courtesy, especially in the elite line when we can usually unpack and pack quicker than the Kettles.
Old Jan 15, 2010, 11:35 am

Programs: A3*G, AC, IHG Plat AMB
Originally Posted by oklAAhoma
One time, as I was elbowing my way to the front to retrieve my bag, someone standing up against the belt had the nerve to ask me what was my hurry.
Wow....

While I'd love to go with "Because you smell, and I want to get away from it as fast as possible", I'd probably just notify them "Just a heads-up, this bag is heavy, and it's going to travel in an arc." and follow said arc with "you should have considered that before you decided to block the belt."
Old Jan 15, 2010, 12:33 pm

Programs: AA EXP/2 MM
Originally Posted by MemphisQueen
What holds us ALL up is the time it takes to take it all out and put it all back in - having additional space to do that speeds us all up. so once it's out, condense it until you get to the belt. It's not that hard and is simple common courtesy...
Agreed. It's common courtesy and common sense to do so.

Wow....

While I'd love to go with "Because you smell, and I want to get away from it as fast as possible"...
Not bad.
Old Jan 15, 2010, 1:39 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
My real pet peeve are people who bring children into the airport lounge, particularly a F class lounge, and proceed to turn the lounge into romper room. If I wanted screaming out of control children around me, I would just go to the gate. Another real pet peeve, are F class paxs that stand in the aisle rooting their bags for whatever they want out inflight with no concern about 150 or more paxs than need to board the a/c. Not only is it really annoying when a flight is already late, FAs cannot usually do a pre departure drink service until most of the paxs have boarded. So if there ends up little time between boarding finishing and departure time adios that drink.

Obvisiously, gate lice are an annoyance. But when F is called and there is an idiot standing in the way holding onto a Zone 6 boarding pass for dear life (like the a/c is going to leave without them) a loud "EXCUSE ME" usually does the trick.
Old Jan 15, 2010, 1:57 pm

Programs: AC E75K *G
I don't mind when the cabin is silent.

I don't mind if many people are talking all at once.

But it drives me crazy when there is only one conversation going on.

I don't know why. The people are doing nothing wrong at all. But it still drives me crazy.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.