Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Things that annoy me when I travel

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15, 2010, 2:23 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
Obvisiously, gate lice are an annoyance. But when F is called and there is an idiot standing in the way holding onto a Zone 6 boarding pass for dear life (like the a/c is going to leave without them) a loud "EXCUSE ME" usually does the trick.
I usually state “Hot soup, coming through!” in an authoritative and loud — but not yelling or screaming — voice.

You would be surprised how well this works in almost any situation when people are blocking your way...
Old Jan 15, 2010, 2:54 pm

Programs: pants
People who stand up and scramble for their bags before the plane gets anywhere near the gate.
( Yes that does happen in lots of places overseas )
Old Jan 15, 2010, 3:11 pm

Programs: Hertz Gold, BAEC, FR Top Tier
Originally Posted by oklAAhoma
Amen.

One time, as I was elbowing my way to the front to retrieve my bag, someone standing up against the belt had the nerve to ask me what was my hurry.

If there's no flippin' hurry to retrieve the bags, then why are so many (including the guy who asked about my hurry) crowded up against the carrousel? Grrrrr.
+1.

Last week at LHR, a lady (?) crowding the carousel said to me as I gently (and politely, with an "excuse me", moved forward to retrieve my bag (elite-tagged, and on this occasion. one of the first on the belt) said: "hey I cannot see the bags now".

I simply said "but I can see mine", lent forward to collect it, and walked off.

She was then speechless, but her face spoke a 1,000 words...

Last edited by GIGFY; Jan 21, 2010 at 3:12 pm
Old Jan 15, 2010, 4:05 pm

Programs: NZ, EK, QF, SQ.
Originally Posted by roadrunner21
People who stand up and scramble for their bags before the plane gets anywhere near the gate.
( Yes that does happen in lots of places overseas )
Particularly China, we found. They were standing up in the aisles and grabbing their bags the second the wheels hit the runway.
Old Jan 15, 2010, 5:29 pm

Baggage claim is a mugs game these days; probably my most hated process of the whole air travel deal with the possible exception of security screening.

I will admit to parking myself a spot closest to where the bags enter the carousel; of course I stay behind the trolley/safety line (if applicable). I must admit to being annoyed that I can have all the priority in the world to leave the plane first, be processed for immigration first, but when I get to the baggage carousel, half the plane has arrived before the first bags decide to make an appearance.

Even worse is when my bags have been priority tagged but they arrive in any random order; sometimes my bags are in the last 25-40% of bags to be delivered. So much for priority tagging.

As for retrieving bags, if you want to stand near me, that's your funeral. I'll try not to hit you, but I'll not make any guarantees. I don't like it when people stand too close to me in a situation like baggage claim anyway, because that's a real pickpocketing risk.
Old Jan 15, 2010, 5:45 pm
In Memoriam

a new one this week.

The hotel receipt showed a breakout of taxes.

1% room tax for homeless shelters added to hotel rooms.

This was on top of 7% tourism development tax for the county
4% tax to pay for a new areana for the local sports team.

In total there was 19.5% tax on a hotel room.
Old Jan 15, 2010, 5:56 pm

Originally Posted by underpressure
a new one this week.

What happened to the other 7.5%? I suppose that pays your local politician?
Old Jan 15, 2010, 6:02 pm

Speaking of baggage claim:

the people who stand, often in a group of two or three or four, right next to the carousel with one or two or three baggage carts, thus blocking a good ten or fifteen foot stretch of the carousel frontage from anyone else during the whole lengthy time they're waiting for their own bags! STAND BACK!
Old Jan 15, 2010, 6:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

a new one this week.

Where was this?
Old Jan 15, 2010, 6:11 pm
In Memoriam

Originally Posted by PTravel
Where was this?
Miami....

My issue isn't that homeless need help, but charging a guy from Georgia to help fix Miami's homeless problem is just stupid.

I happen to work on that issue at home.
Old Jan 15, 2010, 6:13 pm
In Memoriam

Originally Posted by anat0l
What happened to the other 7.5%? I suppose that pays your local politician?
State and local sales tax.
Old Jan 15, 2010, 6:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Marriott or Hilton hot tub with a big drink <glub> Beverage: To-Go Bag™ DYKWIA: SSSS /rolleyes ☈ Date Night: Costco
Programs: Sea Shell Lounge Platinum, TSA Pre✓ Refusnik Diamond, PWP Gold, FT subset of the subset
a new one this week.

Now come on, those are investments.
Old Jan 15, 2010, 6:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Miami....

My issue isn't that homeless need help, but charging a guy from Georgia to help fix Miami's homeless problem is just stupid.

I happen to work on that issue at home.
I agree with you completely.
Old Jan 15, 2010, 6:34 pm
In Memoriam

Originally Posted by PTravel
I agree with you completely.
I'll add that if they use a portion of that 7.5% state and local taxes for that, more power to them.

Charging me for tourism development when I have obviously traveled to get there is another insult.

Two of the major conventions that I have attended for years have fianlly pulled the plug on Miami. ^
Old Jan 15, 2010, 6:46 pm

At one point in Australian domestic air travel, AN (Ansett) collapsed and left many people out of work and devoid of their benefits. The government was strongly lobbied to dish out support to help all employees recover their benefits and assistance to find new work. The result of the government support - which was almost a "blood out of stone" situation - was a new surcharge on all domestic air tickets to the tune of $10 per seat.

So QF and DJ pax were all dishing out dosh to donate to out-of-work AN staff, despite:
  • The capitulation of the airline was a lot due to the Tasman rival who took it over then subsequently stripped it and mismanaged it; they "paid off" the Australian government to avoid a more extensive inquiry
  • The money collected through the surcharge by the Government was not convincingly shown to have all gone to former AN employees

So we all pay things that we would otherwise feel we shouldn't be responsible for.

To add to this, people regularly fly into airports where noise taxes are collected. Why should a traveller be penalised because some idiots decided that they would like to live near an airport or major flight path but they don't want the noise, even though the airport was there first, and in some cases, the flight path was too?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.