Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Tools
Reload this Page >

Airline Route Mapper tool (windows based)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 7, 2015, 9:08 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TWA884
Latest version (as of 24-Oct-2021) - available at http://depositfiles.com/files/2c753ofyy.
Print Wikipost

Airline Route Mapper tool (windows based)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28, 2010, 7:45 am

Summer '10 Update

Is there any chance of an update soon to represent the 2010 summer season, either for July or August ???

I must say, I have been waiting very patiently for one, in fact I have been checking the website every day for a few weeks only to find that its still on the April schedule :-(

This is truly an amazing program, and I have spent countless hours using it since it came out a few years ago.
Old Jul 28, 2010, 12:27 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, AA, USair, United, Amex MR, ICHC, HHonors Silver
awesome tool! thank you.
Old Jul 28, 2010, 5:23 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold
waynecounty, Welcome to FlyerTalk!
Old Aug 2, 2010, 9:52 am

Hello all, I'm new to this forum but I've registered to share a project I've been working on based on the data provided with the Airline Route Mapper tool. http://www.whereables.co.uk is a tool that allows you to view the worlds airports, routes, airlines on a map. You're all already very familiar with this kind of application!

In terms of actual functionality and utility the map is left far behind by the ARM tool but what I've focussed on here is both the design of the interface to make interaction with the information slightly more accessible and the provision of other services around that data, in this case a review system for each airport and airline.

It was started as a spare time project so there was no real direction or outcome planned for it but I'd be very interested to hear what a frequent flyer community make of it and what they would need from a site like this. Or if they would even need it at all!

Thanks in advance, I look forward to getting more involved in this community!
Old Aug 2, 2010, 3:57 pm

Originally Posted by thewelk
Hello all, I'm new to this forum but I've registered to share a project I've been working on based on the data provided with the Airline Route Mapper tool. http://www.whereables.co.uk is a tool that allows you to view the worlds airports, routes, airlines on a map. You're all already very familiar with this kind of application!

In terms of actual functionality and utility the map is left far behind by the ARM tool but what I've focussed on here is both the design of the interface to make interaction with the information slightly more accessible and the provision of other services around that data, in this case a review system for each airport and airline.

It was started as a spare time project so there was no real direction or outcome planned for it but I'd be very interested to hear what a frequent flyer community make of it and what they would need from a site like this. Or if they would even need it at all!

Thanks in advance, I look forward to getting more involved in this community!
Thanks, looks promising.
Old Aug 2, 2010, 7:34 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by thewelk
Hello all, I'm new to this forum...
thewelk, welcome to FlyerTalk! Thanks for posting your application.

John
Old Aug 6, 2010, 5:07 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by waynecounty
Is there any chance of an update soon to represent the 2010 summer season, either for July or August ???
There will be an update in August, sorry for keeping silent on this.
Old Aug 6, 2010, 7:11 pm

Originally Posted by cockpitvisit
There will be an update in August, sorry for keeping silent on this.
Awesome !!! Definitely looking forward to it !!!
Old Aug 6, 2010, 11:42 pm

Programs: *A Gold, ST Gold; SPG Plat
Thumbs up

Second that! Can't tell you useful this tool is for researching trip ideas. Thanks again for an awesome tool!

Caesar
Old Aug 7, 2010, 10:33 pm

Programs: one world
3D Globe Airline Route Mapper

A big thanks to the maker of the original tool, the Airline Route Mapper, one of a kind... This tool is the only thing I know of that provides these unique amazing features, and was my inspiration in planning my around-the-world trip for next year.

I learned 3D programming with Windows' new WPF model, and wanted to try to create a 3D version of the tool, allowing for visualization of the route I would take on a transparent globe. So anyway, after way too many wasted hours, I have created a 3D version of this tool, not ready for release, but about as good as it will get anytime soon likely!

Warning/Admission: My 3D version is much slower than the 2D version - due in part to its nature, and in part to my limited programming skills and possibly the approach I used which is easier for a novice to use (WPF graphics instead of native). However, on my development computer and a couple of test computers, it seems to work fairly well, not flawless, and admittedly much slower than the original awesome tool.

It requires the .NET 4.0 Framework, which you can download from Microsoft's web site. Just search for that if you don't have it. If you try to run the .exe and it doesn't run, this is likely why. There should be no other required software. The airline routes are simply taken from the existing data generously shared by the creator of the original Airline Route Mapper. I embedded the data in the 3D tool directly so it is less files to distribute, although I could rewrite it easily to use .dat files like the original if updates for routes become available.

I would like to improve the tool, if anybody likes it and thinks it is worth working further on. Right now I think I got 80% of the features I found in the original ARM tool, but some may be missing.

So without further ado... here is a link to the 3D Earth Route Mapper:
Download Link

Hello,

I am releasing Airline Route Mapper, a new tool that allows you to view and explore route maps of over 600 airlines.

I wrote this tool as a hobby project for my personal enjoyment and am making it freely available to fellow FlyerTalkers. Suggestions or bug reports are welcome.

Download page

Program last updated: September 4, 2008

Last edited by jburchel; Sep 26, 2010 at 12:34 am Reason: wrong link
Old Aug 7, 2010, 11:39 pm

3D Globe Airline Route Mapper

A big thanks to the maker of the original tool, the Airline Route Mapper, one of a kind... This tool is the only thing I know of that provides these unique amazing features, and was my inspiration in planning my around-the-world trip for next year.

I learned 3D programming with Windows' new WPF model, and wanted to try to create a 3D version of the tool, allowing for visualization of the route I would take on a transparent globe. So anyway, after way too many wasted hours, I have created a 3D version of this tool, not ready for release, but about as good as it will get anytime soon likely!

Warning/Admission: My 3D version is much slower than the 2D version - due in part to its nature, and in part to my limited programming skills and possibly the approach I used which is easier for a novice to use (WPF graphics instead of native). However, on my development computer and a couple of test computers, it seems to work fairly well, not flawless, and admittedly much slower than the original awesome tool.

It requires the .NET 4.0 Framework, which you can download from Microsoft's web site. Just search for that if you don't have it. If you try to run the .exe and it doesn't run, this is likely why. There should be no other required software. The airline routes are simply taken from the existing data generously shared by the creator of the original Airline Route Mapper. I embedded the data in the 3D tool directly so it is less files to distribute, although I could rewrite it easily to use .dat files like the original if updates for routes become available.

I would like to improve the tool, if anybody likes it and thinks it is worth working further on. Right now I think I got 80% of the features I found in the original ARM tool, but some may be missing.

Download Link

Hello,

I am releasing Airline Route Mapper, a new tool that allows you to view and explore route maps of over 600 airlines.

I wrote this tool as a hobby project for my personal enjoyment and am making it freely available to fellow FlyerTalkers. Suggestions or bug reports are welcome.

Download page

Last edited by jburchel; Sep 26, 2010 at 12:35 am Reason: wrong link
Old Aug 8, 2010, 12:10 am

3D Globe Airline Route Mapper (corrected link)

Download link

Hello,

Download page

Last edited by jburchel; Sep 26, 2010 at 12:27 am Reason: bad link
Old Aug 19, 2010, 8:45 pm
Original Poster

Exclamation New update available

A new update is now available.

• Route maps updated to reflect August 2010.
  • CM and NW removed from the SkyTeam list.
Old Aug 20, 2010, 1:45 am

Programs: A3/Gold, BA/Gold + other less precious metals
Thank you, once again! ^
Old Aug 20, 2010, 2:21 am

Yay! OpenFlights also updated. ^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.