Reload this Page >

Flighty - A new Flight Tracking app for iOS

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Flighty - A new Flight Tracking app for iOS

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19, 2023, 2:37 pm

I love this app in the US but it's definitely not as reliable in Europe. Where is the app data coming from? I recently flew on FlyOne which is an obscure Moldovan carrier. FlightAware had live tracking of the aircraft but Flighty did not. Even after the flight, Flighty said it didn't have a record of the flight landing or taking off. The flight showed up on my iPhone home screen for a few hours after and then eventually disappeared.

Also, is there a way to backup my flight data? I'd like to have it in some kind of Excel or HTML format in case I ever switch apps or the app goes away.
lsquare likes this.
Old Sep 19, 2023, 4:01 pm
Company Representative, Flighty App

Programs: flighty.com
Originally Posted by rondinix
Honestly I don't know which user would prefer to pay weekly and to lose the most useful features of the app like email import and calendar sync.
You could have left the montly plan with the whole features together with the weekly one...just say that you have found that the yearly is more remunerative in the long term, and that you just wanted to force the monthly subscribers into buying the yearly plan to have the "real pro", since no one sane of mind would pay for that useless plan.
Also for people like me who have the necessity to switch between countries due to app restrictions it's really unfeasible, since we would lose access to the plan and have to pay a whole year again at each change.

Will stay with App in the air...I wanted to migrate all my records and use Flighty, but it's impossible to do it without the full calendar import feature of the pro.
Gosh...at least let people import the past history without having them to pay for a year long plan that they might not use.

Sad to see that greed wins over rationale...evidently easy money is worth losing potential customers in favour of pennies.
Too many incorrect assumptions, insinuations, and important learnings that I don't want to give to competitors for free here, but I'll just say: I'm sorry, but the vast majority feels differently, almost none of these insinuations are correct, and features that are expensive to run are in the more expensive plan.

Originally Posted by rondinix
Also for people like me who have the necessity to switch between countries due to app restrictions it's really unfeasible, since we would lose access to the plan and have to pay a whole year again at each change.
You CAN switch countries. This narrative is entirely incorrect.

And... if someone somehow had some super obscure issue, that's what support is for – we'll fix it.
lsquare and Igene like this.

Last edited by flightyryan; Sep 19, 2023 at 4:10 pm
Old Sep 19, 2023, 4:06 pm

Originally Posted by poisson
I love this app in the US but it's definitely not as reliable in Europe. Where is the app data coming from? I recently flew on FlyOne which is an obscure Moldovan carrier. FlightAware had live tracking of the aircraft but Flighty did not. Even after the flight, Flighty said it didn't have a record of the flight landing or taking off. The flight showed up on my iPhone home screen for a few hours after and then eventually disappeared.
We get data from almost everywhere and FlightAware is a major partner, so that shouldn't be possible. Which means we can fix it. I'm guessing the obscure carrier threw something off in our system.

If you can send the exact flight to us via the in-app Help Center, then I can look (and most likely fix it)!

Originally Posted by poisson
Also, is there a way to backup my flight data? I'd like to have it in some kind of Excel or HTML format in case I ever switch apps or the app goes away.
Yep, contact us via in-app Help Center and ask for an export of your data. 👍
lsquare likes this.

Last edited by flightyryan; Sep 19, 2023 at 4:15 pm
Old Sep 19, 2023, 4:27 pm

Originally Posted by lensovet
All in-app purchases are tied to your App Store account, which can be distinct and different from your iCloud account.
True!

Originally Posted by lensovet
unless youve somehow rolled your own in-app upgrading process, which would be in violation of App Store policies.
Not true.

Our Servers know which (anonymous) User ID's are Pro. Based in part on the logged-in iCloud account. And those User ID's get Pro features. Presto
SPN Lifer and lsquare like this.

Last edited by flightyryan; Sep 19, 2023 at 7:10 pm
Old Sep 21, 2023, 2:38 am

flightyryan I have some questions and feature requests, if you don't mind.
  • Is there any update on the CSV import?
  • Are you considering adding the reason of a flight? ( business, leisure etc )
  • Are you considering a personal note section in the flights?
  • It would be great if Flighty would mention if I have flown the specific plane already (reg-number)
  • Under the all-time Flighty stats, it would be great to see the following statistics: Airliner, type of plane, which class, countries, continents etc.
    With so much data available, it would be great to see more statistics.

Last edited by iRobert; Sep 21, 2023 at 3:16 am
Old Sep 22, 2023, 8:03 am

As a feature request, I'd love to see an overlay of the weather radar in the app.
TalkingPoint and flightyryan like this.
Old Sep 22, 2023, 3:24 pm

Originally Posted by iRobert
flightyryan I have some questions and feature requests, if you don't mind.
  • Is there any update on the CSV import?
  • Are you considering adding the reason of a flight? ( business, leisure etc )
  • Are you considering a personal note section in the flights?
  • It would be great if Flighty would mention if I have flown the specific plane already (reg-number)
  • Under the all-time Flighty stats, it would be great to see the following statistics: Airliner, type of plane, which class, countries, continents etc.
    With so much data available, it would be great to see more statistics.
I truly know this is wildly annoying, but I hesitate to comment on specific plans. I used to in the past, then a plan would change for good reason, but as a user you don't know/care the good reason, and it was worse for everyone overall. I'm sorry.

I can say that we are considering every single one of those. But your input still helps to +1 it. What does help is to include "when" and "how" for requests. That helps us find the problem, which is more important than the solution.
Old Sep 22, 2023, 7:14 pm

Programs: AS 100k, BA GGL, UA 1k, DL DM, AC SE, B6 Mosaic4, Hyatt/Hilton/Wyndham/IHG Diamond, Marriot Ti
Originally Posted by flightyryan
I truly know this is wildly annoying, but I hesitate to comment on specific plans. I used to in the past, then a plan would change for good reason, but as a user you don't know/care the good reason, and it was worse for everyone overall. I'm sorry.

I can say that we are considering every single one of those. But your input still helps to +1 it. What does help is to include "when" and "how" for requests. That helps us find the problem, which is more important than the solution.
Just another vote for notes. Especially looking to tag aircraft with things like broken wifi or seats etc. I fly multiple times a week on specific routes that often see the same aircraft utilized on them and find myself always reviewing my spreadsheet when choosing a flight/seat to make sure its not on my bad list. Would love to store it in flighty to consolidate!
flightyryan likes this.
Old Sep 23, 2023, 4:37 am

flightyryan many of the other apps / services we all use on an ongoing basis employ tools such as public roadmaps and feedback on existing and/or new product features and ideas. Two I can think of right off the top of my head are Spotify and Smartsheet.
I totally get the general reasoning behind not publishing strict roadmaps but I believe we will all benefit if you at least softly commit to some development goals and allow the community to somewhat steer the development before it happens.
P.S. Loving the new update with the AppleWatch add-on, served me great on my last trip and came out right on time
iRobert likes this.
Old Sep 24, 2023, 4:11 am

Ryanair flights data

When Ive taken flights with Ryanair, Ive almost always found that Flighty wont have critical information. I suspect this is because of how Ryanair files their flight information and/or the provider for flight data.
  1. Terminal and gate information often only shows up in the Ryanair app, and not Flighty. At best, the terminal information shows up a few hours before the flight, but gate info almost never does. (I dont know what this is like statistically across all flights, just the ones Ive flown.)
  2. Inbound flight tracking doesnt work, because the tail number often only shows up after the doors are armed and locked after gate departure. I suspect Ryanair doesnt actually file this information via ADS-B until gate departure. Ive been able to manually track the inbound flight by looking at flight number minus/plus 1 digit, which will typically be the inbound aircraft on most of their outstation airports. (This technique does not always work at their major bases like Dublin, Luton, Stansted etc where the inbound flight is not necessarily from the same airport where outbound is flying to.) Statistically, I dont know how true this is across all Ryanair flights but I wonder how generically this technique could be used to track inbound flights with a low degree of confidence.
  3. I also suspect that Ryanair doesnt always consistently close a flight as finished on ADS-B, because I find after landing, Flighty will keep tracking the aircraft position for the NEXT flight the tail number is doing as the current flight.

Ryanair is obviously a very big airline in European short haul (although Im not sure how popular its among Flighty users). It seems their web/mobile
apps have data not otherwise found on flight tracking apps because they have these custom APIs they publish flight info through, and nowhere else.
Old Sep 24, 2023, 1:57 pm

Originally Posted by ankurdotb
When Ive taken flights with Ryanair, Ive almost always found that Flighty wont have critical information. I suspect this is because of how Ryanair files their flight information and/or the provider for flight data.
  1. Terminal and gate information often only shows up in the Ryanair app, and not Flighty. At best, the terminal information shows up a few hours before the flight, but gate info almost never does. (I dont know what this is like statistically across all flights, just the ones Ive flown.)
  2. Inbound flight tracking doesnt work, because the tail number often only shows up after the doors are armed and locked after gate departure. I suspect Ryanair doesnt actually file this information via ADS-B until gate departure. Ive been able to manually track the inbound flight by looking at flight number minus/plus 1 digit, which will typically be the inbound aircraft on most of their outstation airports. (This technique does not always work at their major bases like Dublin, Luton, Stansted etc where the inbound flight is not necessarily from the same airport where outbound is flying to.) Statistically, I dont know how true this is across all Ryanair flights but I wonder how generically this technique could be used to track inbound flights with a low degree of confidence.
  3. I also suspect that Ryanair doesnt always consistently close a flight as finished on ADS-B, because I find after landing, Flighty will keep tracking the aircraft position for the NEXT flight the tail number is doing as the current flight.

Ryanair is obviously a very big airline in European short haul (although Im not sure how popular its among Flighty users). It seems their web/mobile
apps have data not otherwise found on flight tracking apps because they have these custom APIs they publish flight info through, and nowhere else.
You are correct that Ryanair is a leader of not sharing data with anyone .

Those APIs are their own private APIs, only they have the keys to use them. Thats why you see errors.
ankurdotb likes this.
Old Sep 24, 2023, 8:24 pm

I see you recently released Apple Watch support. Congratulations, you just earned yourself a patron.

You are correct that Ryanair is a leader of not sharing data with anyone .

Those APIs are their own private APIs, only they have the keys to use them. Thats why you see errors.
Have you considered AirLabs.co or trying to request a key from RyanAir? I would imagine something should be possible.

Last edited by TWA884; Sep 24, 2023 at 8:47 pm Reason: Merge consecutive posts by the same member.
Old Sep 24, 2023, 10:40 pm

Originally Posted by Cyberpower678
I see you recently released Apple Watch support. Congratulations, you just earned yourself a patron.

Wohoo! Yes I keep meaning to post the news here with images.

Originally Posted by Cyberpower678
Have you considered AirLabs.co or trying to request a key from RyanAir? I would imagine something should be possible.
Airlabs is 💩. Companies don't really give out private api keys. Not really how it works. They make a public API, which takes tons of effort, and then they trade/sell it because it's valuable. As everyone on ft is aware, RyanAir isn't the most... advanced? in that stuff.
Old Sep 24, 2023, 10:57 pm

Introducing Flighty on Apple Watch!

Includes Complications, Smart Stack, and iOS 17 StandBy Mode.

# APPLE WATCH
- Watch app: Browse your flights, view live status, progress, delays, gate, and more.
- Complications: Unique intuitive visual design. Live flight info like your gate and departure time without even letting go of your suitcase. Requires Flighty Pro.
- Smart Stack: Don't fly enough to add the complication? No big deal, in watchOS 10 just rotate the Digital Crown to see it during flights. Requires Flighty Pro.

And more:
- iOS 17 Standby Mode: Rest easy with flight status and time at your bedside. Or see when a friend arrives from across the kitchen.
- Improved schedule change and cancellation detection

My favorite parts are the in-flight progress bar, and the smart switching between showing your gate, seat, progress, weather, baggage, etc so the right info is always on the watch face.

Hope you like it! Thoughts welcome.
Attached Images      
Rare, lsquare, BThumme and 3 others like this.
Old Sep 25, 2023, 5:40 am

Wohoo! Yes I keep meaning to post the news here with images.

Airlabs is 💩. Companies don't really give out private api keys. Not really how it works. They make a public API, which takes tons of effort, and then they trade/sell it because it's valuable. As everyone on ft is aware, RyanAir isn't the most... advanced? in that stuff.
Thats a shame. Either way, nobody I know actually flies Ryanair, so not the biggest issue for me.

On a different topic, any considerations adding additional languages?
lsquare likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.