Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Tools
Reload this Page >

Google Flights - Changes, Updates, Glitches and Help [consolidated thread]

Google Flights - Changes, Updates, Glitches and Help [consolidated thread]

Old Feb 18, 14, 11:31 pm
  #31  
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Las Vegas or Park City
Posts: 169
Just found this

https://www.google.com/flights/explo...5;d=2014-02-18
antignos is offline  
Old Feb 19, 14, 11:24 am
  #32  
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: USA
Programs: Delta Skymiles Platinum
Posts: 120
Originally Posted by antignos View Post
Excellent find! There are also some patterns of note - Sundays and Mondays tend to be the most expensive days to travel, with Wednesday and Thursday being the cheapest...
docmoney is offline  
Old Feb 19, 14, 11:28 am
  #33  
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Pit
Programs: AA Gold SPG Gold HHonors Gold
Posts: 238
Originally Posted by antignos View Post
This is an awesome tool. Great for searching for MR's to all cities ^
teese35 is offline  
Old Feb 19, 14, 11:41 am
  #34  
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: USA
Programs: Delta Skymiles Platinum
Posts: 120
And when you put your mouse cursor over the bars, it shows the airline, so I can pick prices with a loyalty program in mind! Niiice
docmoney is offline  
Old Feb 19, 14, 12:10 pm
  #35  
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: ORD
Posts: 19
Originally Posted by antignos View Post
Great find, I was looking for any random cheap trip from ORD, this really simplifies the search. ^^
Roadrunna is offline  
Old Feb 25, 14, 2:47 pm
  #36  
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: NYC/CLT/LHR
Programs: AA Plat, Bonvoy Gold, SkyMiles Dirt
Posts: 445
Google Flights Map Tool

I tried searching before I posted but couldn't find a post on this, but I've found using the map tool on flights.google.com very useful.

-Put in any city pair and date into your search boxes
-Click on the map pin in the right hand corner
-You see all the pricing for all the flights from your origination city for the dates you're searching anywhere in the world.

It's a nice way to try and find MR in a more visual manner than just plugging in random info into ITA. Of course ITA powers the flights.google.com search....

Anyone else using this?
plon is offline  
Old Feb 25, 14, 3:55 pm
  #37  
Moderator, Trip Reports
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: 6km East of EPAYE
Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Posts: 9,531
Been using it for months, typically in conjunction with ITA. It is a good place to start for an MR, or go find some 'clues.'

Definitely not a replacement for the old fare compare page but good.
Madone59 is offline  
Old Feb 27, 14, 2:47 am
  #38  
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: SNA
Programs: UA 1K, HH DIA
Posts: 1,780
great tool, thanks for posting that
mapu is offline  
Old Mar 8, 14, 2:07 pm
  #39  
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Las Vegas or Park City
Posts: 169
It's been around for a long time. Posts all over the net, blogs and FT regarding it. Actually removed the bars feature for a little while a few weeks ago, but appears to be back. Same as ITA

Try this also

https://www.google.com/flights/explo...5;d=2014-02-18
antignos is offline  
Old Mar 10, 14, 4:26 pm
  #40  
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: BNA
Programs: UA 1k, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Posts: 273
I just found it this weekend and I'm hopelessly addicted. Late to the party, I guess.
rstlsgirl is offline  
Old Jan 3, 15, 8:09 am
  #41  
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 9
Google Flights = Nonexistent Fares?

I keep coming up with fares on google flights that don't seem to exist. More specifically, I'm getting good fares that are most a combination of Lufthansa and Air Canada flights. Most only allow click through to Lufthansa or a third party booking agency. If I click through to Lufthansa, the fares never exist and the flight numbers do not exist. If I click through to the booking agency, I either get an error message or a screen saying that the flight is sold out, which is very unlikely. If I go the Air Canada website, they won't let me book the fare since part is a Lufthansa flight.

Google flights also gives me the option of calling Air Canada. This means staying on hold for 45 minutes to see if it is possible and even then paying the extra fee to book over the phone.

Questions:

1. Is this a common problem?
2. Does calling Air Canada to book fare not on their website work?
carlost is offline  
Old Jan 4, 15, 3:45 pm
  #42  
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 467
Why not try to book it on any of the big OTAs? Orbitz, expedia,... or meta search engines: hipmunk, kayak,...?
fuyao is offline  
Old Jan 4, 15, 8:44 pm
  #43  
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Loud, dark, warm, lots of ethernet cables, and in some rack space.
Programs: AA:EXP
Posts: 354
Originally Posted by carlost View Post
I keep coming up with fares on google flights that don't seem to exist. More specifically, I'm getting good fares that are most a combination of Lufthansa and Air Canada flights. Most only allow click through to Lufthansa or a third party booking agency. If I click through to Lufthansa, the fares never exist and the flight numbers do not exist. If I click through to the booking agency, I either get an error message or a screen saying that the flight is sold out, which is very unlikely. If I go the Air Canada website, they won't let me book the fare since part is a Lufthansa flight.

Google flights also gives me the option of calling Air Canada. This means staying on hold for 45 minutes to see if it is possible and even then paying the extra fee to book over the phone.

Questions:

1. Is this a common problem?
2. Does calling Air Canada to book fare not on their website work?
Sometimes the engine caches search results. It clears out after 10 minutes or so often. It saves on request spam and other costs involved. However, sometime the fare might exist and you will need to dig around and manually enter the information on other OTAs.
Server is offline  
Old Jan 6, 15, 6:04 am
  #44  
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 9
Originally Posted by fuyao View Post
Why not try to book it on any of the big OTAs? Orbitz, expedia,... or meta search engines: hipmunk, kayak,...?
Obviously. That was the first thing I tried. None shows the same fare or even the same itinerary. The itinerary is still there on google flights but still unbookable.
carlost is offline  
Old Jan 7, 15, 10:40 am
  #45  
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 467
Originally Posted by carlost View Post
Obviously. That was the first thing I tried. None shows the same fare or even the same itinerary. The itinerary is still there on google flights but still unbookable.
Its also possible g flights is showing wrong availability.
Check expertflyer or ask someone with GDS access to check for availability
fuyao is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: