Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Tools
Reload this Page >

Google Flights - Changes, Updates, Glitches and Help [consolidated thread]

Google Flights - Changes, Updates, Glitches and Help [consolidated thread]

Old Nov 22, 2017, 8:26 am

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
It has devalued further but certainly not crashed. And since you'll be paying in IDR when being redirected it probably doesn't make a difference.

The GF exchange rate is off by a multiple ~1,000. 100,000,000 IDR suddenly become 61Ł
Old Nov 22, 2017, 2:06 pm

Programs: Delta SkyMiles
Originally Posted by stuart_f
Agree on the useless white space - it may look good on a 'mood board' but it's impractical for the user. Shrinking the page in my browser using 80% zoom helps quite a bit.

Links to book flights via Google Travel seem new. eg Book on Google with KLM
These links have been around for a little while now. Presumably, now that Google is phasing out the QPX express API in order to prioritize booking through Google Flights, they will transition to a system that will make all results shown have at least one configuration bookable with Google Flights directly, except perhaps for some airlines which have price display or other issues (Southwest comes to mind). This is an unfortunate but predictable trend. One worries if Google might next take action designed to counter the effectiveness of the ITA Matrix script or Bookwithmatrix.com, which would be even more problematic.

Regarding functionality, I did notice one annoying change, which is that if there is a result that can only be booked by calling the airline, it no longer displays the flight numbers that you should quote to the booking agent in order to find the correct configuration and price. This feature is particularly useful when codeshare flights are involved, because often differences in operating or marketing carrier can change the cost of the fare drastically.
Old Nov 23, 2017, 12:24 pm

I'm not seeing any weird pricing when recreating your search. fares look normal.
Old Jan 22, 2018, 1:44 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Anyone notice the GF seems to randomly drop some of the flights you're tracking?

I was at 55, added some and now it's showing only 47.
Old Jan 28, 2018, 11:14 am

Is Google Flights being Blocked from Showing SkyTeam Fares?

Hey Everyone,

While partaking in my favourite past time (hunting for low cost fares to do milage runs) I started to notice a pattern - any Delta itinerary I put together I was greeted with the following:

Any idea what's going on here? This seems to happen across the board for Delta and in many cases for SkyTeam partners like KLM and AF and has been happening for the past 2-3 days.

Safe Travels,

James
Old Jan 28, 2018, 4:22 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K
Apologies for the long post and this is my just guess so I could be wrong but...

I don't think it's SkyTeam limiting Google, but rather something fundamental has changed in the way Google Flights displays pricing and it's causing problems.

I have been getting the "Book with a travel agent" messaging across carriers (AA, B6, and DL off the top my head) and across different itineraries.

I believe Google Flights gets its pricing data directly from ATPCO (the industry clearinghouse for fares) and it does not know how to interpret the wide range of things that are possible to code for restrictions. When it runs into something it doesn't know how to handle, it throws up the "Book with a travel agent" message and a price that is probably not legal (from a rules perspective) to sell, but exists and can be sold on other dates or flights or whatnot.

Why does it say "Book with travel agent"? Well, I think it's a bit cheeky. A travel agent could sell this fare by force pricing it in the GDS. However, they will 99.9999% get a debit memo from DL and so it's not worth doing it.

If you are seeing it across DL, AF, and KL and widespread lately, the JV may have changed the way it did some of their fare rules coding, which is causing Google Flights widespread problems (likely something in a General Rule to be technical).
Old Feb 1, 2018, 6:35 am

Programs: LT Plt, 4mm, *A GLD, burned out medical provider, executing our estate plan
Google Flights adds delay predictions and Basis Economy fares restrictions info

https://www.pcmag.com/news/358922/wi...ask-googles-ai

says it can use AI to know if you will have a flight delay before the airlines do.

mods please merge if I missed an old thread.
https://blog.google/topics/travel/ge...delays-winter/

Last edited by boerne; Feb 1, 2018 at 6:55 am Reason: added info
Old Feb 25, 2018, 10:55 pm
TA

Programs: UA 1K MM
Really don't like Google Flights new UI look and feel

I don't know that any really different functionality is available in Google Flights' new UI, but I really don't like it compared to the old look. Lots of cluttering boxes and heavy borders and junk. Anyone else feel the same?

Old look:

New look:

84fiero and Great_circle like this.
Old Feb 26, 2018, 10:41 am

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Yes. Current Web UI design is utter garbage these days.
Old Feb 26, 2018, 11:09 am

Programs: BAEC back to silver, Flying Blue Silver
The new UI used to have the option (end of page) to switch to the old UI but that seems to be no longer the case..
Old Feb 27, 2018, 7:51 pm
TA

Programs: UA 1K MM
Originally Posted by Great_circle
The new UI used to have the option (end of page) to switch to the old UI but that seems to be no longer the case..
Actually, I found such a button to go back to the old version! It's at the lower left of the window, all the way at bottom, and I use it all the time now:

Great_circle likes this.
Old Feb 27, 2018, 9:58 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by TA
Actually, I found such a button to go back to the old version! It's at the lower left of the window, all the way at bottom, and I use it all the time now:
^ but only until they take that away. I kept reverting the Calendar UI "upgrade" for as long as I could, but now no longer have the option to go back

I'm still bitter about Google Maps too :mad #getoffmylawn
Great_circle likes this.
Old Mar 5, 2018, 1:09 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Originally Posted by TA

Thank you a million!
I saw the icon but could not for my life believe a 'man running for the exit' was chosen as the symbol associated with 'switch to old ui'. But looking at the new ui, it is quite fitting!!!
synergistic and Great_circle like this.
Old Mar 13, 2018, 5:00 pm
Formerly known as cagalindo

Programs: Citi AA/HH/TYP Amex SPG/HH & Chase SP/PC
Originally Posted by YacozA
  • Origin and Destination airport limitation lifted from 5 to 7
I love that upgrade, they cap the alerts at 6 it seems. Best for finding those low fares!

Does anyone know of any tools with alerts that accept more than 6 origin/destinations? (Unfortunately ITA does not do alerts)
Old Mar 24, 2018, 4:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TA

img
Thank you! Came here looking specifically for how to do this. The new UI precludes several of my favourite shortcuts, like typing the origin in the destination to get them to switch, which is useful when I have a list in one field. It looks fine, maybe better, but it requires too much clicking.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.