ITA Software Matrix Airfare Search Consolidated Information and Help Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 4, 2014, 6:07 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TWA884
ITA Matrix Search: http://matrix.itasoftware.com

You can sometimes see flights, fares and detailed fare rules that may not be reflected on an airline's website. Please read the thread for some tips and tricks, screen shots, etc.

A related thread, ITA-Matrix-PowerTools - Userscript for Orbitz/DL/UA/AA/BA/CZ/IB/LA/LH/LX/TK, discusses a user script which is maintained by fellow flyertalk members to enhance the already powerful Matrix of ITA Software by providing new features and booking links.

Additional details and tips on the use of ITA's advanced routing code feature can be found in the following long-standing Mileage Run Discussion threads:

Print Wikipost

ITA Software Matrix Airfare Search Consolidated Information and Help Thread

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21, 2016, 3:54 am

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
Originally Posted by crashnet
I've been experiencing time outs for multi-city searches on Matrix for a few weeks now...
I've had that issue too lately. Switching the browser did help though...

Originally Posted by iflyuaaa
i want to do a fare basis code, i believe i type /f bc=p
BTW: That's the booking class

If you're looking for specific fares, the routing code is /f AA.BBB+CCC.FFFFFF

(AA being the airline code, BBB and CCC being the IATA codes (you'll have to use city codes. Instead of ICN, you'll use SEL (LON instead of LHR, NYC instead of EWR,JFK, etc...) and FFFFFF being the specific fare code)
Old Apr 21, 2016, 5:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WorldLux
BTW: That's the booking class
Actually, it's the prime booking code of the covering fare(s) The booking codes actually applied on the flight segments are usually the same but may differ (for instance if an F- fare is used to cover a Y only flight).
Old Apr 21, 2016, 9:45 am

Originally Posted by WorldLux
I've had that issue too lately. Switching the browser did help though...
i'm on chrome... switch to IE ??
Old Apr 21, 2016, 10:04 am

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
I've switched to Firefox for some tasks. Interestingly the ITA Matrix works best for me in Firefox (despite its numerous add-ons).
Old May 12, 2016, 6:33 pm
Suspended

is there a way to just specify the economy cabin versus business cabin? the way i've been doing it is

f bc=l|bc=m|bc=y etc

but it's a pain to write every single booking code in the cabin.
Old May 13, 2016, 6:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by imgonnafly
is there a way to just specify the economy cabin versus business cabin? the way i've been doing it is

f bc=l|bc=m|bc=y etc

but it's a pain to write every single booking code in the cabin.
There is a minimum cabin selector for the whole trip at the bottom of the search page.

Given that the Matrix defaults to economy class, I am not sure what you want to achieve here.
Old May 13, 2016, 7:10 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Calchas
There is a minimum cabin selector for the whole trip at the bottom of the search page.

Given that the Matrix defaults to economy class, I am not sure what you want to achieve here.
In a multi segment itinerary, i want some segments in business and some in economy.
Old May 13, 2016, 8:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
In a multi segment itinerary, i want some segments in business and some in economy.
Do you know all of the business class booking classes? What you could try is to leave the selector to "Cheapest available", but then force business class on the relevant sectors by using the (probably shorter) list of business class codes.
Old May 13, 2016, 11:50 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium
Best way I know to do this kind of thing is to email the list to myself (or store it in your favorite place) and then copy it from the email and paste it into the search engine when you want to use it. That way it is type it once, use it often. Works for all sorts of creative complicated things.
Old May 13, 2016, 1:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

A couple of points then.

First, be aware that the /f bc=x syntax sets the prime code of the underlying fare component. It neither sets the booking code nor the cabin class of the individual segments (except through implication of the fare it selects to cover those sectors). So when you use the syntax, it's better to think about the fare components you desire rather than the cabins you want on the sectors in that component.

Second, the minimum cabin selector is not overruled by your choice of booking code. If you say "minimum cabin business" and then use /f bc=Y, Matrix will try to satisfy both constraints. In most cases a fare with prime code Y will not provide a business class seat on all sectors and hence no results will be found for your query.
Old May 18, 2016, 6:22 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold, GGL, SPG Gold , HHonors Diamond ,Marriott Gold Elite
Question Availability through ITA software

When ITA software quotes a fare and you have said only to show flights with seats does it show live availability from the carriers system

I got a quote for a CPT- NCE fare via DXB and ITA shows me a fare in Business ( I class). When I check in Emirates there is no I . Expertflyer says I class and its waitlist are closed.

Ticket to be booked in SA.
Old May 18, 2016, 6:53 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Have you checked that the point of sale used in Matrix is the same used by the carrier? If it's not the two systems might see different availability.
Old May 18, 2016, 7:02 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
Originally Posted by col747uk
I got a quote for a CPT- NCE fare via DXB and ITA shows me a fare in Business ( I class). When I check in Emirates there is no I . Expertflyer says I class and its waitlist are closed.

Ticket to be booked in SA.
What does this have to do with BA?

ExpertFlyer only shows US and UK POS availability.
ITA Matrix will default to point of origin POS.
Old May 18, 2016, 8:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by col747uk
When ITA software quotes a fare and you have said only to show flights with seats does it show live availability from the carriers system
AIUI, no. But I think that is less likely to be the source of your problem than the other possible reasons already identified. In addition, whatever ITA's data source is, it doesn't always match availability shown to the POS that it should be using. So a priced itinerary on ITA, even with the availability checker switched on, is no guarantee that it can actually be booked.

From what I remember of the discussion about the way that the ITA website is set up, it uses cached data. One of the things that the website is useful (to ITA) for is to see the relationship between frequency of data access and real-time reliability of search results. I always try to remind myself that the website was not originally provided by ITA as a public service; the benefits that we get from it were really only a by-product of the website's usefulness to ITA for software development purposes.
Old May 19, 2016, 12:51 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Marriott Plat, Hertz Pres
Hey guys, wondering if anyone can help me. Im using the site to try to find dates to do one of the SIN MRs (LAX-JFk-DTW/NRT-SIN). I use the routing codes:
outbound DL JFK DTW NRT
return DL NRT JFK.

The month view shows wildy high prices, $5k+, however when i click on any of the dates, the list of flights the flights are correctly priced. Is there any way to fix this? Having to click through each day kinda gets annoying :P

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.