ExpertFlyer.com Help Desk Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 14, 2015, 12:53 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: 747FC
The ExpertFlyer support by email is at [email protected]

This is a community-maintained wiki, it is not necessarily endorsed by ExpertFlyer.

--------------------

Searches currently not working:
  • Upgrades - AY, BA, EK, EY, IB, QR, VS
  • Awards - AY, BA, IB, EY, QR, VS

To search AA upgrades:
  • Use the Award & Upgrade tool
  • Only search for individual segments (set the "Connection Preference" drop-down to "Direct/Non-Stop only"). Flight results that are part of a connection won't show the upgrade version of C or A inventory because AA only files upgrade inventory as individual, not married, segments. (Married segments show revenue inventory instead of upgrade inventory.)
  • To avoid confusion, check the "Exclude Codeshares" box, as AA awards and upgrades are not valid on codeshares.

Print Wikipost

ExpertFlyer.com Help Desk Thread

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24, 2014, 3:01 pm

Programs: Globalist, Marriott Plat, various sundry
EF Voice,

Could you put something on your DL searches to make it clear that the R and O inventory are actually RP and OP inventory? It took me a couple days to realize that your searches for RP and OP do not mirror the R and O inventory? It would help clarify issues and reduce annoyance/angst because of wondering why the DL.com isn't showing the same inventory. Thanks!
Old Mar 24, 2014, 7:45 pm
Left Expert Flyer 4/23

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by gmax58
EF Voice,

Could you put something on your DL searches to make it clear that the R and O inventory are actually RP and OP inventory? It took me a couple days to realize that your searches for RP and OP do not mirror the R and O inventory? It would help clarify issues and reduce annoyance/angst because of wondering why the DL.com isn't showing the same inventory. Thanks!
R/O does to our knowledge mirror RP/OP and we have noted that they do represent upgrade certificate inventory in the class code descriptions. This is mirroring is done so travel agents can search/book upgrades as most GDSs only support single letter class codes. This is also clearly stated on the DL website under both Global and Regional certificates terms: http://www.delta.com/content/www/en_...tificates.html:

Delta representatives must book in "RP/OP" class and travel agencies must book in "R/O" class.
Old Mar 26, 2014, 7:34 pm

TPD restrictions not shown in EF routing rules?

I'm looking at the AA fare DFR from CDG to SCL. (Great fare -- quite flexible, no penalties, good booking class...)

In ExpertFlyer, the routing is displayed as follows:
Code:
AT01*  /VIA THE ATLANTIC/ PUBLISHED MPM 8708                    
       MILEAGE SYSTEM APPLIES ORIGIN TO DESTINATION             
       TICKETED POINT DEDUCTION OF 1000 MILES APPLIES           
       WHEN TRAVEL IS VIA DFW AND/OR BOS
When I ask AA about the fare rules, they tell me there's another restriction on the 1000 mile TPD: "PROVIDED ALL TRAVEL IS ON AA WITHIN AREA 1". That's OK but does result in an additional fare for routings that would have benefited from the TPD.

Is AA correct? Is that rule genuinely in the fare? If so, I'm surprised that EF doesn't show it. Would that be an artifact of the way AA filed the fare? A SABRE glitch? Something else?
Old Mar 26, 2014, 7:59 pm
Left Expert Flyer 4/23

Originally Posted by bedelman
I'm looking at the AA fare DFR from CDG to SCL. (Great fare -- quite flexible, no penalties, good booking class...)

In ExpertFlyer, the routing is displayed as follows:
Code:
AT01*  /VIA THE ATLANTIC/ PUBLISHED MPM 8708                    
       MILEAGE SYSTEM APPLIES ORIGIN TO DESTINATION             
       TICKETED POINT DEDUCTION OF 1000 MILES APPLIES           
       WHEN TRAVEL IS VIA DFW AND/OR BOS
When I ask AA about the fare rules, they tell me there's another restriction on the 1000 mile TPD: "PROVIDED ALL TRAVEL IS ON AA WITHIN AREA 1". That's OK but does result in an additional fare for routings that would have benefited from the TPD.

Is AA correct? Is that rule genuinely in the fare? If so, I'm surprised that EF doesn't show it. Would that be an artifact of the way AA filed the fare? A SABRE glitch? Something else?
That would make sense as it's an AA fare that you would have to fly on AA marketed flights in the Americas (IATA Area 1). Why would AA let you fly another carrier to/from BOS and DFW, cities that AA itself serves? The IATA area restrictions are also listed in the Fare Rules, you should read that as well.
Old Mar 28, 2014, 7:12 am

EF Voice, thanks for looking at this!

That would make sense as it's an AA fare that you would have to fly on AA marketed flights in the Americas (IATA Area 1).
I was looking at other carriers' service for portions of the journey within Area 1 because I thought that was permitted under fare rules. Here are some relevant sections:

Code:
STOPOVERS	   UNLIMITED FREE STOPOVERS PERMITTED ON THE PRICING
   UNIT.

TRANSFERS	   UNLIMITED TRANSFERS PERMITTED ON THE PRICING UNIT.
   FARE BREAK SURFACE SECTORS NOT PERMITTED AND EMBEDDED
   SURFACE SECTORS PERMITTED ON THE FARE COMPONENT.

FLIGHT APPLICATION	   THE FARE COMPONENT MUST NOT BE ON
       ONE OR MORE OF THE FOLLOWING
           ANY AF FLIGHT
           ANY LH FLIGHT
           ANY KL FLIGHT.
   AND
   THE FARE COMPONENT MUST NOT BE ON
           IB FLIGHTS 5000 THROUGH 5999
           IB FLIGHTS 7704 THROUGH 7705.
   AND
   THE FARE COMPONENT MUST INCLUDE TRAVEL VIA EACH
   TRANSATLANTIC SECTOR BUT NOT ON
         AA FLIGHTS 5100 THROUGH 8399.
Notice: Few carriers are excluded. For example, fine to take LA within south america. But with unlimited transfers and unlimited stopovers, subject of course to the MPM, one can imagine zig-zagging around the US a bit. CDG-JFK-ORD-MIA-EZE-SCL or what have you. But under the rules I quoted above, you might think the routing coculd just as easily be CDG-AA-JFK-DL-MSP-... Do you see any fare rule excluding this? As I said, it's a great and flexible fare!

Why would AA let you fly another carrier to/from BOS and DFW, cities that AA itself serves?
First, the TPD text I quoted seemed to offer a deduction "VIA DFW AND/OR BOS". Note "OR". Travel via just one of those cities would suffice. No obligation to travel via both DFW and BOS to get the deduction.

Why would AA let pax fly other carriers? It's a flexible fare, allowing unlimited stopovers and transfers, so I guess AA thinks those benefits help attract passengers with specific requirements. You can imagine a passenger whose routing needs or schedule needs are best served with some segments on other carriers, but of course with the transatlantic segments on AA as they must be.

The IATA area restrictions are also listed in the Fare Rules, you should read that as well.
I read the entire text captioned "Fare Rules Results" in ExpertFlyer. I did not find the restriction "PROVIDED ALL TRAVEL IS ON AA WITHIN AREA 1" that AA claims is in the fare rules or routing rules. Do you see that there? Where can I get that?

If you (or others) would like to look at this DFR fare in order to see what I'm seeing, note that it's a historic fare -- so enter a past ticketing date. I enter CDG to SCL, outbound 4/5/14, return 4/12/14, ticketing date 4/4/13. Then DFR does appear in the list of fares in the market.
Old Apr 2, 2014, 10:32 am

Hi, I am new to expertfluyer where I suscribed to the annual premium service. Maybe it's a dumb question, but I'd like to ask if it is possible to find on which itinerary a specific fare code is being used by a specific carrier.
Example: fare code is IPREUAF and I want to know if IB is using this fare code and on which segment.
Any help on this regard? Cannot find anything on EF guide.
Thanks
Old Apr 2, 2014, 6:48 pm
Left Expert Flyer 4/23

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by seris7
Hi, I am new to expertfluyer where I suscribed to the annual premium service. Maybe it's a dumb question, but I'd like to ask if it is possible to find on which itinerary a specific fare code is being used by a specific carrier.
Example: fare code is IPREUAF and I want to know if IB is using this fare code and on which segment.
Any help on this regard? Cannot find anything on EF guide.
Thanks
Welcome to ExpertFlyer. Fare codes aren't itinerary specific, or flight specific. They are just the published fare tariffs that can be applied to a flight if there is booking class availability and the fare rules are met. The first few pages of our EduGuide which can be found on our Help page touches on this.
Old Apr 4, 2014, 9:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Fare Information Search Help

I am a new ExperFlyer user, and trying to make sense of the Fare Information tool. I did spend some trying to search to get a better understanding, but I'm still having some issues. Want to use this knowledge as I use the tool further.

So as an example, looking at a BOM-EWR itinerary on UA - leaving June 4 and returning June 9 - its non-stop so should be pretty straightforward. I understand that not all local taxes and security charges are included with the EF search, so understand numbers would not match up completely, but still can't understand what I am seeing.

I can find an L fare on UA, fare basis LRCAAW, and its the same both ways. UAs site is showing a base fare of 1049.80 (which as far as I know, includes the US excise tax and any fuel surcharges) as well as $137.67 of taxes/additional fees, for a total of $1187.47.

When I find that fare basis on EF, it shows me a base fare of $499. I also am guessing, based on the fare number from EF, that any fuel surcharge is not included (and when I choose the link to show the fare without surcharges, nothing changes). When I look at the rules, I see the following in the surcharge section:

FARE RULE
ORIGINATING INDIA -
THE PROVISIONS BELOW APPLY ONLY AS FOLLOWS -
WHEN TICKETS ARE SOLD IN INDIA.
MISCELLANEOUS/OTHER SURCHARGE OF INR 150 PER
DIRECTION WILL BE ADDED TO THE APPLICABLE FARE PER
ANY PASSENGER.

GENERAL RULE - APPLY UNLESS OTHERWISE SPECIFIED
IF INFANT WITHOUT A SEAT PSGR UNDER 2.
THERE IS NO MISCELLANEOUS/OTHER SURCHARGE PER
DIRECTION PER ANY PASSENGER.
THE PROVISIONS BELOW APPLY ONLY AS FOLLOWS -
TICKETS MUST BE ISSUED ON THE STOCK OF UA.
OR - TICKETS MUST BE ISSUED ON THE STOCK OF UA OR AC.
OR - TICKETS MUST BE ISSUED ON THE STOCK OF UA OR LH.
OR - TICKETS MUST BE ISSUED ON THE STOCK OF UA OR LX.
OR - TICKETS MUST BE ISSUED ON THE STOCK OF UA OR OS.
OR - TICKETS MUST BE ISSUED ON THE STOCK OF UA OR SN.
THERE IS NO MISCELLANEOUS/OTHER SURCHARGE PER
DIRECTION PER ANY PASSENGER.
NOTE - TEXT BELOW NOT VALIDATED FOR AUTOPRICING.
YQ FEE MAY APPLY
ORIGINATING AREA 1 -
MISCELLANEOUS/OTHER SURCHARGE OF USD 320.00 PER
ANY PASSENGER.
AND - ORIGINATING SOUTH ASIAN SUBCONTINENT -
MISCELLANEOUS/OTHER SURCHARGE OF USD 420.00 PER
ANY PASSENGER.
I take this to mean that there is an INR 300 surcharge (150 per direction - total ~$5 US) and that since its originating in India (South Asian subcontinent) that there "may" be a fuel surcharge of $420 per direction. But adding 420 x 2 to the given fare produces a number higher than the amount being charged. And that doesn't even consider the taxes that aren't included in the EF fare. Maybe its only charged one way? But even that doesn't add up when I try to take the excise tax out.

Can anyone help me make a little sense of this - would help me use the tool much better in the future. Appreciate any responses.
Old Apr 4, 2014, 7:11 pm
Left Expert Flyer 4/23

Originally Posted by emcampbe
I am a new ExperFlyer user, and trying to make sense of the Fare Information tool. I did spend some trying to search to get a better understanding, but I'm still having some issues. Want to use this knowledge as I use the tool further.

So as an example, looking at a BOM-EWR itinerary on UA - leaving June 4 and returning June 9 - its non-stop so should be pretty straightforward. I understand that not all local taxes and security charges are included with the EF search, so understand numbers would not match up completely, but still can't understand what I am seeing.

I can find an L fare on UA, fare basis LRCAAW, and its the same both ways. UAs site is showing a base fare of 1049.80 (which as far as I know, includes the US excise tax and any fuel surcharges) as well as $137.67 of taxes/additional fees, for a total of $1187.47.

When I find that fare basis on EF, it shows me a base fare of $499. I also am guessing, based on the fare number from EF, that any fuel surcharge is not included (and when I choose the link to show the fare without surcharges, nothing changes). When I look at the rules, I see the following in the surcharge section:

I take this to mean that there is an INR 300 surcharge (150 per direction - total ~$5 US) and that since its originating in India (South Asian subcontinent) that there "may" be a fuel surcharge of $420 per direction. But adding 420 x 2 to the given fare produces a number higher than the amount being charged. And that doesn't even consider the taxes that aren't included in the EF fare. Maybe its only charged one way? But even that doesn't add up when I try to take the excise tax out.

Can anyone help me make a little sense of this - would help me use the tool much better in the future. Appreciate any responses.
The short answer is that the fuel surcharge is only being priced at $275.40 each way when you price out those flights, although the reason isn't clear in the rules it states:

NOTE - TEXT BELOW NOT VALIDATED FOR AUTOPRICING.

Which could mean that the fuel charges are included in other aspects of the fare that doesn't show in the rules (there are 2 ways to file fuel surcharges). It could mean that the fuel surcharges are dependent on the flights, and the amounts in the rules are the upper limit.

The INR 300 surcharge also isn't being applied as pricing the flight from the USA results in the same $1187.47 price on United.com that you see in India.
Old Apr 6, 2014, 11:36 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond, AA Executive Platinum, National Executive Elite, Avis First
Where can I get information about flight comments?

This is for AA #2955 departing on 4/6/14 MAF-DFW.

Is there a page or post that explains these comments? Most are self explanatory, but I can't figure out what "OFF" means. Also, is there anything in here that says the reason for the delay? I know DFW had a ground stop this morning due to WX, but I don't see that in here.

Code:
AMERICAN EAGLE AIRLINES
DFW                     840A B  B27   
MAF     2      5 1000A 1025A      5
DFW   B20 B  B23 1145A
3DFW/ETD0849 THRU/3441     *0819
4DFW/OUT0849 OFF0921      *0921
2MAF/IN1028  *1029
3MAF/ETD1135 AUTO UPDATE   *1135
4MAF/OUT1135 OFF1143  *1143
7MAF/AUTO REACCOM DLY FLT COMPLETED SEE N*P1AA2955MAF06APR *1158*CRCYMG
2DFW*/ETA1241  *1147
Old Apr 6, 2014, 12:41 pm
Left Expert Flyer 4/23

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by adambrock
This is for AA #2955 departing on 4/6/14 MAF-DFW.

Is there a page or post that explains these comments? Most are self explanatory, but I can't figure out what "OFF" means. Also, is there anything in here that says the reason for the delay? I know DFW had a ground stop this morning due to WX, but I don't see that in here.

Code:
AMERICAN EAGLE AIRLINES
DFW                     840A B  B27   
MAF     2      5 1000A 1025A      5
DFW   B20 B  B23 1145A
3DFW/ETD0849 THRU/3441     *0819
4DFW/OUT0849 OFF0921      *0921
2MAF/IN1028  *1029
3MAF/ETD1135 AUTO UPDATE   *1135
4MAF/OUT1135 OFF1143  *1143
7MAF/AUTO REACCOM DLY FLT COMPLETED SEE N*P1AA2955MAF06APR *1158*CRCYMG
2DFW*/ETA1241  *1147
If you click the "Need Help With This Page?" link at the top of the page, you'll see a table with descriptions for the codes. No, the agent that entered the notes did not put in the reason for the delay.
Old Apr 6, 2014, 2:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by adambrock
Most are self explanatory, but I can't figure out what "OFF" means.
One of the four critical times for a flight.

OUT = aircraft commenced pushback or taxi = depature time
OFF = aircraft takeoff time
ON = aircraft landed
IN = aircraft parked at gate = arrival time

Much confusion amongst the general public, who often don't know the difference between OUT and OFF, and between ON and IN.
Old Apr 7, 2014, 7:35 am

Programs: AS 100K, AA Gold, IC Diamond AMB, HH Diamond
EF not seeing a flight I am booked on ?

I wanted to create an alert for "C" (eVIP/coach to business upgrade) availability on a flight I am booked on in May, but EF is not seeing the AA flight (136) on my date of travel 5/24, only the BA code shares. The error is "The flight details provided do not match any scheduled flight."

Why would this happen?
Old Apr 7, 2014, 7:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
I don't know why this is happening, but this was intriguing enough for me to have a look. If you go to the Flight Availability screen and change the POS to UK, the AA136 prime code will be displayed. I think you can use the Flight Alert function on that page to set an alert for an award booking class even if that booking class isn't actually displayed on the Flight Availability screen.
Old Apr 7, 2014, 8:28 am

Programs: AS 100K, AA Gold, IC Diamond AMB, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Globaliser
I don't know why this is happening, but this was intriguing enough for me to have a look. If you go to the Flight Availability screen and change the POS to UK, the AA136 prime code will be displayed. I think you can use the Flight Alert function on that page to set an alert for an award booking class even if that booking class isn't actually displayed on the Flight Availability screen.
Thanks for that, I was in fact able to do so from there after changing the POS. ^ Appreciate the tip!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.