Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Star Alliance/Oneworld Award Planning with Award Nexus

Search this Thread

Old Aug 18, 2023, 4:48 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by airgeekjx
Compared to other search tools, I found the search experience to be overly complicated for a new user
First, signing up is weird. Why can't I just use normal email address/password to sign up?
Then, I only got to search a few programs in the beginning, and should I expect to see more if I move to higher tier? Other tools don't require me to do so, thus I can't think of an advantage of this tool over the others. Perhaps it has better functionality in other ways which I hope you can enlighten me, thanks!
Good questions. The simple answer is that Award Nexus was designed for power user first. The search experience is focused on power and maximum award visibility. Naturally, when the interface is designed for power use, there are elements that can seem overly complicated for a newbie, but is well-appreciated by power users.The signup restriction is also intentional. Award Nexus has limited capacity, and the free community membership is not intended as an open signup. That's why you cannot use your email, but have to provide your FT handle proving that you are a actively contributing FT member.
jerryhung and gpeso8 like this.
Old Aug 22, 2023, 7:49 pm

Interesting. Since you mentioned power user, I assume that there are certain advanced elements that are generally missing from other more generic tools? Would love to hear some of those features so that I can focus on those when trying it out next time
Old Aug 26, 2023, 12:16 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by airgeekjx
Interesting. Since you mentioned power user, I assume that there are certain advanced elements that are generally missing from other more generic tools? Would love to hear some of those features so that I can focus on those when trying it out next time
Of course! Glad you asked.

One power feature is the multi-segment search capability. With Award Nexus, you are not limited to just searching one-way or roundtrip in a search. You can actually search for 4-10+ segments (depending on membership level, but even the basic community membership can search for 4+ segments).

This is very useful, for example, when you are focusing on award availability for long-haul flights, e.g., you can do a search for JFK/ORD/SFO/LAX-NRT, and you can find the long-haul awards.

Another power feature is the ability is to search multiple weeks at a time. Depending on membership level, a search can go from +7 days to +21 days, all in a single search.

This multi-segment and extended date range search then feed the award data into a viewer that's designed to displayed availabilities on up to dozens of segments, on weeks of availability, using a calendar-based view that gives you a good sense of the availabilities with just one look.
Old Sep 25, 2023, 5:49 am

Can Nexas look for flights to book with LH's MM points?

Hello, I only can see/find/search for - Star Alliance (AC) and (ANA). I can not find a way to search for available seats for other Star Alliance airline members. Is it possible to run also searches for usage of LH MM miles? Thanks.
ckpeter likes this.
Old Sep 25, 2023, 6:26 am
IMH

Programs: BA Gold; Accor Plat; IHG Diamond-Amb; Meliá & HH & Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Ori Kuper
Is it possible to run also searches for usage of LH MM miles?
Any availability Award Nexus finds for you on Star Alliance carriers is very, very likely to be bookable using M&M miles.

However, logging in to M&M and searching there will often find additional availibility on Lufthansa Group airlines, especially if you have M&M status.
ckpeter likes this.
Old Sep 25, 2023, 6:30 am

Thanks. I'm trying to search for "milage-bargains seats" (as they are defined by the MM website). And since the search on the milage-bargains system (within MM website) is only very seldomly brings up results with the real bargain price (for example Europe to the US for 55K MM points - i was trying to focus my search only for specific LH metal flights... however it seems like none of the Nexus results shows any MM metal flights at all...
Old Sep 25, 2023, 7:27 am
IMH

Programs: BA Gold; Accor Plat; IHG Diamond-Amb; Meliá & HH & Marriott Gold
The list of theoretically available "Mileage Bargains" is here: https://www.meilenschnaeppchen.de/?lang=en

The only place you can search for actual availabilty -- which is often very scarce -- is M&M. Good luck!
Old Sep 25, 2023, 11:13 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Ori Kuper
Hello, I only can see/find/search for - Star Alliance (AC) and (ANA). I can not find a way to search for available seats for other Star Alliance airline members. Is it possible to run also searches for usage of LH MM miles? Thanks.
Originally Posted by IMH
Any availability Award Nexus finds for you on Star Alliance carriers is very, very likely to be bookable using M&M miles.

However, logging in to M&M and searching there will often find additional availibility on Lufthansa Group airlines, especially if you have M&M status.
The general partner award availabilities should show using Star Alliance (AC) or Star Alliance (ANA).

However, it sounds like you are looking for the special availability on LH metal that you can only book using M&M miles. For those, as IMH said, you will have to log into your M&M account to search for them. Award Nexus doesn't currently support the extra availability that LH gives to its own members. Sorry.
Old Dec 14, 2023, 4:53 am

Peter
just realizing as I was searching, there is no "day of week" indicated anywhere, either in Summary page or in the Details pop-up
Is it possible to add it?

It's much easier to read Friday/Saturday/Sunday, then to reference against a calendar to figure it out, especially for Overnight or week-hours departure/arrivals
(e.g. below flight reads as = leaves Saturday night, arrive Sunday morning 5 am)
Trip: 16.7 hours

AC 229 on a 7M8
Depart:YYC @ 22:00 (Aug 10)
Arrive:YVR @ 22:32 (Aug 10)1.5 hour flight
2 x AC Economy award
3.5 hours layover

BR 9 on a 77W
Depart:YVR @ 02:00 (Aug 11)
Arrive:TPE @ 04:40 (Aug 12)11.7 hour flight
2 x AC Economy award
ckpeter likes this.
Old Dec 17, 2023, 12:38 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jerryhung
Peter
just realizing as I was searching, there is no "day of week" indicated anywhere, either in Summary page or in the Details pop-up
Is it possible to add it?

It's much easier to read Friday/Saturday/Sunday, then to reference against a calendar to figure it out, especially for Overnight or week-hours departure/arrivals
(e.g. below flight reads as = leaves Saturday night, arrive Sunday morning 5 am)
Sorry that I just saw that, but I think that's a great suggestion.

I added the day of the week display to the award flight display.
jerryhung likes this.
Old Dec 18, 2023, 7:43 am

Originally Posted by ckpeter
Sorry that I just saw that, but I think that's a great suggestion.

I added the day of the week display to the award flight display.
Thanks, saw that in the details page like below
Trip: 25 hours
AC 201 on a 7M8
Depart:YYC @ 06:25 (Fri, Aug 9)board with coffee
Arrive:YVR @ 06:57 (Fri, Aug 9)1.5 hour flight
2 x AC Economy award5.6 hours long layover

AC 63 on a 77W
Depart:YVR @ 12:30 (Fri, Aug 9)
Arrive:ICN @ 16:05 (Sat, Aug 10)11.6 hour flight
2 x AC Economy award3.7 hours layover

BR 159 on a 781
Depart:ICN @ 19:45 (Sat, Aug 10)
Arrive:TPE @ 21:25 (Sat, Aug 10)2.7 hour flight
2 x AC Economy award
Perhaps Summary part could use abbreviations also (M/T/W/T/F/Sa/Su)
YYC - TPE 08-09 | 06:25 08-10 | 21:25 AC - AC - BR YVR, ICN 2 Economy (AC) 25 hrs
>> either before or after the Date
YYC - TPE 08-09 Fri | 06:25 Sat 08-10 | 21:25 AC - AC - BR YVR, ICN 2 Economy (AC) 25 hrs
Old Jan 19, 2024, 11:57 am

I see AC is gone from AwardNexus as well, just like Cowtool and all other sites ......... bad move on AC's end really
Old Jan 19, 2024, 12:08 pm

I contacted Peter about that issue after the cowtool shut down. He said he was not aware of anything and it was business as usual. Sadly, I still have a bunch of paid points remaining with ANX that I would have used had I known where it was going with AC.
Old Jan 20, 2024, 7:04 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jerryhung
I see AC is gone from AwardNexus as well, just like Cowtool and all other sites ......... bad move on AC's end really
Apologies for the confusion. I just started a maintenance cycle to address some backend capacity issue. This is a relatively broad maintenance, so you may see some airline sites rotating in/out of service in the next week or two.
Old Jan 20, 2024, 7:14 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LearningToFly
... Sadly, I still have a bunch of paid points remaining with ANX that I would have used ...
I don't currently plan to enforce any expiration policy. Having said that, I do suggest you start using up your points, particularly if they were acquired back when Obama was the US president. After all, you do not earn interest by letting them sit there.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.