Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Thoughts about my free iphone app - WhatsApp

Search this Thread

Old May 20, 2014, 8:16 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro, UA Silver, DL Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Ory
Because if you use Whatspp you are nothing but the property of Facebook, which owns Whatsapp, you, your voice, your photos and everything about you including the size of your penis/ladyparts.

Whatsapp is Skynet.
I made this just for you:
Old May 21, 2014, 8:35 am

Originally Posted by stimpy
How is Whatsapp significantly better than Skype? Especially when you are talking to someone who you already have setup as a contact?
I am not talking about voice/video chat; I only use it for group or 1-1 MMS. WhatsApp is very smooth and works very well with pictures and group txt. I am not even sure if Skype could group txt, but Skype message notification doesn't seem to work most of the time unless you have Skype running in the background. Facebook works better at least with the notification, but you need to setup Facebook account. Oh well it is what it is.
Old May 21, 2014, 10:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Originally Posted by Need
I don't understand why WhatsApp cannot be installed on iPads. We have a family of mixed iPhones and Android phones and we all use WhatsApp to group chat. But most of us also got iPads. iMessages go to both iPhones and iPads, so why can't WhatsApp do the same? Facebook Messenger can do the same thing and Facebook owns WhatsApp now.. so why can't WhatsApp run on iPad without going thru jailbreak or a weird process of using ifunbox?
Originally Posted by eyeballer
I think it's purely because your WhatsApp account is based on/linked to your cellphone number. iPads and other wifi or even most LTE tablets don't have the telephony bits to to verify with WhatsApp with your cellphone number. They would need to add some other form of account login for you to use it on multiple devices.
This
Old May 21, 2014, 12:27 pm

Originally Posted by eyeballer
I think it's purely because your WhatsApp account is based on/linked to your cellphone number. iPads and other wifi or even most LTE tablets don't have the telephony bits to to verify with WhatsApp with your cellphone number. They would need to add some other form of account login for you to use it on multiple devices.
All they have to do is to TEXT another code to my phone number and I could just enter it on the iPad app. It is what they will have to do if I switch phone right? I am not trying to set up a new account on the iPad.. just want it to have the same Whatsapp account as the iPhone. Kind of like iMessage goes to both iPhone and iPad using the same account.
Old May 21, 2014, 1:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Need
All they have to do is to TEXT another code to my phone number and I could just enter it on the iPad app. It is what they will have to do if I switch phone right? I am not trying to set up a new account on the iPad.. just want it to have the same Whatsapp account as the iPhone. Kind of like iMessage goes to both iPhone and iPad using the same account.
Regardless, you can't have the same account on 2 devices (just like you can't have 2 accounts on the same device)
Old Jul 19, 2014, 10:33 pm
Formerly known as FTRox87

Programs: AA/US 1M, AS, BA, CX, EK, EY, JL, KE, LH, NH, OS, QF, QR, TG, UA/CO | *$G
just came across this thread. wow, all this time WA was created by an FTer and didnt even know. congrats Jan and co!

have a story about how profoundly impactful this app alone has been on some people's lives. my sister for example upgraded her iPhone 3G to a 5S last Fall merely to use WA. she was late to the game and new WA updates caused older devices to not be supported any longer for new installs/accounts. and she was tired of using the iFunBox workaround lol so she went ahead and splurged on a new iDevice JUST to use WA (in her own words.)
Old Jul 20, 2014, 12:37 pm

Programs: SQ TPPS, Hyatt Dia, SPG Gold, Shangri-La(h) Jade
It's nice....not sure it will catch on though..
Old Jul 21, 2014, 5:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SIA747Megatop
Not sure WhatsApp will catch on??
Old Jul 21, 2014, 9:42 am
HMO

Originally Posted by bkafrick
Um, its 99 cents. You really think people create a new account to avoid a 99 cent charge?
I know people who actively avoid to inform their CC# to Apple Store, and only download free apps ^
Old Aug 25, 2014, 8:46 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by SIA747Megatop
Methinks this is tongue in cheek, what with WA being sold for $19,000,000,000 and all...
Old Aug 25, 2014, 8:40 pm

Programs: AS MVP, Hhonors Gold, National Executive, Identity Gold, MLife Gold
http://www.nbcnews.com/tech/gadgets/...-users-n188381

Confirmed today - 600m ACTIVE users. Wow.
Old Aug 25, 2014, 9:29 pm

Programs: First Time Flyer
Originally Posted by OverThereTooMuch
http://www.nbcnews.com/tech/gadgets/...-users-n188381

Confirmed today - 600m ACTIVE users. Wow.
10% of the world's population... WOW indeed.

This post has had a lot more comments in the past few months than it did when it was originally posted
Old Apr 22, 2015, 9:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
I just received my first Whatsapp voice call today. Both parties downloaded the latest IOS update today and the call was between Australia and France. The Australia side was on WiFi and the French side on 4G. The quality was perfect. ^
Old Apr 22, 2015, 12:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: M&M
Originally Posted by stimpy
I just received my first Whatsapp voice call today. Both parties downloaded the latest IOS update today and the call was between Australia and France. The Australia side was on WiFi and the French side on 4G. The quality was perfect. ^
cool, glad it worked well. we are still in the process of rolling out VoIP on iOS and still have a lot of VoIP improvements to make.
Old Apr 22, 2015, 12:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by jkb76
cool, glad it worked well. we are still in the process of rolling out VoIP on iOS and still have a lot of VoIP improvements to make.
Yes I can see that. I did a second call and the echo cancellers failed to kick in. So I could hear my words repeated back to me. Otherwise the quality was fine. So maybe you need to take steps to make sure the echo cancellers are working always in the codecs you use.

But other than that, it seems the fundamentals are fine as far as I can tell.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.