Thoughts about my free iphone app - WhatsApp

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Thoughts about my free iphone app - WhatsApp

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22, 2014, 3:59 pm

Programs: Several dozen
Flyertalkers gaming systems? Why, that never happens. And if you believe that I have a bridge from Miami to Cuba to sell you.

Originally Posted by bkafrick
Um, its 99 cents. You really think people create a new account to avoid a 99 cent charge?
Old Feb 22, 2014, 4:37 pm

Programs: UA, BA Avios, AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by RatherBeOnATrain
Hahahaha. My understanding is that FB just spent 35% of their cash-on-hand to buy WhatsApp.... and WhatsApp's users include millions who create new accounts every year when their free for the first year accounts expire.

In another decade, "When FB bought WhatsApp" will be covered in the same business school textbook chapters that discuss when AOL bought TimeWarner and when Rupert bought MySpace.
Your WhatsApp account links to your phone number so it's not that easy to create a new one every year.

Also, the number of users that's talked about is 450 million active users. These are people that are using the service at least once a month. And something like 70% of those users actually use the app every day.

http://www.informationweek.com/softw...d/d-id/1113927
Old Feb 22, 2014, 5:15 pm
Community Director Emerita

I think everyone on FlyerTalk is doing a happy dance for you, Jan. Well done! I'll be looking even more diligently for those bright yellow tags on luggage.
Old Feb 22, 2014, 11:34 pm

Programs: HHonors diamond, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Silver
Hearty congrats jan. You are a true FT legend now!!
Old Feb 23, 2014, 2:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by jkb76
i really do love flyertalk and still have those bright yellow flyertalk suitcase tags on my briggs and riley bag. (yeah, the same briggs and riley suitcase i bought after researching it here and getting feedback from you all
I'm heading to MWC myself this afternoon. I'll look for the tag, but with 100,000 other people there I kind of doubt I will be able to thank you in person for your app.

That's a great award ticket story, but knowing the MWC money crowd like I do, not a single one of them will believe you didn't fly in paid F and C or a private jet.
Old Feb 23, 2014, 10:15 am
Used to be 'FTcadence'

Best Use Of Airline Miles Ever: Clinching $19 Billion Tech Deal

The full details are in a delightful post by Koum on flyertalk.com, a website that has been one of his favorites since 2009. As Koum tells the story, it was important to him that Facebook’s proposed purchase of WhatsApp be fully wrapped up by Wednesday, Feb. 19, so that it could be announced then.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/georgean...ion-tech-deal/
Old Feb 23, 2014, 10:45 am

Programs: US/AA-Platinum, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Gold, AVIS-Presidents Club, National-Executive Elite
Originally Posted by AlohaDaveKennedy
Flyertalkers gaming systems? Why, that never happens. And if you believe that I have a bridge from Miami to Cuba to sell you.
We're not talking about FT. We're talking about the 450 million users that RatherBeOnATrain claimed all cancel their accounts and make new ones to avoid the 99 cent fee.
Old Feb 23, 2014, 11:38 am

Programs: BA, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, KLM Gold, AB Gold, Accor Plat, BW Diamond, Qantas Svr, Etihad Svr
Jan, thanks for destroying the argument about spending a bit of time on FT getting in the way of doing something productive. Enjoy
Old Feb 23, 2014, 11:46 am

I use it for all my int contacts
Old Feb 23, 2014, 12:07 pm

Originally Posted by skye1
Whatsapp has been a godsend for me,

With wifi now available at tube stations across London, it's been quite handy when meeting up with others, directions, etc. ("Am two stops away, there shortly...", "Am waiting outside exit 3", etc.)

Has also been a money-saver when meeting up with international visitors who have yet to grab a UK sim card.

Massive congratulations on the "accomplishment"!
Couldn't you have just emailed them? Not saying it isn't a good alternative but it isn't a money saver from what you described. Everyone has email and doesn't have to download an app.
Old Feb 23, 2014, 12:55 pm

Programs: Amex, Avis, BA, BD, CX, FS, Hertz, HH, IC, LH, NH, RC, RCCL, Sixt, SPG, SQ, UA
Nice story, congrats, and in good FT spirit executed before an award flight. Harder to get M&M award inventory than 19bn from Facebook, I guess! Good job.
Old Feb 23, 2014, 2:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EXP, AA-0.41MM, UA-Gold, Ex UA-1K (2006 thru 2015), PMUA-0.95MM, COUA-1.5MM-lite, AF-Silver
Originally Posted by flamboyant 1
Harder to get M&M award inventory than 19bn from Facebook
Wow. Brutal. Not a good sound bite for LH at all.
Old Feb 23, 2014, 4:53 pm

A "faulty router" brought down the service for a few hours .. Jan explains:

http://www.theverge.com/2014/2/23/54...gest-outage-in
Old Feb 23, 2014, 5:14 pm

Location: IAD, and sometimes OMNI/PR. Currently: not far from IAD, but home will always be SAN (not far from the "touch my junk and I'll have you arrested" Memorial TSA Check Point) even if I'm not there so much these days.
Programs: UA, CO, Calcifer Award for Mad Haiku Skillz
Originally Posted by mrtibbs1999
Jan, thanks for destroying the argument about spending a bit of time on FT getting in the way of doing something productive. Enjoy
mrtibbs: Best. FT. Post. Ever!

Way to keep it real and sticking to your ideals, jkb76!
Old Feb 23, 2014, 6:50 pm

Programs: DL 0.22 MM, AA 0.34 MM, PC Plat Amb, Hertz #1 GC 5*
Got to this thread from /.

Reading the /. intro, and seeing the "can't change an award ticket" first thought was... poor guy, must be flying DL. ; )

Super-glad it turned out well, and even gladder FT was part of it!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.