Wiki Posts
Search

Thoughts about my free iphone app - WhatsApp

Search this Thread

Old Nov 17, 2022, 3:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by frappant
I think FaceBook is big in many of these other countries and maybe there's a tie-in between FB and WA?

But also the cheaper devices is probably a big factor. WA groups are said to be very popular among Hispanic people and now politicians are targeting them through WA group messages.
It’s not just Hispanics but anybody who knows or communicates with friends or family abroad. Why use a system which requires all parties to have a particular brand of phone when there’s a better system which doesn’t?

For Americans (by which I mean people in the USA) who have a domestic focused existence, iMessage is good enough; for anyone else it’s next to useless.
Internaut likes this.
Old Nov 18, 2022, 7:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
I think FaceBook is big in many of these other countries and maybe there's a tie-in between FB and WA?

But also the cheaper devices is probably a big factor. WA groups are said to be very popular among Hispanic people and now politicians are targeting them through WA group messages.
MAYBE?
FB and WA are "living" together.

In many countries, FB pays for AYCE FB data to drive ad revenue and WA users became a beneficiary.
Old Nov 18, 2022, 11:54 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting

Facebook and WhatsApp grew outside of the US on very different trajectories from each other. Facebook bought WhatsApp for mucho dinero.

WhatsApp groups are very popular in many parts of the world and also with some of the highest income ethnic groups in the US. It’s also extremely popular in high-income neighborhoods in parts of Europe where iPhones are extremely common — and common even with those living off welfare.

My iPhones are still sometimes getting election period SMS messages from political groups in the US.
Old Nov 18, 2022, 6:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You guys do realize that the conversation almost everywhere else in teh World is, "Isn't it strange how few people in the US use Whatsapp?"
GUWonder, KRSW, tentseller and 1 others like this.
Old Nov 25, 2022, 4:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Nothing, nowhere!
Originally Posted by hfly
You guys do realize that the conversation almost everywhere else in teh World is, "Isn't it strange how few people in the US use Whatsapp?"
331m Americans < 7.5bn Rest of World

yep. Not everyone wants an iPhone.
Old Nov 25, 2022, 5:00 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by USA_flyer

Of the iPhone users whom I see in Sweden, it seems like nearly all are using WhatsApp and even prefer WhatsApp. Even the legions of kids with iPhones generally seem to be using WhatsApp way more than iMessage.
KRSW likes this.
Old Nov 25, 2022, 6:26 pm

Originally Posted by USA_flyer

I don't think population of US vs World is relevant here. Should just use Global iPhone sales vs others. Looks like it is about 18% a year. So 82 our of 100 smartphone users can't iMessage so they have to use something else.
Old Nov 26, 2022, 4:25 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by Need
I don't think population of US vs World is relevant here. Should just use Global iPhone sales vs others. Looks like it is about 18% a year. So 82 our of 100 smartphone users can't iMessage so they have to use something else.
I'm one of the 18%... and I choose not to use iMessage.
Old Jan 7, 2023, 9:51 am

Originally Posted by DYKWIA
I'm one of the 18%... and I choose not to use iMessage.
same. If I ever leave the Apple ecosystem I’d like the ability to “take” my SMS messages. iMessages do not transfer to non-Apple phones.
Old Jan 7, 2023, 1:42 pm

Originally Posted by nas6034
same. If I ever leave the Apple ecosystem I’d like the ability to “take” my SMS messages. iMessages do not transfer to non-Apple phones.
iMessages do transfer to Android. Use the program iSMS2droid or similar to move the iMessages.
Xyzzy likes this.
Old Jan 7, 2023, 2:07 pm

Originally Posted by TGarza
iMessages do transfer to Android. Use the program iSMS2droid or similar to move the iMessages.

must be new. in the past (a coupe of years now) i knew it was not possible.
Old Jan 7, 2023, 2:42 pm

Originally Posted by nas6034
must be new. in the past (a coupe of years now) i knew it was not possible.

At least 2018 when I last switched my work iPhone to Android. My personal phone is an IPhone.
nas6034 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.