FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Travel Technology (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travel-technology-169/)
-   -   [archived] Favorite iPhone/iPad applications (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travel-technology/848219-archived-favorite-iphone-ipad-applications.html)

yosithezet May 10, 2013 7:06 am

2 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by stimpy (Post 20727277)
When 10% of people drive with TomTom there is a real-time "collective effect". It tells you when there is a better route and lets you make the choice. It recently saved me nearly an hour in a Barcelona accident traffic jam.

So same idea as Waze. ^

There is an app called Trapster for both OS's that collectively keeps track of speed traps.

This is where Waze came from also. Friends that wanted to share speed trap info.

Originally Posted by stimpy (Post 20727315)
Ooops. I see that Facebook is going to buy Waze. http://www.nytimes.com/2013/05/10/te...-buy-waze.html for a Billion!!

Does FB know how to estimate worth or is tossing out $1B just easier than thinking through a valuation?

These are some pics from this evening in KL.

jackal May 10, 2013 9:36 am

But I can see how smartphone apps will eventually get more usage by drivers in the coming years. There is an app called Trapster for both OS's that collectively keeps track of speed traps. It claims to have millions worldwide using it, but I tried it along a popular French motorway and it didn't have any updates. Meanwhile the Tom Tom Radar service has mapped all the fixed radars and even sends me updates from other users when there is a cop posted along the road with a temporary radar post. So at least from a Euro perspective, due to the fragmented telecom market, dedicated GPS units will be the go to device for many years to come I think.

I've never had very good luck with Trapster. Waze, however, warns me of at least 50% of the cops I pass.

caGALINDO May 22, 2013 3:40 am

I'm here in the middle of nowhere... Thessaloniki, GR and even here this app shows many many locations..

http://4sqwifi.com/

Guy Betsy May 26, 2013 3:09 am

Travel miles calculator app?

Can someone recommend a good airline mileage calculator app for iPhones?
And what free /paid apps are there that track airline flights real time?

Thanks

maggioant May 28, 2013 10:28 pm

Free Airline Flight Tracker

Originally Posted by Guy Betsy (Post 20812633)
Can someone recommend a good airline mileage calculator app for iPhones?
And what free /paid apps are there that track airline flights real time?

Thanks

I have two favorite flight tracking apps.

Kayak - has a feature to track flights in real time.

Just Landed - great user interface & flight tracker, but it's geared towards airport pickup (not just standard tracking).

maggioant May 29, 2013 4:16 pm

Hotel Room Preferences

I also use the "CheckMate for Travel" iPhone app that lets you request room preferences and a specific arrival time at domestic hotels.

cubbie Jun 8, 2013 11:29 pm

Does anyone know of an iPad app that prevents other people from making changes to an iPad? I've read about the partial solutions and parental controls, but they aren't the complete solution I'm looking for. A child in the family completely rearranged the apps and screens on our shared family iPad, and deleted som apps too. I do know now how to block deletion of apps. Is there something that will block rearranging of screens and getting access to settings?

stimpy Jun 9, 2013 3:22 am

Originally Posted by cubbie (Post 20890123)
Does anyone know of an iPad app that prevents other people from making changes to an iPad? I've read about the partial solutions and parental controls, but they aren't the complete solution I'm looking for. A child in the family completely rearranged the apps and screens on our shared family iPad, and deleted som apps too. I do know now how to block deletion of apps. Is there something that will block rearranging of screens and getting access to settings?

The same method of preventing the deletion of apps prevents the re-arranging as well. Just turn on restrictions and turn off the ability to delete apps. If you have the restrictions pin code you can turn it on or off as you please. And you can also turn of the ability to install new apps. I do both on our family iPads.

dtsm Jun 9, 2013 8:12 am

Originally Posted by cubbie (Post 20890123)
Does anyone know of an iPad app that prevents other people from making changes to an iPad?

If your iPad is jb, "IconLock" has been around for ages.
http://www.idownloadblog.com/2011/08/09/iconlock/

wco81 Jun 9, 2013 11:27 am

Or just get a new one for yourself and give the older one to the kids.

Or look for a refurb of the Minis when the next gen comes out and give that to the kids to do with as they please. Let them learn when they screw up.

Also if you have your iPad set to back up automatically to iCloud (iOS 6 and when it's connected to a power source), you can restore before the kids made any changes. If you plug it in daily, it should back up, usually late at night when it's presumed not being used.

Dugernaut Jun 9, 2013 4:31 pm

Didn't this used to be a sticky?

dtsm Jun 9, 2013 8:29 pm

Originally Posted by Dugernaut (Post 20893214)
Didn't this used to be a sticky?

++++

cubbie Jun 10, 2013 6:32 pm

Originally Posted by stimpy (Post 20890558)
The same method of preventing the deletion of apps prevents the re-arranging as well. Just turn on restrictions and turn off the ability to delete apps. If you have the restrictions pin code you can turn it on or off as you please. And you can also turn of the ability to install new apps. I do both on our family iPads.

Really? The delete apps setting also prevents rearranging of apps? I"ll test that out to see if that works.

Most helpful of responses so far, thanks. Our iPad is not jailbreaked. The child, who has played around with older siblings' phones and ipads enough to get how to move icons around (and apparently, delete them), is nonetheless mentally disabled, so even if he had his own, he's not likely to learn from his mistakes. Just want him to be able to play his games without accidentally messing up everything else.

cubbie Jun 10, 2013 6:40 pm

Okay, well, tested it out, and setting the restriction that prevents deleting ipad apps does NOT also prevent rearranging apps. It does eliminate the x's on the upper right corners of app icons that one could click to delete them.

So if anyone ever hears of an ipad app or setting that will prevent rearranging of app icons, I'd be glad to hear about it.

stimpy Jun 11, 2013 1:08 am

Originally Posted by cubbie (Post 20899638)
Okay, well, tested it out, and setting the restriction that prevents deleting ipad apps does NOT also prevent rearranging apps. It does eliminate the x's on the upper right corners of app icons that one could click to delete them.

So if anyone ever hears of an ipad app or setting that will prevent rearranging of app icons, I'd be glad to hear about it.

Did you also prevent the installation of apps? It is either that or the deletion that works. I turn both off and that ABSOLUTELY prevents icons from being rearranged. It works on both IOS 5 and 6.