Community
Wiki Posts
Search

dpi question - LCD vs CRT

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12, 2004, 12:17 pm
Original Poster

dpi question - LCD vs CRT

We have two Samsung 19" monitors that are are .22 mm dpi (one might be .20 mm) -- the best we could get when we bought them. I am thinking of surprising my husband with two LCD 17" flat monitors. The dpi on the ones I am looking at are .26 and .29

Does anyone have an idea how that will compare? Will it be obvious that the dpi is significantly different?

He uses these monitors ALL DAY LONG to look at numbers and charts....so it is different than just 'surfing the net' (fwiw).

Thanks
Old Mar 12, 2004, 1:32 pm

Programs: BA Gold A3 Gold DL Gold VY apologist
ALady,

Executive summary: Go for it, you should be fine.

There is a difference between "dot pitch" (what you are asking about) and "dpi".

Dot pitch refers to the distance between two the centers of two dots of the same color on the CRT screen. Theoretically, a lower dot-pitch = a sharper image.

dpi refers to the number of dots per inch that make up a monitor's image. dpi doesn't really apply to monitors because they aren't fixed-resolution devices. That being said, the average dpi of a consumer desktop monitor is between 72 and 96 dpi.

What you're interested in is whether the images on the LCD panels will look as sharp as the images on the CRT monitors. In most cases, it will look much sharper.

The reason for this is that the LCDs have a 1:1 relationship between pixels (the dots that make up the image) and elements (the physical dots on the display). With a CRT, a beam of electrons shoots from the back of the tube to the front, being focused on a phosphorescent coating. At higher resolutions, the size of the electron beam, even tightly focused, will overlap the physical dots. This is why most CRTs have a softer image than LCD displays.

One caveat: if your husband is using 19" monitors, chances are he is running them at a fairly high resolution setting. The LCD's are going to be fixed 1280x1024 devices. You need to make sure that (a) your husband isn't running higher than that or if he is, (b) that there isn't a compelling reason he needs to do so.

Something to keep in mind: make sure you get displays compatible with your display adapter in the PC/PCs. The Samsung monitors likely have an analog ("VGA") connector, and you can get LCDs with either analog or digital ("DVI").

If you need help with the technical specifics ask here, since it's a gift and you don't want to tip your hat by questions like "do you have VGA or DVI connectors?" at the dinner table.

I switched about 5 months ago from a high-end 19" CRT monitor to dual 17" LCD panels (BenQ FP747). No contest. These are much sharper and easier on the eyes, especially after long periods of work.

------------------
-alan in sitges

*** YOUR AD HERE ***
Promote your Do or other FT event here! Reasonable rates!
Old Mar 12, 2004, 1:56 pm
Original Poster

Thanks so much. I'll look over the LCD monitor specs and compare it the info you have provided.
Old Mar 15, 2004, 3:26 pm
Original Poster

We did go shopping yesterday and had a chance to "admire" some of the LCD monitors (and I could see some in store specials ).

The contrast ratio of 500:1 looked very good. Is 700:1 "that much" superior?

I was considering some eBay auctions, but a) I want the ability to return them and b) it's hard to find two identical monitors from one seller at a good price.

Now, I am down to an in-store special at FRYS ELECTRONICS (which is a 500:1 ratio 19" monitor by GEM) or COSTCO (which is a 700:1 ratio 19" monitor by Sceptre). Both have the same standard resolution and built-in speakers.

I just measured his two current monitors and they are 19" monitors with 18" viewable area -- so if I get the 19" LCD monitors, he will actually increase his viewable area

Or I could save money and get the 17" ones that are as low as $329! That's a hard call... The 'cheap' 19" LCD monitors are close to $500 -- that's a big increase for the extra 2" of screen space...

Funny thing is that I started shopping for these a few days agout because buy.com sent me a 10% off offer -- but they are only competitive on the 17" monitors, not the 19" monitors
Old Mar 15, 2004, 3:32 pm
Original Poster

I have another question/concern that I just remembered:

The two monitors he currently has are connected to one computer via a 'dual monitor card'. Is it likely or unlikely that this card with work with two new LCD monitors?

Thanks!
Old Mar 15, 2004, 4:11 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Is 700:1 "that much" superior?</font>
No. Take those ratings with a grain of salt. 500:1 and 700:1 both denote current generation panels.

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">I was considering some eBay auctions</font>
Don't! After having 3 TFT failures in the past 5 years, I can vouch for a)the need for a good warranty; b) for the high cost of repair outside of warranty.

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">I am down to an in-store special at FRYS ELECTRONICS (which is a 500:1 ratio 19" monitor by GEM) or COSTCO (which is a 700:1 ratio 19" monitor by Sceptre). Both have the same standard resolution and built-in speakers.</font>
After perusing their respective websites, it appears that GEM offers a 3 year warranty (2 years only on parts) vs. 1 year for Sceptre, and that every 19" GEM looks a ton better than that bulky Sceptre! No contest. Forget about the speakers, any built-in speakers will sound worse than even a $5 dollar standalone pair.

17" and 19" desktop LCDs have the same 1280x1024 resolution. The 19" will display a bigger image, not a more detailed one. Recommended if the viewer's eyes are not young any more.

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Is it likely or unlikely that this card with work with two new LCD monitors?</font>
The monitors you are considering have analog VGA inputs, just like your current CRT's. They will work with the current graphics card.

If you could find digital LCD's with DVI inputs at a premium you can afford, I would definitely recommend those for their superior clarity. However, graphics cards with dual DVI outputs are a rarity, with the cheaper ones running slightly over $100.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.