Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

"Random techie stuff I've been doing during the lockdown" thread

"Random techie stuff I've been doing during the lockdown" thread

Old Jun 30, 20, 1:30 pm

Programs: UA MM, Hyatt Diamond
Back to thread theme

WIFI dead zones. Installed eero. No more dead zones. Wife happy...I'm happy.
Old Jun 30, 20, 10:28 pm

Originally Posted by gfunkdave View Post
Of course, I remember the early 90s when 10 Mbps ethernet was faster than most hardware could keep up with...
Don't laugh too hard, but I have a 3Com 3C905 10/100 NIC in one of the office routers. I believe it dates back to 1996 and replaced a circa-2012 NIC which failed. Kind of wild to think it is older than some of our new hires and is still working beautifully. Our internet connection is ~500Mbps, BUT I've never seen us even come close to 100Mbps, so no reason to mess with it for now.

Does learning how to operate this beast count as techy stuff?

In normal times I'm almost never home, so being 'grounded' due to COVID and the restrictions was getting to me. I've been driving past this airport on the way to the office and have been jealously watching the planes flying around. Screw lay-flat seats, lounges, and points -- at this time I'd be happy to be in anything airborne, even a hot air balloon. I'm currently studying the ground portion now, hoping to get the Written/Knowlege test done by month-end. Shooting to have the PPL sometime in the fall, but it's more important for me to truly understand the concepts than just passing the test. If everything goes to plan I'll be able to visit my relatives for the holidays without the pitfalls of airline travel today.
DYKWIA, bchandler02 and HDQDD like this.
Old Jul 1, 20, 7:14 am

Programs: IHG Spire, National Exec, AA Plat
Originally Posted by KRSW View Post
Don't laugh too hard, but I have a 3Com 3C905 10/100 NIC in one of the office routers. I believe it dates back to 1996 and replaced a circa-2012 NIC which failed. Kind of wild to think it is older than some of our new hires and is still working beautifully. Our internet connection is ~500Mbps, BUT I've never seen us even come close to 100Mbps, so no reason to mess with it for now.

In normal times I'm almost never home, so being 'grounded' due to COVID and the restrictions was getting to me. I've been driving past this airport on the way to the office and have been jealously watching the planes flying around. Screw lay-flat seats, lounges, and points -- at this time I'd be happy to be in anything airborne, even a hot air balloon. I'm currently studying the ground portion now, hoping to get the Written/Knowlege test done by month-end. Shooting to have the PPL sometime in the fall, but it's more important for me to truly understand the concepts than just passing the test. If everything goes to plan I'll be able to visit my relatives for the holidays without the pitfalls of airline travel today.
Not sure where it'd fit, but I would be interested in a separate thread just to document your journey. I've always been curious about this.
Old Jul 1, 20, 8:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bchandler02 View Post
Not sure where it'd fit, but I would be interested in a separate thread just to document your journey. I've always been curious about this.
I went to flying camp when I was a kid, and flew with a friend from Chicago to Champaign several years ago after he got his license. It's a lot of fun but flying those little planes is also a lot of work! You've got to constantly scan around for traffic, adjust course as the wind continually blows you off course, check a rotating range of instruments...it's really tiring! But fun.
bchandler02 likes this.
Old Jul 1, 20, 10:37 pm

Originally Posted by bchandler02 View Post
I'm normally a rather private person, but I do feel strongly that anyone with even the slightest hint of wanting to fly should at least try a discovery flight. If you can think of the right place to post it, I'll do it.

There isn't a better time than now to learn how to fly. The USA has the lowest costs to learn how to fly compared to other countries, so much that Florida alone accounts for 20%+ of the *world's* flight training. That doesn't include AZ/NV/TX/CA, which also have numerous flight schools. These schools have many (mostly?) foreign students. Due to COVID, these schools/CFIs are desperate for business. Similarly, AVGAS prices are at an all-time low. There's a ton of availability for rental aircraft. Honestly, there hasn't been a better time to do this.

Originally Posted by gfunkdave View Post
I went to flying camp when I was a kid, and flew with a friend from Chicago to Champaign several years ago after he got his license. It's a lot of fun but flying those little planes is also a lot of work! You've got to constantly scan around for traffic, adjust course as the wind continually blows you off course, check a rotating range of instruments...it's really tiring! But fun.
A LOT has changed since then. Practically-speaking, ADS-B-out is required to fly in most of the USA now. This means every plane, not just the airlines, is pinging away it's altitude, heading, and speed every few seconds. Anyone with a tablet & Raspberry Pi can receive these, along with weather radar in the cockpit and see them on a moving map display. You still need to be looking around, but it's a nice second set of eyes. GPS makes a huge difference too. And, I'm much more confident in the other pilots than I am the drivers around Florida. I'm not entirely sure why, but the skills of Florida drivers have been absolutely terrible this year.
bchandler02 likes this.
Old Jul 2, 20, 1:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Discovery Black, and assorted others
the skills of Florida drivers have been absolutely terrible this year.
Haha. That made me laugh!
Old Jul 2, 20, 1:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Gold
I got my laptop back from being repaired and it turns out that my Time Machine backup is corrupt. I'm currently running fsck_hfs on it now but if that doesn't work, at least my FreeNAS box has ZFS snapshots of the Time Machine backup all the way back to January that I can try.
Old Jul 2, 20, 11:48 am

Originally Posted by LondonElite View Post
Haha. That made me laugh!
If you can believe it, since the lockdown started, FL drivers are at least a whole order of magnitude worse than before. I do hear you though, it's bad out there.
Old Jul 2, 20, 11:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Gold
After a lot of struggling last night, I found out a couple of things about Time Machine. The main thing is that Apple apparently was backing up to a folder on my FreeNAS server called "[computer name].backupbundle"; Apple went back to using .sparsebundle as the extension at some point so both Migration Assistant and the "install from Time Machine" option in recovery mode didn't see the backup at all (and didn't produce any errors or other popup message either).

Second, the most recent backup was in fact corrupt, and multiple attempts to repair it didn't seem to work. (This was the first assumption I had made when the system wasn't seeing any backups.) Fortunately, I only needed to revert back to the snapshot taken the day before the laptop's SSD died to find a backup that it's okay with; now we wait for Migration Assistant to finish restoring.
Old Jul 6, 20, 4:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Discovery Black, and assorted others
If you can believe it, since the lockdown started, FL drivers are at least a whole order of magnitude worse than before. I do hear you though, it's bad out there.
I have a place on Marco, and drive up 75 to RSW a lot (well I did). Worst bit of interstate on the east coast, imho.
Old Jul 8, 20, 5:11 am

Programs: *G

Only if it had a Garmin G1000 unit
Old Jul 10, 20, 8:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

How about the world's slowest USB cable?

The fastest it can go is 57,600 baud.

(It's really a USB to serial cable, a null modem and another USB to serial cable. It provides a "serial" port on two computers that can communicate. It's just a test rig for the real thing which will be a USB to serial cable that connects to a piece of machinery.)
Old Today, 5:06 pm

I migrated our home network from Netgear routers running FreshTomato as my gateway and repurposed as APs with a wired network using unmanaged switches to a pfSense box as the gateway, managed switches, "real" APs with a controller, and VLANs/subnets for segregating devices into separate classes. Extensive firewalling including GeoIP fencing.

For fun, learned to set up a PXE boot server that can serve up various versions of Windows and Linux to devices that support PXE boot

Search this Thread
Search Engine: