Wiki Posts
Search

"Random techie stuff I've been doing during the lockdown" thread

Search this Thread

Old Jun 2, 2020, 12:19 am

Programs: Seniors Bus Pass
"... clean my laptop on my own instead of asking someone else to do it ..."

Originally Posted by allset2travel
Do you care to share how to clean your laptop. During the last 3 months, I watched my "once very fast" desktop getting sloooooower and slower! I tried a few obvious things such as disable certain "startup" apps and "services". So far to no avail. Sometimes it ran so slowly that I could not even do work on Excel or Word, not to mention Adobe Photoshop! All my HDD and SS disk do not need defrag.
Any help will be appreciated! TIA.
I read the post just as stated - "clean"
You seem to read it as "clean up"

This could be something more low tech!
sama likes this.
Old Jun 2, 2020, 2:06 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines
Original Poster

Do you care to share how to clean your laptop. During the last 3 months, I watched my "once very fast" desktop getting sloooooower and slower! I tried a few obvious things such as disable certain "startup" apps and "services". So far to no avail. Sometimes it ran so slowly that I could not even do work on Excel or Word, not to mention Adobe Photoshop! All my HDD and SS disk do not need defrag.
Any help will be appreciated! TIA.
You shouldn't have to do it in this day and age... but try re-installing Windows.

Is Windows installed on the SSD? And all the main apps you use? If anything is installed on the HDD, that would slow things down considerably.

Also check for any Malware.

What security / virus checker do you use? One of the machines I upgraded was running like a dog. I found that it had Norton 360 on it, but it had expired. So, the owner had installed AVG free as well. Removing both made things run a lot better. I then installed BitDefender for them, and this didn't have too much impact (and this was moot when I installed the SSD).
Old Jun 2, 2020, 10:16 am

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM+, AS, MR-LTT, HH Gold
Originally Posted by antichef
"... clean my laptop on my own instead of asking someone else to do it ..."

I read the post just as stated - "clean"
You seem to read it as "clean up"

This could be something more low tech!
ahh, I got it now, thanks. Clean = Clean install?
Old Jun 2, 2020, 10:34 am

Thank you for your help!

Originally Posted by DYKWIA
You shouldn't have to do it in this day and age... but try re-installing Windows..
I am NOT techie at all. Can you or anyone else point me to a good YouTube video for this?

Is Windows installed on the SSD? And all the main apps you use? If anything is installed on the HDD, that would slow things down considerably..
Yes, Windows 10 is installed on SSD and ALL the apps. HDD only has files only on it, no apps.

[QUOTE=DYKWIA;32422331] Also check for any Malware.
How do I check Malware? With what tools (apps)? Does tools come with Windows 10 do the job & what are they?

What security / virus checker do you use? .
Frankly I don't really know . I have never manually run virus checks! Need help with this as well. What is a reliable virus check app? I was afraid to use those popped up on my screen from time to time.

Thanks again! I hope I've not hike jack this thread.
Old Jun 2, 2020, 10:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Marriott or Hilton hot tub with a big drink <glub> Beverage: To-Go Bag™ DYKWIA: SSSS /rolleyes ☈ Date Night: Costco
Programs: Sea Shell Lounge Platinum, TSA Pre✓ Refusnik Diamond, PWP Gold, FT subset of the subset
I am NOT techie at all. Can you or anyone else point me to a good YouTube video for this?
What brand of computer do you have? Lenovo, for instance, has a built in utlity that can walk you though making back up media.

Frankly I don't really know . I have never manually run virus checks! Need help with this as well. What is a reliable virus check app?
EDIT:
Here's a better tutorial:

Last edited by N965VJ; Jun 2, 2020 at 10:56 am
Old Jun 2, 2020, 11:24 am

Originally Posted by N965VJ
What brand of computer do you have? Lenovo, for instance, has a built in utlity that can walk you though making back up media.

EDIT:
Here's a better tutorial:
https://youtu.be/yK1TLn6-GYM
Thank you for your feedback and link. Will check it out later.

My PC is a DELL XPS8700 running on Windows 10 Home, Version 1903, OS build 18362.836 (whatever this means .
Old Jun 2, 2020, 11:30 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines
Original Poster

How do I check Malware? With what tools (apps)? Does tools come with Windows 10 do the job & what are they?

Frankly I don't really know . I have never manually run virus checks! Need help with this as well. What is a reliable virus check app? I was afraid to use those popped up on my screen from time to time.
I use MalwareBytes to check for Malware. You can download the free version. It will check for Malware and remove what it can.

To check your virus scanner, type 'virus & threat protection' into the Windows search bar. Then click on the 'virus & threat protection' at the top left. This should show you which virus checker you are using. Mine shows :-

Old Jun 2, 2020, 2:47 pm

Programs: Seniors Bus Pass
ahh, I got it now, thanks. Clean = Clean install?
I am still thinking even more low tech. When jamcoley says "clean", perhaps they really just mean "clean" - ie blow the crumbs out from between the keys using compressed air, wiping down the screen to get rid of smears, toothpick to get the lint out of sockets etc
allset2travel likes this.
Old Jun 2, 2020, 11:19 pm

@DYKWIA,
Thanks for the info.
I use Windows Defender for now. I will look at other Malware/antivirus apps later.
Old Jun 3, 2020, 5:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Originally Posted by antichef
I am still thinking even more low tech. When jamcoley says "clean", perhaps they really just mean "clean" - ie blow the crumbs out from between the keys using compressed air, wiping down the screen to get rid of smears, toothpick to get the lint out of sockets etc
or even opening up the computer - an amazing amount of dust can accumulate over the years inside a laptop. When I had a MacBook Pro upgraded, I was dumbfound to see the innards. After cleaning it and re-applying thermal paste, it all ran much cooler -> less cooling fan usage -> more battery life
Old Jun 3, 2020, 8:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Most computers made in the last several years have a hidden hard drive partition that lets you easily reinstall Windows and blow everything back to factory state. When you start the computer press Esc or Del (or sometimes F1 or F12- whatever it says on the startup screen) and choose the option to repair your PC.
Old Jun 4, 2020, 5:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

@DYKWIA,
Thanks for the info.
I use Windows Defender for now. I will look at other Malware/antivirus apps later.
Actually, Windows Defender nowadays rates pretty high as an anti-virus
Old Jun 4, 2020, 5:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gfunkdave
Most computers made in the last several years have a hidden hard drive partition that lets you easily reinstall Windows and blow everything back to factory state. When you start the computer press Esc or Del (or sometimes F1 or F12- whatever it says on the startup screen) and choose the option to repair your PC.
True, but if he's as non-techie as he claims, he might need a little more step-by-step than just "hit DEL or ESC" or whatever . Getting at the recovery partition is not as straightforward as it could be (to keep from starting it by mistake), and he could wind up with a nice fresh install and no data.

I'm not 100% sure about the above, since I've never done it, but I'd advise to check out the procedure carefully before just saying "Sure - go ahead".
Old Jun 5, 2020, 6:49 am

Programs: Non-Affiliated
I ran Cat 6 to every point a device with wired access exists. Tivos, Apple TV's, desktops, etc.
freecia, DYKWIA and HDQDD like this.
Old Jun 5, 2020, 8:40 am

Originally Posted by BigLar
True, but if he's as non-techie as he claims, he might need a little more step-by-step than just "hit DEL or ESC" or whatever . Getting at the recovery partition is not as straightforward as it could be (to keep from starting it by mistake), and he could wind up with a nice fresh install and no data.

I'm not 100% sure about the above, since I've never done it, but I'd advise to check out the procedure carefully before just saying "Sure - go ahead".
I've decided to do a "Reinstall". @BigLar, you nailed the concerns that I have. After watching many YouTube videos on the subject, its the recovery partition that still confuses me. I will watch more videos to get a better understanding of it.
Before I reinstall, I will definitely backup ALL my files.
Thanks for helping out, everyone!
freecia and DYKWIA like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.