Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 5, 2023, 6:06 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: username
Free data/trials (control-f to find the actual section for each provider)
  1. Eskimo 1GB 2year - Note: Even though Eskimo is based in Singapore, Singapore is not one of the included countries, probably due to regulatory reasons
  2. RedBullMobile 100MB 1year
  3. Yesim 350 coins 1 year
  4. ExtremeConnect
Device
Be ADVISED: ALL Chinese Mainland and Hong Kong version of EVERY Phone DOES NOT HAVE SUPPORT for eSim
  1. Best device = Apple iPhone
    1. Supports dual eSIM (most android phones w/ eSIM have 1 physical + 1 eSIM slot, but cannot use 2 eSIMs together)
    2. Depending on carrier, supports DSDV (VoLTE voice calls on sim1 gets routed through sim2.data, as though you were doing WiFi calling)
    3. Some androids might support DSDV
  2. esim.me
    1. Allows you to use eSIM on non-native eSIM device
    2. Requires supported/modern phone
    3. Pricey / confusing options
Useful search sites
  1. https://esimdb.com/
  2. https://esims.io/
  3. https://esimradar.com/

eSIM features to consider
  1. Network coverage
    1. which networks are supported (not all eSIM list the networks, and networks can change overtime)
    2. You may want to avoid lower-tier networks or if your phone doesn't support their LTE/5G bands
  2. Amount of data
    1. "Unlimited" data typically has fair usage in ToS/fineprint, eg 0.5-1GB per day or 1GB every 3 days, reset on 4th day midnight. may or may not allow hotspot
    2. Generally data-limited plans allow full-speed w/ hotspot, some offer slow 128kbps after you hit the limit while others cut you off immediately)
  3. length of coverage
    1. eg: 1 day, 3 day, 7 day, 30day, 180day, 365day, noExpiry
  4. Country coverage (single country, regional/EU, global)
  5. Proxy/Latency/IP
    1. Most eSIM providers route you back to their main network, which can incur latency
    2. Your searches will probably geo-locate back to that main network (instead of the country you're in)
    3. Some of your apps may not work (eg Pandora radio only works in USA, won't work in another country)
  6. Data sharing / transfering of eSIM to new device
    1. A few providers allow you to share data, so you can split one plan with multiple eSIM devices (Eskimo, Dent, Vegolink)
    2. Many providers only allow you to activate eSIM profile once. if you have to switch phones, you either lose that data, or have to pay a token amount to get a new eSIM profile with the remaining balance
  7. Price/GB
  8. How data is counted per session
    1. Usually in ToS, usually its rounded up per 1KB/10KB/100KB/1MB increments. Obviously smaller increment is better
  9. Method of activation
    1. Some providers require you to use their app to load the eSIM
    2. Others send you QR code and/or activation URL, for you to manually load onto phone
    3. You need valid network access (via wifi or existing mobile data) to activate eSIM
  10. Expiry countdown
    1. Some providers start counting down expiry once you purchase, or once you activate eSIM onto phone, or once you set foot into country
  11. Speed
    1. generally these eSIM providers get low priority, could be a problem if there is network congestion
    2. you may want to consider a proper provider over an MVNO
  12. Visual Voicemail - it seems depending on the phone and carrier, Visual Voicemail might require a Cellular Connection through your provider or their roaming partners. So, Visual Voicemail might not work if you are using a data-only eSIM with roaming turned off for your "home line"

Unique feature
  1. Ubigi
    1. free eSIM profile. If you don't have valid plan, the eSIM still allows you to connect & browse ubigi.me (and purchase data via creditcard/paypal)
    2. Seems native geo-located IP but still through a regional proxy with some latency (Transactel owns part of Ubigi, and Transactel has their own backend)

Longer term data (180day to no expiry)
  1. Yesim (coins expire 1 year)
  2. Dent (1 year)
  3. Eskimo (2 year)
  4. Esimplus (no expiry)
  5. AIS eSIM2Fly topup (365 day)
  6. 3HK (365 day)

PAYG data
  1. Yesim (varies, deducts from sharedWallet)
  2. Dent (10/GB)
  3. RedBullMobile (varies, need to prepay per GB)

Print Wikipost

eSIM thread

Search this Thread

Old Oct 25, 2023, 9:41 am

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by docbert
This is sort of what I ended up doing - except I went for a physical SIM rather than an eSIM. "Reserved" it from LG U+ in advance which gives 10% off, and it cost ~US$26 for 10 days which isn't what I'd really call cheap, but it is "unlimited" data (3GB/day at LTE speeds).

I went for the physical SIM over an eSIM for 2 reasons - one was because the eSIMs are data only where the pSIMs can also receive calls. The second is because with a pSIM the card that the SIM come in doubles as a TMoney card to use on the subway, saving a few thousand won over buying one separately. Unfortunately the voice option didn't work out, as apparently their voice SIMs don't work on Google Pixel phones, only Apple/Samsung., so I ended up with a data-only one anyway, but otherwise it worked fine.
Good that it more or less worked out for you.

$2.6 / day for 3GB per day is not cheap? T-Mobile Germany would have charged me $50 for 3GB....(not per day!) I guess all things being relative it's a case of personal perception.
Old Oct 25, 2023, 12:15 pm

Originally Posted by ESpen36
If you are going to Singapore, Singtel (the biggest national mobile provider) now offers eSIMs for tourists. You can buy online and complete the identity verification on your device, without needing to bring your passport to a physical location. Nice improvement!

https://www.singtel.com/personal/pro...ans/hi-tourist
Their competitor M1 has been doing this for a while for one of their plans, apparently; cant buy online and not as good coverage, but still usually good enough and much cheaper especially if you only need half of Singtels 4 weeks:
https://www.m1.com.sg/mobile/prepaid-plans/tourist-sim
$12 for 15d/100GB/300mins/100msgs+extra. Buy at the airport and do KYC on your device.

[EDIT]Actually, I see Singtel is offering a $12 plan with 14d/100GB/500min+extras too, so basically on par. The roaming data options available if any do differ between Singtel & M1.

Having said that M1s $14 physical SIM is the best tourist deal if your phone has a SIM tray: 30d/100GB/1000min/500msgs+extras (plus an extra 90d of SIM validity after that).

Last edited by crackjack; Oct 28, 2023 at 8:55 am
Old Oct 28, 2023, 9:22 am

Several good options have already been mentioned, but I'd also suggest looking at US Mobile. $12.50 for their "Unlimited Starter" for the first month on an eSIM and you're set. It's prepaid, so just cancel the auto-pay and/or delete your credit card using either their app or their website and you won't pay more than that.
Does this option work well? Im going to be in the States in Nov, had been looking at Mints 3mth unlimited data (40GB at 5g) plan for $15/mth, so $45 total plus taxes.

The $12.50 pricing with no lock-in is quite surprising given how it so severely undercuts other telcos, but I am not complaining

Last edited by crackjack; Oct 28, 2023 at 5:50 pm
Old Oct 28, 2023, 11:51 am

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
Originally Posted by crackjack
Mints 3mth unlimited data (40GB at 5g) plan for $15/mth, so $45 total plus taxes.
I don't have direct experience, but someone I know tested Mint due to the pricing, and the deprioritization of data can make the service barely usable at times in crowded places.
crackjack likes this.
Old Oct 29, 2023, 2:01 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Does this option (US Mobile) work well?
Actually, perhaps not... I've had a few people in Australia that tried to sign up tell me that they were unable to do so using a foreign credit card, so it may not be an option. Worth trying, but be sure to have a backup plan...
​​​​​
Originally Posted by Majuki
I don't have direct experience, but someone I know tested Mint due to the pricing, and the deprioritization of data can make the service barely usable at times in crowded places.
I've used Mint on-and-off for years (the only way to get their good pricing without a 12-month commit to to flip between them and others) and also Boost Mobile who I think have the same prioritization level on the T-Mobile network. You are correct in that in some situations the (data) performance takes a dive. In my experience it's fairly rare, but it likely depends a lot on the areas that you're in. For low-bandwidth stuff I've never had a problem with it, but if you're looking to do higher-bandwidth streaming it might be more of an issue.
Majuki and crackjack like this.
Old Oct 29, 2023, 2:06 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by FS_FRA
$2.6 / day for 3GB per day is not cheap? T-Mobile Germany would have charged me $50 for 3GB....(not per day!) I guess all things being relative it's a case of personal perception.
All depends on what you're after, doesn't it! I may have had "Unlimited" (and 3GB highspeed/day), but I only used just under 3GB total in the 8 days I was there. If I'd instead gone with Mogo eSIM, that same 3GB would have cost me US$6 rather than the $25 I paid (more likely I would have picked their 5GB for $10 option, but even so).
FS_FRA likes this.
Old Oct 29, 2023, 3:46 pm

I've used Mint on-and-off for years (the only way to get their good pricing without a 12-month commit to to flip between them and others) and also Boost Mobile who I think have the same prioritization level on the T-Mobile network. You are correct in that in some situations the (data) performance takes a dive. In my experience it's fairly rare, but it likely depends a lot on the areas that you're in. For low-bandwidth stuff I've never had a problem with it, but if you're looking to do higher-bandwidth streaming it might be more of an issue.
Boost has been using AT&T since 2021 in addition to T Mobile.
Old Oct 29, 2023, 5:03 pm

Originally Posted by TGarza
Boost has been using AT&T since 2021 in addition to T Mobile.
Yes and no. Boost Mobile use both, but any individual SIM uses only one network.. The SIM's I was referring to above were T-Mobile-based SIMs and have no access to the AT&T network.

(Boost Infinite is different, and does allow cross-network access)
SPN Lifer and Majuki like this.
Old Oct 30, 2023, 12:38 pm

Yes and no. Boost Mobile use both, but any individual SIM uses only one network.. The SIM's I was referring to above were T-Mobile-based SIMs and have no access to the AT&T network.

(Boost Infinite is different, and does allow cross-network access)
I was pointing out Boost has sims for multiple networks which is confusing because there doesnt appear to be an option on the Boost website to specify the preferred carrier network with the plan. Red Pocket lists the network with the sim which does matter regionally.
Old Oct 30, 2023, 1:05 pm

Does this option work well? Im going to be in the States in Nov, had been looking at Mints 3mth unlimited data (40GB at 5g) plan for $15/mth, so $45 total plus taxes.

The $12.50 pricing with no lock-in is quite surprising given how it so severely undercuts other telcos, but I am not complaining
There is $10 cashback for Mint Mobile at topcashback.com.
crackjack likes this.
Old Oct 31, 2023, 6:09 pm

Programs: United Mileage Plus
Is anyone familiar with this one?

https://esim2fly.com/buy/checkouts/?...978&aero-qty=1

Both the vendor eSIM2Fly or the carrier DTAC?

Do these eSIMs include tethering?

Also, I notice that the Thailand prepaid market includes a lot of low-speed (under 10Mbps) products.

So are there eSIMs which include Thailand with tethering included and at least the capability to provide over 20 Mbps?
Old Oct 31, 2023, 10:44 pm

Originally Posted by frappant
Is anyone familiar with this one?

https://esim2fly.com/buy/checkouts/?...978&aero-qty=1

Both the vendor eSIM2Fly or the carrier DTAC
You mean AIS for their Sim2Fly product, not DTAC? Ive used them before locally in TH, no issues at all; theyre the largest telco in TH.

(DTAC was part of the Telenor group, same as Digi in Malaysia. DTAC recently merged with True, THs 2nd largest telco, combined company now 30% Telenor owned.

I used them before in TH too, they were perfectly fine. The merger shouldnt affect that in the short term at least.)

No idea on the SIM2Fly plan, but others have discussed it before in this thread - use the search thread function found at the top of the page - and the wiki also mentions it. It should be fine too.

[EDIT] Huh, I just saw the Wiki has been edited to remove the list with more details for some of the better-known international eSIM providers. this is what it said there before:
  1. AIS eSIM2Fly
    1. Proxy/Exit IP: Thailand
    2. Pro:
      1. they're an actual network provider in Thailand, you're routing back to their network. +66 thai number for (payg) calls/texts
    3. Con:
      1. Refilling data can be painful via 3rd party sites, may require Visa VFV or Mastercard SecureCode, which may not be supported on your credit card
      2. 365day plan cannot be purchased outright, only as topup
    4. Other:
      1. Balance expires after 1 year but can be extended after topup
      2. Cheap for regional asia ($10 for 4GB/8days or $2.5/GB)
      3. Global $75 for 15GB/365 day

Last edited by crackjack; Oct 31, 2023 at 11:08 pm
Old Oct 31, 2023, 11:30 pm

Programs: United Mileage Plus
Looks like better value if you order Thai eSIM directly from carriers.

https://www.reddit.com/r/ThailandTou..._physical_sim/

However, there is a question as to whether you can pay via US credit card.
lsquare and crackjack like this.
Old Nov 1, 2023, 2:41 am

eSIM2Fly is likely not an authorised reseller for AIS (same with thaiprepaidcard), so adding their markup over what they are likely paying themselves. Also, they could be pre-registering the cards?

AISs target audience is those in Thailand planning on travelling out from there; that S2F works for others is a happy benefit they probably dont really care about, and may even shut down as KYC becomes more cumbersome (or is being sidestepped altogether).
Old Nov 1, 2023, 8:58 am

Programs: AA Platinum for Life (2MM), BR Gold, AS MVP Gold, Marriott Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by frappant
Looks like better value if you order Thai eSIM directly from carriers.

https://www.reddit.com/r/ThailandTou..._physical_sim/

However, there is a question as to whether you can pay via US credit card.
As an only possibly relevant data point, I regularly refill a DTAC account in their app with a US credit card.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.