Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 5, 2023, 6:06 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: username
Free data/trials (control-f to find the actual section for each provider)
  1. Eskimo 1GB 2year - Note: Even though Eskimo is based in Singapore, Singapore is not one of the included countries, probably due to regulatory reasons
  2. RedBullMobile 100MB 1year
  3. Yesim 350 coins 1 year
  4. ExtremeConnect
Device
Be ADVISED: ALL Chinese Mainland and Hong Kong version of EVERY Phone DOES NOT HAVE SUPPORT for eSim
  1. Best device = Apple iPhone
    1. Supports dual eSIM (most android phones w/ eSIM have 1 physical + 1 eSIM slot, but cannot use 2 eSIMs together)
    2. Depending on carrier, supports DSDV (VoLTE voice calls on sim1 gets routed through sim2.data, as though you were doing WiFi calling)
    3. Some androids might support DSDV
  2. esim.me
    1. Allows you to use eSIM on non-native eSIM device
    2. Requires supported/modern phone
    3. Pricey / confusing options
Useful search sites
  1. https://esimdb.com/
  2. https://esims.io/
  3. https://esimradar.com/

eSIM features to consider
  1. Network coverage
    1. which networks are supported (not all eSIM list the networks, and networks can change overtime)
    2. You may want to avoid lower-tier networks or if your phone doesn't support their LTE/5G bands
  2. Amount of data
    1. "Unlimited" data typically has fair usage in ToS/fineprint, eg 0.5-1GB per day or 1GB every 3 days, reset on 4th day midnight. may or may not allow hotspot
    2. Generally data-limited plans allow full-speed w/ hotspot, some offer slow 128kbps after you hit the limit while others cut you off immediately)
  3. length of coverage
    1. eg: 1 day, 3 day, 7 day, 30day, 180day, 365day, noExpiry
  4. Country coverage (single country, regional/EU, global)
  5. Proxy/Latency/IP
    1. Most eSIM providers route you back to their main network, which can incur latency
    2. Your searches will probably geo-locate back to that main network (instead of the country you're in)
    3. Some of your apps may not work (eg Pandora radio only works in USA, won't work in another country)
  6. Data sharing / transfering of eSIM to new device
    1. A few providers allow you to share data, so you can split one plan with multiple eSIM devices (Eskimo, Dent, Vegolink)
    2. Many providers only allow you to activate eSIM profile once. if you have to switch phones, you either lose that data, or have to pay a token amount to get a new eSIM profile with the remaining balance
  7. Price/GB
  8. How data is counted per session
    1. Usually in ToS, usually its rounded up per 1KB/10KB/100KB/1MB increments. Obviously smaller increment is better
  9. Method of activation
    1. Some providers require you to use their app to load the eSIM
    2. Others send you QR code and/or activation URL, for you to manually load onto phone
    3. You need valid network access (via wifi or existing mobile data) to activate eSIM
  10. Expiry countdown
    1. Some providers start counting down expiry once you purchase, or once you activate eSIM onto phone, or once you set foot into country
  11. Speed
    1. generally these eSIM providers get low priority, could be a problem if there is network congestion
    2. you may want to consider a proper provider over an MVNO
  12. Visual Voicemail - it seems depending on the phone and carrier, Visual Voicemail might require a Cellular Connection through your provider or their roaming partners. So, Visual Voicemail might not work if you are using a data-only eSIM with roaming turned off for your "home line"

Unique feature
  1. Ubigi
    1. free eSIM profile. If you don't have valid plan, the eSIM still allows you to connect & browse ubigi.me (and purchase data via creditcard/paypal)
    2. Seems native geo-located IP but still through a regional proxy with some latency (Transactel owns part of Ubigi, and Transactel has their own backend)

Longer term data (180day to no expiry)
  1. Yesim (coins expire 1 year)
  2. Dent (1 year)
  3. Eskimo (2 year)
  4. Esimplus (no expiry)
  5. AIS eSIM2Fly topup (365 day)
  6. 3HK (365 day)

PAYG data
  1. Yesim (varies, deducts from sharedWallet)
  2. Dent (10/GB)
  3. RedBullMobile (varies, need to prepay per GB)

Print Wikipost

eSIM thread

Search this Thread

Old Dec 22, 2023, 8:41 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by docbert
esimdb led me to Global Yo who I've been planning to try for some time as their prices are good, so I downloaded their App, purchased a SIM, and off I went!

Or not...
And just to close out my experience with Global Yo, after providing them with all of the details they had asked for in order to refund my non-functional eSIM, they then went completely radio silent on me and have failed to reply to my last few responses to their ticket.

Thankfully my bank was quick with the chargeback when I eventually got around to raising one.

Stay well clear of this mob - I can't really comment on their eSIMs (mine didn't work, but I'm willing to admit that might have been a one-off), but everything else about them is shady as...
LIH Prem, Majuki and tomwhom like this.
Old Dec 26, 2023, 1:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Eskimo has a "free 1gb global data with any purchase - Apply code during checkout: GLOBAL1" promotion. I don't know the specific terms but this could potentially give you 2 GB for 2 years for US$7.
Old Dec 27, 2023, 7:28 am
Formerly known as koeche

Programs: LX HON, QR Plat, Hilton Diamond, Windows 11, Adobe Creative Suite
Originally Posted by username
Eskimo has a "free 1gb global data with any purchase - Apply code during checkout: GLOBAL1" promotion. I don't know the specific terms but this could potentially give you 2 GB for 2 years for US$7.
Sounds quite good... I see two problems though:
1. "World" is apparently limited to certain countries. Did not find Qatar for example, where such a plan could be useful for stop-overs
2. Did not manage to register as the OTP was not delivered (tried two numbers)
Old Dec 28, 2023, 1:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CheckInPeach
Sounds quite good... I see two problems though:
1. "World" is apparently limited to certain countries. Did not find Qatar for example, where such a plan could be useful for stop-overs
2. Did not manage to register as the OTP was not delivered (tried two numbers)
Yeah, their Global is like 80ish countries/regions UAE is included but not Qatar...

When I signed up a few months ago, I never got the OTP through WhatsApp. So, I switched to e-mail and it came. If this is the initial sign up, see the Wiki for another free 1 GB. Some people also have a referral code they make for an additional 500 MB.
Old Dec 28, 2023, 6:45 am
Formerly known as koeche

Programs: LX HON, QR Plat, Hilton Diamond, Windows 11, Adobe Creative Suite
Originally Posted by username
Yeah, their Global is like 80ish countries/regions UAE is included but not Qatar...

When I signed up a few months ago, I never got the OTP through WhatsApp. So, I switched to e-mail and it came. If this is the initial sign up, see the Wiki for another free 1 GB. Some people also have a referral code they make for an additional 500 MB.
I did not even try the Whatsapp option as I will not give my main number to a company that does not have a proper Imprint. I tried the SMS and Voice options, each with two different numbers which did not work. OTP by email was not available.
Old Dec 28, 2023, 2:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CheckInPeach
I did not even try the Whatsapp option as I will not give my main number to a company that does not have a proper Imprint. I tried the SMS and Voice options, each with two different numbers which did not work. OTP by email was not available.
Since this is a Singapore based company, I feel somewhat comfortable with it.

:-( You did it on the App, right? I sent to https://eskimo.travel/free-esim from my phone, downloaded the App, etc.
Old Jan 5, 2024, 9:57 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

iPhone > Settings > General > About > IMS Status

On my iPhone, if I go to Settings > General > About and then scroll down and touch Carrier, Carrier changes to IMS Status. Is this useful for anything in the context of IMS in this thread? (Right now, for IMS Settings, my iPhone says Voice & SMS. I'm in the iPhone's home country, USA, and do not have a second SIM active.)
Old Jan 5, 2024, 10:55 am

Originally Posted by serpens
On my iPhone, if I go to Settings > General > About and then scroll down and touch Carrier, Carrier changes to IMS Status. Is this useful for anything in the context of IMS in this thread? (Right now, for IMS Settings, my iPhone says Voice & SMS. I'm in the iPhone's home country, USA, and do not have a second SIM active.)
Thats normal for the most recent iPhones.

Carrier Lock just above should have the status No sim restrictions to add a second sim. My son had to submit his duty orders to ATT to be able to add an esim .
Old Jan 5, 2024, 6:42 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by TGarza
Thats normal for the most recent iPhones.
[...]
And here I thought I'd discovered something new. But is it useful in any way?
Originally Posted by TGarza
[...]
Carrier Lock just above should have the status No sim restrictions to add a second sim. [...]
That's what it says (although I hadn't noticed it before). But since I have added an eSIM on a few occasions, I wasn't worried about it.
Old Jan 9, 2024, 5:15 am

Originally Posted by docbert
Actually, perhaps not... I've had a few people in Australia that tried to sign up tell me that they were unable to do so using a foreign credit card, so it may not be an option. Worth trying, but be sure to have a backup plan...
​​​​
Thanks for this: I was able to get a US Mobile prepaid plan for a month using a US-based credit card. Worked well, and was able to stop the next months automatic top-up with no issues. Only problem is the card is still captured against the account (cant remove it) and not sure how to close the account now, but not really a huge deal.
Old Jan 9, 2024, 7:45 am

Originally Posted by crackjack
Thanks for this: I was able to get a US Mobile prepaid plan for a month using a US-based credit card. Worked well, and was able to stop the next months automatic top-up with no issues. Only problem is the card is still captured against the account (cant remove it) and not sure how to close the account now, but not really a huge deal.

Does your card allow a virtual card to be created? I have switched payment methods using a virtual card with a max payment amount less than a renewal.
Old Jan 9, 2024, 3:08 pm

The card I got to use was an AmEx, so no.

Which is annoying, because I used to use AmExs freely-available virtual, single-use CC service for individuals a lot back in the early-2000s (they called it Private Payments, I believe?) until they withdrew the functionality circa 2005.
Old Jan 14, 2024, 11:44 pm

Programs: United Mileage Plus
Have anyone gotten any of the eSIMs from the big Thai operators, AIS, dtac, True Move?

They seem to offer it directly on their website but I've heard they don't take US credit cards.

I know that you have to register a passport for prepaid in Thailand but there seems to be suggestions that you can submit a photo of your passport through their apps?
Old Jan 15, 2024, 2:02 am

I’ll be back in Thailand in 2 days, can I help ? I used AIS and can vouch for their service at several locations as steady & fast.
Old Jan 15, 2024, 7:27 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by frappant
Have anyone gotten any of the eSIMs from the big Thai operators, AIS, dtac, True Move?
I got a dtac eSim via Airalo a few months ago. The price was basically the same as going direct, but without any extra registration/etc. Worked perfectly.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.