Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 5, 2023, 6:06 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: username
Free data/trials (control-f to find the actual section for each provider)
  1. Eskimo 1GB 2year - Note: Even though Eskimo is based in Singapore, Singapore is not one of the included countries, probably due to regulatory reasons
  2. RedBullMobile 100MB 1year
  3. Yesim 350 coins 1 year
  4. ExtremeConnect
Device
Be ADVISED: ALL Chinese Mainland and Hong Kong version of EVERY Phone DOES NOT HAVE SUPPORT for eSim
  1. Best device = Apple iPhone
    1. Supports dual eSIM (most android phones w/ eSIM have 1 physical + 1 eSIM slot, but cannot use 2 eSIMs together)
    2. Depending on carrier, supports DSDV (VoLTE voice calls on sim1 gets routed through sim2.data, as though you were doing WiFi calling)
    3. Some androids might support DSDV
  2. esim.me
    1. Allows you to use eSIM on non-native eSIM device
    2. Requires supported/modern phone
    3. Pricey / confusing options
Useful search sites
  1. https://esimdb.com/
  2. https://esims.io/
  3. https://esimradar.com/

eSIM features to consider
  1. Network coverage
    1. which networks are supported (not all eSIM list the networks, and networks can change overtime)
    2. You may want to avoid lower-tier networks or if your phone doesn't support their LTE/5G bands
  2. Amount of data
    1. "Unlimited" data typically has fair usage in ToS/fineprint, eg 0.5-1GB per day or 1GB every 3 days, reset on 4th day midnight. may or may not allow hotspot
    2. Generally data-limited plans allow full-speed w/ hotspot, some offer slow 128kbps after you hit the limit while others cut you off immediately)
  3. length of coverage
    1. eg: 1 day, 3 day, 7 day, 30day, 180day, 365day, noExpiry
  4. Country coverage (single country, regional/EU, global)
  5. Proxy/Latency/IP
    1. Most eSIM providers route you back to their main network, which can incur latency
    2. Your searches will probably geo-locate back to that main network (instead of the country you're in)
    3. Some of your apps may not work (eg Pandora radio only works in USA, won't work in another country)
  6. Data sharing / transfering of eSIM to new device
    1. A few providers allow you to share data, so you can split one plan with multiple eSIM devices (Eskimo, Dent, Vegolink)
    2. Many providers only allow you to activate eSIM profile once. if you have to switch phones, you either lose that data, or have to pay a token amount to get a new eSIM profile with the remaining balance
  7. Price/GB
  8. How data is counted per session
    1. Usually in ToS, usually its rounded up per 1KB/10KB/100KB/1MB increments. Obviously smaller increment is better
  9. Method of activation
    1. Some providers require you to use their app to load the eSIM
    2. Others send you QR code and/or activation URL, for you to manually load onto phone
    3. You need valid network access (via wifi or existing mobile data) to activate eSIM
  10. Expiry countdown
    1. Some providers start counting down expiry once you purchase, or once you activate eSIM onto phone, or once you set foot into country
  11. Speed
    1. generally these eSIM providers get low priority, could be a problem if there is network congestion
    2. you may want to consider a proper provider over an MVNO
  12. Visual Voicemail - it seems depending on the phone and carrier, Visual Voicemail might require a Cellular Connection through your provider or their roaming partners. So, Visual Voicemail might not work if you are using a data-only eSIM with roaming turned off for your "home line"

Unique feature
  1. Ubigi
    1. free eSIM profile. If you don't have valid plan, the eSIM still allows you to connect & browse ubigi.me (and purchase data via creditcard/paypal)
    2. Seems native geo-located IP but still through a regional proxy with some latency (Transactel owns part of Ubigi, and Transactel has their own backend)

Longer term data (180day to no expiry)
  1. Yesim (coins expire 1 year)
  2. Dent (1 year)
  3. Eskimo (2 year)
  4. Esimplus (no expiry)
  5. AIS eSIM2Fly topup (365 day)
  6. 3HK (365 day)

PAYG data
  1. Yesim (varies, deducts from sharedWallet)
  2. Dent (10/GB)
  3. RedBullMobile (varies, need to prepay per GB)

Print Wikipost

eSIM thread

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22, 2019, 10:54 pm

Originally Posted by ajGoes
Verizon's Messages+ makes your Verizon account's SMS available from a Windows or iOS device. I haven't used an iOS version, but I don't imagine it will work from an iPhone that doesn't have a Verizon SIM card in it.
same with t-mobile digits, which actually goes further and virtualizes your t-mobile phone number using your data or wifi connection.

But the whole point of dual sim is so that you don't have to do any of this. I imagine this is cheaper on carriers like t-mobile where you don't have to buy a pricey international plan to have access when overseas, though there are other reasons for sticking with VZW I suppose.

-David
Old Apr 23, 2019, 1:14 am
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond; VS Gold; Uber Diamond
Originally Posted by scubadu
LOL, oh mine likely was much closer to an hour as well, I was just being nice!

And in some ways, the whole photocopy your passport thing is actually more annoying/concerning to me than the time, but certainly would just prefer to hit the ground running, no fuss no muss.

Regards

the privacy issues surrounding it worry me. In reality, what can some phone shop in Paris really do with my passport if I didn’t pay a bill? It’d be like 100 euros of debt MAX. I doubt consular agencies would care to get involved, and reporting me to some collections agency would result in a nearly impossible debt to enforce and certainly not be something that could withstand a credit report appeal.

aside from banning me from the company, realistically all they could do with my passport info is shady stuff, like selling it to scammers and the like to make my life hell. (I suppose this is sufficient deferent, in and of itself.)
Old Apr 23, 2019, 7:44 am

Programs: Fallen DL DM (PM) 2MM
Originally Posted by CatchFlightsNotFeelings
the privacy issues surrounding it worry me. In reality, what can some phone shop in Paris really do with my passport if I didn’t pay a bill? It’d be like 100 euros of debt MAX. I doubt consular agencies would care to get involved, and reporting me to some collections agency would result in a nearly impossible debt to enforce and certainly not be something that could withstand a credit report appeal.
I'm guessing it is a security thing rather than a financial thing. If you use your SIM card in phone to trigger a bomb they'd have some place to start looking. That whole "burner phone" thing...
Old Apr 30, 2019, 7:13 am
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Originally Posted by TheMadBrewer
I'm guessing it is a security thing rather than a financial thing. If you use your SIM card in phone to trigger a bomb they'd have some place to start looking. That whole "burner phone" thing...
Bingo. This is why so many countries have instituted regulations that even prepaid SIMs require a passport being recorded.
Old May 1, 2019, 4:47 am

Programs: SQ,CX,LX
Spark in NZ now allow eSim for their visitor sims.
freecia likes this.
Old May 1, 2019, 7:11 am

Programs: LT Plt, 4mm, *A GLD, burned out medical provider, executing our estate plan
just activated the esim on a new pixel 3 xl. On Google Fi. the physical sim slot is open and ready for travel. It does work with a T mobile data only physical sim in the second slot.

another message solution via data is Hangouts.

And there is an app called Pulse that is cross platform you can use for sms.
Old May 1, 2019, 9:26 am

Programs: Fallen DL DM (PM) 2MM
BTW, if you have a trip coming up soon, Ubigi has a sale going on -- 30% off until May 6.
Old May 15, 2019, 8:05 am
Suspended

Thank for this thread. My wife got the Xs Max. I've been trying to get t-mobile to swich it to e-sim. I tried Twitter & iMessage several times, they're not willing to do it. I went to the store, got a rep who's willing to try eventhough he think it will not work. He was surprised that the system accept the eid number . I do have to wait 30-45 mins to continue on the next step though.
Old May 21, 2019, 1:23 am

Programs: OZ Diamond+ Lifetime, JL Diamond
I was able to provision a Three HK prepaid roaming eSIM on a Google Pixel 3a without any issues.

Three's roaming plan is 10 days at 500MB/day, throttled to 128kbps after you hit the daily quota. You can buy it directly from Three's web site for HKD $138 (USD $17.58).

Roaming coverage countries
--
APAC: China, Macau, Taiwan, Japan, South Korea, Singapore, Malaysia, Thailand, Philippines, Vietnam, Australia
N. America: USA, Canada
Europe: United Kingdom, Italy, Sweden, Ireland, Denmark, Austria, France
freecia likes this.
Old May 21, 2019, 1:34 am

Originally Posted by sixpaq
I was able to provision a Three HK prepaid roaming eSIM on a Google Pixel 3a without any issues.
Did you provision/activate it outside of HK?
Old May 21, 2019, 2:43 am

Originally Posted by freecia
Did you provision/activate it outside of HK?
Yes, I provisioned it in Singapore and it started roaming right away on Singtel.

One good thing about HK carriers is the lack of ID verification. You get the QR code by email a few seconds after paying.
Old May 21, 2019, 2:46 am

Has anyone here tried AIS's 6GB eSIM2Fly?

I tried to buy one but hit a dead end when it wouldn't accept my credit card.
Old May 21, 2019, 12:56 pm

Has anyone here tried AIS's 6GB eSIM2Fly?

I tried to buy one but hit a dead end when it wouldn't accept my credit card.
Thai telcos require payment with a Thai CC or bank account. Thai Prepaid Card resells eSim https://thaiprepaidcard.com/ais-roam...roaming-rates/ I'm not sure if they're reselling pre-registered esims (like they do the sim cards) or if they require identification like passport to register it to your name.
Old May 21, 2019, 3:09 pm

Three's roaming plan is 10 days at 500MB/day, throttled to 128kbps after you hit the daily quota. You can buy it directly from Three's web site for HKD $138 (USD $17.58).

Roaming coverage countries
--
APAC: China, Macau, Taiwan, Japan, South Korea, Singapore, Malaysia, Thailand, Philippines, Vietnam, Australia
N. America: USA, Canada
Europe: United Kingdom, Italy, Sweden, Ireland, Denmark, Austria, France
You missed mentioning the super important part

It's a pack of 10 individual day passes, pack/esim is valid for 90 days after validation.

Each day pass can be activated individually, ending at 23:59HKG time (no proration, so it'll be a waste if you activate it at 8pm to use for 4 hours)

Don't have to use days consecutively.. if you purchase another set of 10-passes, esim and previous passes will be extended another 90days
Old May 21, 2019, 4:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
IFree is giving away eSIM cards at the travel agency at the bottom of KLIA2 (KUL), and apparently also on TG.

Have yet to try mine.

https://www.ifreegroup.com/mogos.html#/home

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.