Community
Wiki Posts
Search

iP8 + iWatch 3

Search this Thread

Old Sep 14, 2017, 3:28 pm

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by wco81
Hmm so how do you deal with the phone number issue?

That $10 will include a new phone number?
All the articles and FAQs that mention the issue state that you have the same phone number for both devices. I would assume that means there is somehow a clone SIM for the phone which access the same data/wireless plan, and that both devices will "ring" when you get a call and it's just a matter of which you decide to use.
Old Sep 14, 2017, 3:30 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by CPRich
Hmmm.

$129 AppleCare+ = Screen size: 4.7, 4.7, 4.7, 4.7, 4.7, 4.7 Cost 449, 549, 549, 649, 699, 849

$149 AppleCare+ = Screen size: 5.5, 5.5, 5.5, 5.5, 5.5, 5.5 Cost 549, 649, 669, 749, 769, 799, 949

I'm gonna stick with screen size correlation. Cheap screen replacement is basically the main benefit, and I suspect largest cost to Apple, of service with AppleCare+. Bigger screen, higher cost to replace, higher insurance cost.
You left out the $99 and $199 insurance products in covering the above?

The screen replacement cost difference (to Apple) due to screen size is marginal.

Would you say Apple's struggle with trying to also get Touch ID included in the iPhoneX was the reason Apple abandoned TouchID with the X?
Old Sep 14, 2017, 3:42 pm

Programs: LT Plt, 4mm, *A GLD, burned out medical provider, executing our estate plan
I'm somewhat shocked they made that mistake.
Really? I am not shocked at all. My 4s on 9.3 still works fine. This show was not really about a massive improvement, it was about selling new phones to people who probably don't really need them.
Old Sep 14, 2017, 3:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Come to think of it, I wonder how the watch will perform overseas if used with a T-Mobile plan. Will it be able to roam--even if the phone were to use a local SIM--or would the LTE portion disable itself until returning to the US?
Old Sep 14, 2017, 3:55 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by boerne
Really? I am not shocked at all. My 4s on 9.3 still works fine. This show was not really about a massive improvement, it was about selling new phones to people who probably don't really need them.
FaceID is being launched so it can't be set to be used by more than one person per iPhone. TouchID -- which is not operational with the iPhoneX -- can be used by more than one person per iPhone

If the iPhoneX had TouchID and/or multi-user FaceID at launch, I would have appreciated that.
Old Sep 14, 2017, 8:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Originally Posted by boerne
I'm not clear on what that has to do with Craig Federighi forgetting to be sure FaceID was enabled before he went onstage.
Old Sep 14, 2017, 8:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Originally Posted by GUWonder
You left out the $99 and $199 insurance products in covering the above?
OK - 6 items same screen size, same price; 6 other items same screen size same price. 2 other items different screen sizes, 2 different prices.

3 products released at the same time, 3 different prices. 2 other products released a year later at the same time, 2 different prices, 3 devices released this year, at the same time, 3 different prices.

I don't see any 2 devices released at the same time that have the same price. But if you want to believe price and age are correlated, I guess you can believe what you want.
Old Sep 14, 2017, 8:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I looked a bit more and it appears that the LTE band support on the Apple Watch is pretty minimal. Basically, just enough to support the US and Canada. However, there seems to be enough UMTS band support that limited 3G roaming might be possible depending on the country (and realistically would probably be good enough considering the speed caps T-Mobile and Sprint impose).

That said, is there any reason why LTE would be useful on an Apple Watch while outside of one's home country?
Old Sep 14, 2017, 11:16 pm
Suspended

I don't see any 2 devices released at the same time that have the same price. But if you want to believe price and age are correlated, I guess you can believe what you want.
That's a weird comment, for I never said insurance price is related to when a device was released.

I indicated insurance price/cost (to consumers) is related to the contemporary retail price of the devices being insured: "Cost appears related to retail price of the phones, with cheaper phones having lower insurance costs." That someone would argue against that seems to be amusing, especially as Apple has set up device insurance to not be a cost-center for it.
Old Sep 15, 2017, 2:34 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM/2.768MM, Global Entry, Titanium_Marriott, GHertz
Originally Posted by tmiw
I looked a bit more and it appears that the LTE band support on the Apple Watch is pretty minimal. Basically, just enough to support the US and Canada. However, there seems to be enough UMTS band support that limited 3G roaming might be possible depending on the country (and realistically would probably be good enough considering the speed caps T-Mobile and Sprint impose).

That said, is there any reason why LTE would be useful on an Apple Watch while outside of one's home country?
While outside the USA - like now in China - I most often have iP and iW on my person at the same time. However, even today I went to the hotel lounge with my iP and would have liked cell function on the iW.
Old Sep 15, 2017, 3:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by gobluetwo
All the articles and FAQs that mention the issue state that you have the same phone number for both devices. I would assume that means there is somehow a clone SIM for the phone which access the same data/wireless plan, and that both devices will "ring" when you get a call and it's just a matter of which you decide to use.
Maybe it isn't common in some countries, but it is a standard feature with Orange France. It's called Multi-Sim. You can have two phones that both ring when your number is called. And they both receive SMS messages to that number. In reality each SIM has its own unique number, but the phone company can easily send the call to both numbers so they ring at the same time. And outbound calls show the CLID of the "main" number.
Old Sep 15, 2017, 8:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Xeno
While outside the USA - like now in China - I most often have iP and iW on my person at the same time. However, even today I went to the hotel lounge with my iP and would have liked cell function on the iW.
Wouldn't the Watch join the hotel's Wi-Fi in that case, though? Assuming that there's no captive portal to deal with, of course (and that the phone was pre-joined to it beforehand).
Old Sep 15, 2017, 8:39 am

Programs: UA 1MM 0P, AA, DL, *wood, Lifetime FPC Plat., IHG, HHD
Originally Posted by tmiw
Wouldn't the Watch join the hotel's Wi-Fi in that case, though? Assuming that there's no captive portal to deal with, of course (and that the phone was pre-joined to it beforehand).
I would imagine so, even today, my watch joins the UnitedWIFI access points and it even works for messaging without paying for internet access, and the phone is OFF.
Old Sep 15, 2017, 9:23 am
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
How much messaging are you doing from the Watch?
Old Sep 15, 2017, 12:17 pm

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
Originally Posted by nmenaker
I would imagine so, even today, my watch joins the UnitedWIFI access points and it even works for messaging without paying for internet access, and the phone is OFF.
It goes much further than that. That data is synched with your Mac.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.