Search

iP8 + iWatch 3

Search this Thread

Old Sep 12, 2017, 2:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Originally Posted by Duke787
It goes without saying that the 8 isn't even worth talking about
You say, with an obviously totally unbiased opinion, disagreeing with tens of millions I would bet.
Old Sep 12, 2017, 2:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Originally Posted by maortega15
She still has the 6 and only uses it for calls, texts and photos. She's not really a tech person. But is it really justifiable to get her the X or even just the 8?!
Not really. As you can tell from the time spent in the presentation, pretending you're Henri Cartier-Bresson, playing games while waving the phone around the room, and sending poop animojis has become the target - probably not for folks of a certain age (me included). My kids will keep their 6's and I'll upgrade at work just because it's free and my lightning port is getting flaky.

But they'll sell millions. Just like the Samsung incremental upgrades.
Old Sep 12, 2017, 2:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by CPRich
You say, with an obviously totally unbiased opinion, disagreeing with tens of millions I would bet.
Well you cut the second part of my quote which said "if comparing to the top line competitors since it's basically just an iPhone 7S"

I'm sure millions will buy it but it doesn't play in the top of the line battle which to me are iPhone X vs. Samsung S8 vs. Samsung Note vs. Google Pixel 2.
Old Sep 12, 2017, 2:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
IMO, the only breakthrough feature of the 8 is wireless charging. Everything else = meh.

I'm still debating what phone to get my mum if she decides to get a new one. She still has the 6 and only uses it for calls, texts and photos. She's not really a tech person. But is it really justifiable to get her the X or even just the 8?!
I pretty much agree. I have a 6S Plus. Losing the Touch ID sensor and replacing it with Face ID is dumb. I don't want to have to look at my phone to unlock it - plenty of situations where that would be inconvenient. It would be fine to have as an option in addition to Touch ID, but not as a replacement for it.

I'm not a huge fan of the way they handled the screen at the top of the phone. Seriously, just shave off that 3mm vertical of screen space at the corners.

And come on... $1000 for a phone? I know Samsung is pushing into that territory, but really...
Old Sep 12, 2017, 3:13 pm

I'll probably ask my mum if her phone is acting up. I honestly don't feel the need to upgrade. The primary purpose of a phone is to make calls. Photos and even texting is just extra.

Jerry Springer still even has a flip phone! And you can just slam the phone shut if you're pissed off with someone on the other end!
Old Sep 12, 2017, 3:19 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
They also seemed super hyped about 4K TV. 4K!!! Who else has that??

Umm, everyone?

And yes, the new one is the X (ten).

Oh joy - I can send animated turds in my messages....

Face ID fails the first time it's demonstrated. Stoking fears of a stupid, unreliable solution.

It appears to be able to do a whole lot of things I would never want it to do. "Check out the physics of the chicken" - I can make my face control an animated emoji of a chicken. Ummmm...OK.
At least in my life, there's a role for sending animated turds.
Old Sep 12, 2017, 3:23 pm

Not really. As you can tell from the time spent in the presentation, pretending you're Henri Cartier-Bresson, playing games while waving the phone around the room, and sending poop animojis has become the target - probably not for folks of a certain age (me included). My kids will keep their 6's and I'll upgrade at work just because it's free and my lightning port is getting flaky.

But they'll sell millions. Just like the Samsung incremental upgrades.
I have a 6 which is getting wonky so I'll upgrade. I have to decide on the 8 or X though. The nicest thing about the X over the 8 to me is that it looks like the X has an 8 plus sized screen in an 8 sized device which appeals to me.
Old Sep 12, 2017, 3:28 pm

Originally Posted by GadgetFreak
I have a 6 which is getting wonky
Curious to know how so
Old Sep 12, 2017, 5:09 pm

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
Originally Posted by Mary2e
Thoughts?
You could always sit this one out. I'm still using the iPhone 5 and decided to keep it running for another year. After that I'll have to rethink it: Maybe a new iPhone, maybe a used 6/6S of a family member switching to a new one. Hate to throw out things that are still in perfect working condition...
Old Sep 12, 2017, 5:39 pm

Originally Posted by WorldLux
Hate to throw out things that are still in perfect working condition...
Sell it online or trade it in.
Old Sep 12, 2017, 5:54 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM/2.768MM, Global Entry, Titanium_Marriott, GHertz
Sell it online or trade it in.
Who is a good vendor to sell an Apple Watch 2 steel black milanese band?

Obviously, I want an iW 3 and looks like I may try to hold out for the iP X.
Old Sep 12, 2017, 6:30 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Mary2e
I was thinking to save the $$$, except the 7 has 32gig or 128gig. The 8 has 64 for only $50 more than getting a 128gig 7.

So I'll just ponder it a bit more I have a 32 now, but I'm near filling it up. I'm sure apps will only take up more & more space.

re: wireless charging... from what I read you had to plug in the pad, so for me, it's not a big deal. I often have it charging while I use it.
It'll be a big deal if you're charging the phone while using your phone to listen to music or podcast (unless you're using bluetooth headphones).
Old Sep 12, 2017, 6:44 pm

Curious to know how so
Battery sometimes goes from about 50% to zero instantly and screen isn't very responsive sometimes.
Old Sep 12, 2017, 6:50 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by GadgetFreak
Battery sometimes goes from about 50% to zero instantly and screen isn't very responsive sometimes.
You need new battery, and this might be the issue for the 2nd problem The iPhone 6’s ‘touch disease’ is spreading, now the largest problem reported to Apple Stores
Old Sep 12, 2017, 7:01 pm

Originally Posted by Vaucluse
You need new battery, and this might be the issue for the 2nd problem The iPhone 6’s ‘touch disease’ is spreading, now the largest problem reported to Apple Stores
Thanks. I hadn't seen that. I got the 6 when it first came out. It's a work phone and it might be time for an upgrade. I'm also thinking I want a larger screen.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.