Wiki Posts
Search

iP8 + iWatch 3

Search this Thread

Old Sep 24, 2017, 1:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM/2.768MM, Global Entry, Titanium_Marriott, GHertz
Originally Posted by Jimmie76
Interestingly El Reg have proposed that to use the watch in LTE mode you'll need keep the iPhone on and connected to the LTE network. That's even if you are just going to take the watch out with you and leave the phone at home. That seems odd/dumb/weird to me but maybe I just don't get it. Also means that you can't use the watch as a backup to make calls when the phone runs out of juice if true. http://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/09...te_watch_woes/
I have only used the cellular iW3 for two days (home late Friday night from LAX) and so far this limitation has not proven problematic for my particular use.
Old Sep 24, 2017, 2:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
Originally Posted by Xeno
I have only used the cellular iW3 for two days (home late Friday night from LAX) and so far this limitation has not proven problematic for my particular use.
That's interesting to know and thanks for confirming it's true.
Old Sep 24, 2017, 2:22 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Would you mind sharing which carrier you use? Thanks.
Old Sep 24, 2017, 3:25 pm
Original Poster

AT&T.
Old Sep 26, 2017, 9:12 am

Programs: ua Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver, Hyatt Gold, National Executive, Avis First
Originally Posted by Jimmie76
That's interesting to know and thanks for confirming it's true.
Seems like only certain features require the phone to be on.

From inc.com https://www.inc.com/associated-press...n-battery.html

"Phone calls and iMessage chats work on the watch even if your phone is off, as do turn-by-turn maps and queries to the Siri voice assistant. For texts, the phone needs to be on -- somewhere. With the phone on, you can perform a variety of other tasks, including checking weather apps, Yelp recommendations and notifications that go to the phone.

Coming soon: the ability to stream Apple Music, even with the phone off. Unfortunately, this doesn't apply to rival music services or Apple's podcast app."
Xeno likes this.
Old Sep 26, 2017, 10:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
Originally Posted by z28lt1
Seems like only certain features require the phone to be on.

From inc.com https://www.inc.com/associated-press...n-battery.html

"Phone calls and iMessage chats work on the watch even if your phone is off, as do turn-by-turn maps and queries to the Siri voice assistant. For texts, the phone needs to be on -- somewhere. With the phone on, you can perform a variety of other tasks, including checking weather apps, Yelp recommendations and notifications that go to the phone.

Coming soon: the ability to stream Apple Music, even with the phone off. Unfortunately, this doesn't apply to rival music services or Apple's podcast app."
The reason for the SMS not working without the phone being on is to do with the way SMS works I believe. If you have multiple devices on one number then only one (the primary sim) can receive the SMS. Therefore the Phone is the primary sim and the Watch the secondary which is why the phone needs to be on to get texts. I may be totally wrong on that but that's what I understand.
Old Oct 16, 2017, 2:55 pm

Question regarding backing up to iCloud and wireless charging:

Does it still backup automatically if it's wirelessly charging? From what I've read, in order to back up to iCloud wirelessly, it has to be connected to a power source. I'm not sure if it has to be via a cable or it can be wirelessly.

I still plan on holding off buying a new phone, but it seems future phones are bound to have wireless charging, so I figured I ask now when the need arises to get myself a new phone.
Old Oct 16, 2017, 10:50 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Well I don't have a wireless charging mat but I would imagine when it charges, the battery icon will show green, just as if it's connected to a power cable.

And presumably that will be enough for iCloud back ups.

You can ask Apple support. They have a chat option.
Old Oct 17, 2017, 7:53 am

Programs: United MP
Originally Posted by maortega15
Does it still backup automatically if it's wirelessly charging? From what I've read, in order to back up to iCloud wirelessly, it has to be connected to a power source. I'm not sure if it has to be via a cable or it can be wirelessly.

I still plan on holding off buying a new phone, but it seems future phones are bound to have wireless charging, so I figured I ask now when the need arises to get myself a new phone.
THe bolded seems incorrect. You can manually backup wirelessly without being connected to a power source. I just did so. It has to be connected to power for an automatic backup though. Not sure about the wireless charging though.
Old Oct 25, 2017, 4:06 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
It’s been reported that Apple has relaxed the Face ID supplier requirements to be able to address supply chain constraints and delivery times.

Just another reason not to get an iPhone 8 early on.
Old Oct 25, 2017, 4:43 am
Original Poster

You said iP8, but did you mean iPX that is available for pre-order on Friday?
Old Oct 25, 2017, 5:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by GUWonder
It’s been reported that Apple has relaxed the Face ID supplier requirements to be able to address supply chain constraints and delivery times.

Just another reason not to get an iPhone 8 early on.
I would think that's a software issue and not a hardware one, no? Pretty weird.
Old Oct 25, 2017, 5:18 am
Suspended

You said iP8, but did you mean iPX that is available for pre-order on Friday?
yes. thanks.
Old Oct 25, 2017, 5:20 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by tmiw
I would think that's a software issue and not a hardware one, no? Pretty weird.
It’s both.
Old Oct 25, 2017, 7:10 am
Original Poster

Although I fly to TXL on Friday, I will get up in the middle of the night this Friday to place an order for the iPX.

In the past, I ordered new iPhones from AT&T but this time I want to deal directly with Apple. Would that not increase my odds of betting an iPX delivered on November 3? Is there a particular color or GB iPX that is most likely to be available for November 3 delivery?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.