Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Best noise cancelling headphones for flying?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best noise cancelling headphones for flying?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 15, 2018, 6:27 am

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by WilcoRoger
Ety's are one of my favourites. I think the manufacturer doesn't go up to 40db in their spec sheets, IIRC it's 35db. Either figure means that you're in Nirvana, be it crying babies or engine noise.

Don't care about the BT - the same cord that would go around the neck could instead just be plugged into the player. Nothing to be charged, everything just works.

For IEMs or other in-ear units, the cords act to secure the 2 units together and on one's body.

My issue with having the cord run all the way to the playing device is microphonics; awkward extra cord when stowing device in breast pocket, running to exterior pocket; and general entanglement with seatbelts, getting caught in the armrest, etc...........
Old Oct 16, 2018, 10:16 am

Programs: *G
Also running into some connectivity issues with the WH1000XM3.

Most of the time connection quality is flawless. Occasionally it'll stutter and skip. Phone is current gen flagship with no case. I'm wearing thing clothing without any other device for interference. Phone being in trouser pockets or exterior coat pocket makes it skip. Moving it to breast pocket fixes most of the time.

Connection is on LDAC which favors higher sound quality. I could switch it to the other codec but then what's the point?

When connected to the computer in my office, and walking around the space, range is no better than a miniature Plantronics single-ear unit. Worse, actually.
Old Oct 18, 2018, 10:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL FO, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by RSSrsvp
The build quality of the Sony headphone line has always been suspect. All one has to do is a Google search and you will see many complaints. IMO at some point in time one really needs to take that into consideration when making their selection which is why after returning the Bose QC35ll I went with the Bowers & Wilkins PX. The sound quality of the PX is amazing, their NC while not as good as Bose is fine and when you look at the materials they use their build quality is definitely the best in class. Also one last factor which some of us take into our decision making process is that their design (especially the gold/blue version) is absolutely beautiful!!!.
Update: I used my Bowers & Wilkins PX headphones on Tuesday on a flight while watching a Netflix movie I had downloaded to my iPad Pro. The sound quality was fabulous and the noise cancelling was excellent. It was a 2.5 hour flight and the PX headphones felt very comfortable on my head.
Old Oct 18, 2018, 11:30 am

Programs: AC SE100K MM
This is interesting. I had the Sony on my wishlist. Since I am hard on my things. The B&W looks very interesting.
Old Oct 19, 2018, 1:25 pm

MPOw H5

I purchased the MPOW H5 Active Noise Cancelling headphones which not only has a Noise Cancelling Feature. it has Bluetooth, removeable cable so if the cable goes bad you can replace it. It also has a USB charging port for the ANC- the battery is built in. The audio sounds very good even without the ANC yes you can use it if the battery dies! For $50(may be less now) on Amazon its worth the cost!

The sound quality is very good and the build construction is solid. Unlike other ANC headphoes I had the ear piece would break off! These headphones are well constructed. Very comfortable to wear! The bass is very good and it has excellent sound quality with various types of music.
Old Oct 21, 2018, 1:59 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
I got some AKG N60 Noise Cancelling Headphones
https://www.akg.com/Headphones/Over-...ar/N60+NC.html
for "free" when per-ordering my Samsung Note 9. I usually use some Sony MDR-NC13, NC22 or NC33 earbuds. I once had Bose and sat on them by accident breaking an earmuff off.
Anyhow, I tried the AKG N60 on some recent flights. I used the provided cord and not the Bluetooth to plug into the aircraft IFE. They worked fine, fold up pretty small for headphones, and stayed charged for the duration of an 8 hr flight. The battery is non-removable. Charges using a Micro-USB port which is kid of awkward since the phone they came with has USB-C but I have plenty of cables from old phone.

I would not go out and buy them on purpose for $249 from akg.com or $169 from Amazon but close enough for free.
Old Oct 21, 2018, 5:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by Cozmo456
I am on my second set of Bose. The main reason is that my old QCs were in bad shape from a lot of travel. I took them to Bose and they gave me a trade in allowance to get the QC25. I will have had these for 4 years soon. All I have done is replace the earpads once (get compatible cheap ones from Amazon).

I wanted wireless and got a cheap pair of Cowin E7s. Noise cancellation and sound quality is the same as the Bose. But for $50.

However as someone above said, these are Camrys.

But now my eyes are on the WH1000XM3. This will be a gift to my self once I get a new phone, new watch and become more available. But who knows. Maybe the XM4 will be out by then.
@Cozmo456 you mentioned that the Cowin E7s were mentioned above... which post exactly?

What exactly with the Cowin E7s is worse than the other more expensive ANCs mentioned?
Old Oct 22, 2018, 5:17 am

Originally Posted by yyznomad
@Cozmo456 you mentioned that the Cowin E7s were mentioned above... which post exactly?

What exactly with the Cowin E7s is worse than the other more expensive ANCs mentioned?
I meant that the cheap tier are Camry. The expression was used above.

The Cowins NC is not as good. Maybe 80%. The sound quality is not as good as the B&W (I had to go try them out after this thread). Again 80%. For movies, you can't tell. The build quality and comfort is excellent.

And I think they are selling them off as a newer model is coming out.

I still want the B&W. But. I already have Boze and Cowin.
Old Oct 22, 2018, 6:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
I meant that the cheap tier are Camry. The expression was used above.

The Cowins NC is not as good. Maybe 80%. The sound quality is not as good as the B&W (I had to go try them out after this thread). Again 80%. For movies, you can't tell. The build quality and comfort is excellent.

And I think they are selling them off as a newer model is coming out.

I still want the B&W. But. I already have Boze and Cowin.
@Cozmo456

Ok, thanks. I guess with the Cowin it is a true case of you get what you pay for... (?) Would you recommend them for someone who is not an audiophile, who simply wants to listen to music on their phone, drown out engine noise, and possibly drown out parents that nag and bicker a lot when you visit them during holidays?
Old Oct 22, 2018, 8:39 pm

For $50 it is a great headset. For $100, no.

B&W, Sony and Bose are all 6x the price. And you pay for that last little bit.

So yes I am happy. And if they break or get lost, meh.
Old Oct 22, 2018, 9:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

For $50 it is a great headset. For $100, no.

B&W, Sony and Bose are all 6x the price. And you pay for that last little bit.

So yes I am happy. And if they break or get lost, meh.
Ok thanks. I think I might get a pair.

Any opinions on Skullcandy?
Old Oct 22, 2018, 9:18 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Comfort is the biggest issue with the over the ear headphones.

Do they pinch your ear lobes?

Do they cause the skin around the ear to perspire or make you want your ears to "breathe" after wearing them for a couple of hours?
Old Oct 23, 2018, 4:00 am

Originally Posted by yyznomad
Ok thanks. I think I might get a pair.

Any opinions on Skullcandy?
No experience.

Originally Posted by wco81
Comfort is the biggest issue with the over the ear headphones.

Do they pinch your ear lobes?

Do they cause the skin around the ear to perspire or make you want your ears to "breathe" after wearing them for a couple of hours?
I wear glasses and that makes it worse actually. But I cannot put things in my ears.

Bot my Bose and Cowins fit really well. I The Cowin is bigger and makes a greater seal against outside noise. But they are much heavier in that it is a metal construction. So the weight might be an issue for some people. I get up a lot so they get taken off.
Old Oct 23, 2018, 4:36 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond
I picked up a pair of Sony WH-1000xm3 silver headphones yesterday (couple in an airport duty free shop so bought straightwway for £320) and they're pretty good.
Never read the instructions as no real opportunity but a couple of YouTube videos have sorted out the swipe / gesture basics.
20ft range perhaps when using Bluetooth. They then cut out and pause or stop music playback on my phone.

Would have bought the Bose QC35ii hadn't they been in stock as I did need some.

Going to test them flying later today but more than happy with them so far.
Old Oct 26, 2018, 1:52 pm

Programs: Fallen DL DM (PM) 2MM
Just got back from my first trip with the Sony WH1000XM3 and I am still very happy. Two TATL flights and a number of train and intercity bus trips as well.

The "cup the right headphone to hear ambient sounds" worked well when listing to announcements but not so when interacting with people (e.g. flight attendant, seat mate) as they didn't realize I could hear them when I made that silly gesture
brp1264 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.