Search

iPhone SE - new 4 inch model

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5, 2016, 7:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Wow, now I know why I've kept my 5s. I had just reasoned that it still worked fine and had all the horsepower I needed. But now I see that I'm not alone in liking the size. I haven't really tried holding the 6 or 6s so I'm not sure if that would be too big or not. It's nice to know this SE model will be there when I eventually have to get a new phone. I'll bet the sales of the SE are not going to match previous blockbuster numbers of new iPhones, but I hope they sell enough to keep it around.
Old Apr 5, 2016, 7:51 am

I've now had 48 hrs with the new SE and overall very happy. Compared to my 5s, SE is considerable faster. I did not upgrade the 5s to 9.x so still trying to learn the new iOS. I do miss my cydia tweaks but confident jb will be out eventually.

Old Apr 5, 2016, 10:24 pm

my everyday phone is a samsung galaxy s6. however, i also have the green iphone 5c that i bought for about $300 as a spare and also to keep myself tethered to the ios world.

the 5c's screen is scratched up pretty badly because i don't have a case for it and it just kind of sits at the bottom of my bag. i only keep it there as a spare and use it maybe only once or twice a month.

i'm thinking of getting the se. How much of a difference is there between the 5c and the se?
Old Apr 6, 2016, 7:07 pm

There is a lot of difference. You will like it.

I'm now 3 days in with my SE. Much better battery life and it is zippier. I'm not getting on Tmobile's band 12 with it yet at work, which is what I was hoping, so I need to look into that some more.

I purchased my 5s two years ago outright for $750. I traded in my old 4s end of February and my 5s when I picked up the SE, so the 64gb SE only cost me a bit under $300 with tax. If I get two years out of it, that seems like a good return.
Old Apr 6, 2016, 7:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
If it just sits in your bag to be used 1-2x/month, why bother? Unless you happen to have plenty of $500 bills to burn and are completely out of ideas for things you'd actually use more often.
Old Apr 7, 2016, 2:24 pm

Programs: United MP
Originally Posted by javabytes
If it just sits in your bag to be used 1-2x/month, why bother? Unless you happen to have plenty of $500 bills to burn and are completely out of ideas for things you'd actually use more often.
This. The 5c works good enough for me as a daily phone. For their use, or lack of use, it seems better to stick with the 5c for now.
Old Apr 7, 2016, 3:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
I just ordered one today. I've been using a 6/6s since last fall, and I really miss using the 5s (my mom has it now.) I really wanted to get back into a smaller phone. There's nothing really on the Android side, and just getting another 5s made no sense. There was nothing that was really holding me to the 6s either.

Originally Posted by wcj1
There is a lot of difference. You will like it.

I'm now 3 days in with my SE. Much better battery life and it is zippier. I'm not getting on Tmobile's band 12 with it yet at work, which is what I was hoping, so I need to look into that some more.

I purchased my 5s two years ago outright for $750. I traded in my old 4s end of February and my 5s when I picked up the SE, so the 64gb SE only cost me a bit under $300 with tax. If I get two years out of it, that seems like a good return.
The band 12 issues is concerning. I don't live in a B12 area, but I've travelled to enough areas where it is vital.
Old Apr 10, 2016, 6:06 am

Programs: Costco Executive, RaceTrac Sultan of Soda, Chick-fil-A Red
I would only buy the SE if I needed an iPhone for an emergency. I currently have a 6S Plus 64GB.
Old Apr 10, 2016, 6:10 pm

I had been putting off replacing my 32GB 4S because of money and size - I didn't like the size of the 6 and since I'm out of contract, my choices were to either pay full price for an unlocked phone and keep my grandfathered 6GB/month data plan or get a subsidized phone and end up paying more money for less data (there have been times when having a larger data bucket combined with tethering has come in very handy).

I ended up ordering a 64GB SE the day they were available and I'm very happy with it - of course, going from a 4S to anything newer would be an improvement.
Old Apr 11, 2016, 9:24 pm

this is totally off-topic, but I wish Samsung comes out with a near-flagship Android phone with a nice small 4-inch screen.

I finally got to play with the new iPhone SE, but I was put off by the somewhat poor quality of the screen. I had it side-by-side next to a 6s and the SE screen was not as bright or colorful.
Old Apr 11, 2016, 10:32 pm

Originally Posted by Siberian_Viktorya
this is totally off-topic, but I wish Samsung comes out with a near-flagship Android phone with a nice small 4-inch screen.
Look into Sony Xperia compact - I had the Z3 some time ago and it was an amazing phone. Had to give it up for iPhone because I need FaceTime.
Old Apr 11, 2016, 10:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by davie355
Look into Sony Xperia compact - I had the Z3 some time ago and it was an amazing phone. Had to give it up for iPhone because I need FaceTime.
I had the regular Z3 shortly after it came out. It was a very nice phone at first, but as it aged it did not hold up well. The radios just seemed to have worn out faster than I was expecting. I unlocked my iPhone 5s, before dabbling with a Galaxy S6. Which is why I'm as excited as I am about the SE.
Old Apr 15, 2016, 3:07 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Siberian_Viktorya

I finally got to play with the new iPhone SE, but I was put off by the somewhat poor quality of the screen. I had it side-by-side next to a 6s and the SE screen was not as bright or colorful.
The manufacturing tolerances in a small phone are much more difficult. That's not going to happen.
Old Apr 16, 2016, 4:36 am

Originally Posted by ou81two
The manufacturing tolerances in a small phone are much more difficult. That's not going to happen.
If Samsung could make smaller phones before they started to make gigantic phones they can do it again.
Old Apr 16, 2016, 8:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by weekilter
If Samsung could make smaller phones before they started to make gigantic phones they can do it again.
The first Galaxy S, mine was called the Mesmerize, had a 4 inch display. The iPhone, I think it was the 4, was still rocking a 3.5 inch display. Baring that they have made, and continue to make high end phones with a display larger than the rest, their "budget" phones trend to have the smaller screens. There is/was a small displayed high end phone that Samsung made, it was available only via AT&T in the US, and it did not sell well. Probably because it was overpriced here and rarely advertised.

My SE showed up on Wednesday, and I've been very happy with it. There has been a slight adjustment going from the 6s to this, but being able to reach the entire screen at once, and holding on it it in general is with it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.