Reload this Page >

iPhone SE - new 4 inch model

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

iPhone SE - new 4 inch model

Search this Thread

Old Apr 1, 2016, 9:27 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, B6, CX, KE, Latitude, VIFP, Crown & Anchor, etc.
Walmart offering $100 off iPhones, SE included - in store only

Good news for those considering an iPhone, including the SE - your local Walmart in the U.S. is dropping prices by $100 - in store only, exclude online orders - iPhone 6, 6S, 6+ plus the new SE are getting $100 off.

S/S Galaxy 6 and 7 also discounted by $100 - in store only.

Both discount for a limited time only.

We got our Nexus 6 and 5X with T-Mo's extra LTE band covered - not chasing the SE, still got plenty of useful life on the 5S, slower & older hardware and no NFC. Yes, Android Pay is nice ... at participating merchants & my favorite vending machines, among the places.
Old Apr 1, 2016, 9:28 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
You post that on April Fools day?
Old Apr 1, 2016, 10:43 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, B6, CX, KE, Latitude, VIFP, Crown & Anchor, etc.
Originally Posted by wco81
You post that on April Fools day?
For real, seemed kosher to me - go question CNN Money - one of the many sources reporting ... unless they got fooled too, link here - http://money.cnn.com/2016/04/01/tech...almart-iphone/

Went to check things out at Wallie's site - promotion is there too, unless - they got hacked, in which case - aren't they obligated to honor it, out of good faith
Old Apr 2, 2016, 7:16 am

Difference between 5C and SE should be pretty significant.
^^^

Originally Posted by wcj1
I have an iPhone SE waiting at a store for pick-up, but it will probably be a few days before I get it. I really like the size of my 5s
On a more serious note, earlier this morning, just sold my Moto X 2014 via CL and off to apple store to shop for a SE. I had a Moto G and then the Moto X but after almost 3 years of running Android/iOS side by side, personal preference is for latter.

I have the 5s for biz use, and my wife has the 6s+. She prefers the larger phone and I much prefer the smaller form -- my favorite still remains the 4s. Yes, the SE has parts from 5 and 6 series but so what? They reduced the price, make a higher margin and we can get te 64gb model for $499 -- it's a win-win. How many forms/shapes/edges can one invent....at the end of the day it's only a phone, IMHO.
Old Apr 3, 2016, 6:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
iPhone SE has better internals, including processor, camera and NFC.
Some of it is new parts and some aren't. See How do you build a cheap iPhone? Use a lot of old parts
Old Apr 3, 2016, 12:10 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Originally Posted by Jimmie76
Some of it is new parts and some aren't. See How do you build a cheap iPhone? Use a lot of old parts
Camera is better and the display is suppose to be brighter. Of course a much better SOC.

http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/136692-apple-iphone-se-vs-iphone-5s-vs-iphone-5c-what-s-the-difference
Old Apr 3, 2016, 12:23 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Great phone. A wonderful upgrade from my 4s model. Fast processor, bright screen. Perfect size for those of us who do not want to wear an Ipad-sized device on our belts.

Last edited by 747FC; Apr 3, 2016 at 3:55 pm
Old Apr 3, 2016, 3:23 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by KRSW
Considering you can get used iPhone 5S' on Swappa for $160, not sure why a $400 crippled iPhone even exists.
Maybe if you bothered to read about it you'd know. Apple doesn't spend the small fortune it takes to engineer a new phone and setup assembly and marketing for no reason.

A ton of people like this form factor. Said people want a new phone. Apple wants to make money. Small phone fans get a much snappier device with better battery life and new features. Apple gets money.

Pretty simple.
Old Apr 3, 2016, 3:25 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by IsleOfMan
In the vein of actually discussing the 5SE, I'm a little surprised the didn't update the 5/5s form factor to the rolled edges of the 6-series. It honestly makes it feel like a 4-year old phone regardless of what's under the hood. I'm not an iOS user and wouldn't be considering one of these, but I do know iOS devotees who might... I'm curious to see if they're put off at all by the dated design.
Well they are trying to segment markets a little. Apple wants to have a lower priced phone, but not eat away at flagship sales hence the different branding and form factor.

That said, holding the 6 generation of iPhones is harder to do with the rounded edges. A lot of people liked the squareness of the 5.
Old Apr 3, 2016, 4:21 pm
Suspended

I think the smaller form factor of the SE with the relative power of the 6 is an ideal travel companion; i'm just worried my eyes wont adjust to the smaller screen.
Old Apr 3, 2016, 11:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Picked up one for Mrs. javabytes yesterday. I have a 6s Plus and it feels like a toy in my hand... I will never go back to something that small, but it fit her criteria of:
1) being no bigger than her existing iPhone 5, and
2) not freezing all the time like her existing iPhone 5

It's a quite welcome refresh for those who don't want to be pushed into a larger screen size.
Old Apr 4, 2016, 12:23 am
AAL

My brother, God love him, clings to his 5S because he likes the size and strongly prefers iOS... he's cheap too
Me too. I cling to the 5S handed down to me by my daughter (when she got a 6) because that size fits in my pocket.

But I'm probably not in the generation of consumers that Apple is marketing to.
Old Apr 4, 2016, 8:35 pm

In the vein of actually discussing the 5SE, I'm a little surprised the didn't update the 5/5s form factor to the rolled edges of the 6-series. It honestly makes it feel like a 4-year old phone regardless of what's under the hood. I'm not an iOS user and wouldn't be considering one of these, but I do know iOS devotees who might... I'm curious to see if they're put off at all by the dated design.
Well, you know the way it is now you can get just the type of iPhone you like. If you want a big phone you can get one and if you want a smaller phone you can get that too. I'm not a fan of big phones like the 6 or 6+. And believe it or not some people prefer the design with the beveled edges and the + and - volume controls. As the French may or may not say chacun à don goût (each to his own.) The SE is also easier to operate with one hand.
Old Apr 4, 2016, 8:46 pm

it's not a BAD form factor by any means... it just feels stale and lacking in even the veneer of innovation or even trickle-down modernization.

My brother, God love him, clings to his 5S because he likes the size and strongly prefers iOS... he's cheap too, but a free '14 Moto G LTE when he moved to Cricket Wireless couldn't even woo him away from the 5S and I doubt anything will until he breaks it and gets a used 5SE.
As you can see from other comments many people think that the 5/5s form factor is easier to hold.

I'm really not sure what you mean by "even the veneer of innovation" means. The internals of the SE are almost exactly the same as the 6S with a few exceptions. If you are talking the curved edge design that's actually regressing as that's the design of the original iPhone and the 3, 3G and 3GS. It's the same damn phone. Why do you think rolled edges is preferable to rounded edge? That must mean that you think that the original iPhone and the iPhone 3G and 3GS were a better form factor than the 4 or 5. That appears to be what you are saying since they had rounded edges.
Old Apr 4, 2016, 9:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
I really don't like the rolled edges of the 6/6s. The SE is easier to grip. I also don't really like the camera protruding out the back.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.