FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Travel Technology (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travel-technology-169/)
-   -   iPhone SE - new 4 inch model (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travel-technology/1756579-iphone-se-new-4-inch-model.html)

stimpy Mar 31, 2016 10:11 am

iPhone SE - new 4 inch model

I just got an email from Apple about this. It looks like a good choice for kids at $399. Has anyone ordered one?

http://www.apple.com/shop/buy-iphone/iphone-se

stimpy Mar 31, 2016 3:10 pm

Sure it is expensive, but I wonder if the smaller screen is tougher and less likely to crack. It seems every teenager I meet has a cracked screen.

KRSW Mar 31, 2016 11:52 pm

Considering you can get used iPhone 5S' on Swappa for $160, not sure why a $400 crippled iPhone even exists.

TheTakeOffRush Apr 1, 2016 12:16 am

Expensive compared to some of these options, no doubt. Leaving aside the price point, I'm delighted for a non phablet-sized device. I thought it tactful how the Cookie Monster avoiding saying they brought back a size they shouldn't have written off.

IsleOfMan Apr 1, 2016 12:09 pm

In the vein of actually discussing the 5SE, I'm a little surprised the didn't update the 5/5s form factor to the rolled edges of the 6-series. It honestly makes it feel like a 4-year old phone regardless of what's under the hood. I'm not an iOS user and wouldn't be considering one of these, but I do know iOS devotees who might... I'm curious to see if they're put off at all by the dated design.

SANspotter Apr 1, 2016 12:40 pm

I went from a 5S to a 6S, and there's no way I could go back to a phone that small!

wco81 Apr 1, 2016 1:32 pm

Originally Posted by KRSW (Post 26418944)
Considering you can get used iPhone 5S' on Swappa for $160, not sure why a $400 crippled iPhone even exists.

iPhone SE has better internals, including processor, camera and NFC.

DeafFlyer Apr 1, 2016 2:18 pm

I want the 6S, but will probably only be able to afford the SE. I'll be happy with it if that's what I end up with.

TheTakeOffRush Apr 1, 2016 2:21 pm

Originally Posted by IsleOfMan (Post 26421828)
In the vein of actually discussing the 5SE, I'm a little surprised the didn't update the 5/5s form factor to the rolled edges of the 6-series. It honestly makes it feel like a 4-year old phone regardless of what's under the hood. I'm not an iOS user and wouldn't be considering one of these, but I do know iOS devotees who might... I'm curious to see if they're put off at all by the dated design.

Good point, IsleOfMan. The lingering form factor is notable, but I'm not sure what it means exactly. Maybe they wanted to be safe and so went back to the last known form factor (on a non-massive phone) that sold well?

Is it the kiss of death in the high tech consumer products world to let a form factor lie dormant. I think so, albeit not for me.

IsleOfMan Apr 1, 2016 2:39 pm

it's not a BAD form factor by any means... it just feels stale and lacking in even the veneer of innovation or even trickle-down modernization.

My brother, God love him, clings to his 5S because he likes the size and strongly prefers iOS... he's cheap too, but a free '14 Moto G LTE when he moved to Cricket Wireless couldn't even woo him away from the 5S and I doubt anything will until he breaks it and gets a used 5SE.

wco81 Apr 1, 2016 2:58 pm

They're probably able to save money by using an existing form factor but still using updated internals.

Tanic Apr 1, 2016 5:23 pm

Originally Posted by IsleOfMan (Post 26421828)

The iPhone SE has all the internal features and speed of a 6s except for 3D touch, costing $250 less. Battery actually lasts longer.

wcj1 Apr 1, 2016 5:36 pm

I have an iPhone SE waiting at a store for pick-up, but it will probably be a few days before I get it.

I really like the size of my 5s, and yes it is a little weird that they didn't curve edges, but previous cases and such will still fit. For me, I wanted the size, the faster internals, and the additional LTE coverage (band 12 Tmobile for me).

Error 601 Apr 1, 2016 9:09 pm

I'm dithering on the iPhone SE, I'm still on the iPhone 5c and not interested in a larger device.

It doesn't seem like a tremendous value but since iOS added support for ad blockers on 64-bit devices and made iOS web browsing tolerable again, I guess I'm in the market for a newer device. It just depends on whether I can justify the differential between the 5s and SE.

wco81 Apr 1, 2016 9:15 pm

Difference between 5C and SE should be pretty significant.