Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Need help asap! Laptop problem - Murphy's Law

Search this Thread

Old Sep 17, 2015, 2:32 pm

Programs: United, American, Southwest, USAirways, Delta
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
The weird thing is I wrote down all the info from Carbonite settings, so the password should have worked. I've given him the challenge questions answers in case he gets those.
Great. So now he knows your mother's maiden name, first pets name, etc. If you saw the film "Now You See It" you know that knowing that info can get you into trouble...
Old Sep 18, 2015, 9:27 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by pittpanther
Great. So now he knows your mother's maiden name, first pets name, etc. If you saw the film "Now You See It" you know that knowing that info can get you into trouble...
Shrug. I trust the guy (he came with very high recommendations from multiple people) & he gave me back all the paperwork I gave him with that information. Yes he could have copied it. But I'm betting money/my accounts he didn't & moved on to his next client.

BTW - I make up fake names/cities/etc for the security questions; always have. So he had access to that info (and it can obviously be changed), but it's not related to my real life.

Cheers.
Old Sep 21, 2015, 3:17 pm
Original Poster

Just curious. I've had the laptop plugged into power since getting it/it's in home office (6 days ago). I'm down to 98% on the battery. Obviously that's not a big drain/minimal, but if I'm plugged into power why is it less than 100%? Again, not a biggie but just wondering if there's anything I should be aware of/keep an eye on.

Cheers.
Old Sep 21, 2015, 3:27 pm

Most intelligent charging solutions don't keep the battery permanently topped of at 100%. Don't be surprised if it varies from 95% to 100% during normal operation.
Old Sep 21, 2015, 4:00 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Dodge DeBoulet
Most intelligent charging solutions don't keep the battery permanently topped of at 100%. Don't be surprised if it varies from 95% to 100% during normal operation.
Thanks. I wasn't really worried given I've been using it pretty heavily since I got it last Tuesday & it just says 98%. Was more curious/wanted to know if there was something I should be aware of.

BTW - after 14 days of driving to McD's & the library to access i-net, it's so nice to have the new laptop & stay home. It's even nicer that right now the weather is great, I have a view of the lake & a 3-season porch. I spent a few hours on Sunday on the porch doing some non-work stuff & admiring the view while I was online

Cheers.
Old Sep 22, 2015, 2:53 am
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Location: UK - the nearest airport is named after a motorway !
Sharon, you might not have noticed this post

in all the excitement...

How about this for a new handle?

Old Sep 22, 2015, 8:39 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Stewie Mac
in all the excitement...

How about this for a new handle?

Nope, didn't see that thread.

But too many FTers know me as SkiAdcock, and I get emails & PMs saying hey Ski . However, having Sharon as my signature sometimes helps w/ those that think I'm a guy

Cheers.
Old Sep 24, 2015, 1:22 pm
Original Poster

Not really laptop related, but tying into all the electronics have been failing since I moved scenario (continuing w/ Murphy's Law theme). Now my cell phone charger has stopped working & I'm down to the barest charge. Grrrr. I think/hope I might have an extra charger, but who knows which of the (many) boxes from moving it's in. A FTer gave me his cell phone of the same model this past summer when I was having some problems w/ the phone, so I got that one & figured I'd swap the batteries while I look for the charger. Only to find out that that battery is also at the minimum charge level. Argh....
Old Sep 24, 2015, 1:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Not that it will help you in the short term, but new chargers are $10 on Amazon. Cheaper if you could wait and buy off eBay or something.

Amazon Amazon
Old Sep 24, 2015, 1:46 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by pseudoswede
Not that it will help you in the short term, but new chargers are $10 on Amazon. Cheaper if you could wait and buy off eBay or something.

http://www.amazon.com/Home-Travel-Ch...5%3A2470955011
Wow - thanks for that. Since it's not manufactured anymore I didn't think I'd be able to get another charger. Will order it.
Old Sep 24, 2015, 3:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Wow - thanks for that. Since it's not manufactured anymore I didn't think I'd be able to get another charger. Will order it.
Heck, order 3 or 4 - $4 each with free shipping.
Old Sep 24, 2015, 4:28 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DenverBrian
Heck, order 3 or 4 - $4 each with free shipping.
Old Sep 25, 2015, 10:22 am
Original Poster

Thanks to psuedoswede's suggestion in this post:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/25477161-post629.html

it reminded me that I have a set of int'l/US adaptors. Wasn't sure what box it was in, but then remembered one that I had for particular items/found it & the cell phone is now charging. So it won't matter that the new charger won't arrive until sometime between September 30-Oct 5.

On a different note - I'm now superstitious. It seemed that the Kindle not charging properly (and I had to order a new one) & the cell phone charger dying seemed to occur after I moved here/would plug them in one of the kitchen outlets. I know, electricity is electricity, but I'm not going to use those outlets anymore & will just plug them in to recharge on the same surge protector I've got the laptop, printer & phone plugged into.

Cheers.
Old Sep 25, 2015, 10:49 am

Thanks to psuedoswede's suggestion in this post:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/25477161-post629.html

it reminded me that I have a set of int'l/US adaptors. Wasn't sure what box it was in, but then remembered one that I had for particular items/found it & the cell phone is now charging. So it won't matter that the new charger won't arrive until sometime between September 30-Oct 5.

On a different note - I'm now superstitious. It seemed that the Kindle not charging properly (and I had to order a new one) & the cell phone charger dying seemed to occur after I moved here/would plug them in one of the kitchen outlets. I know, electricity is electricity, but I'm not going to use those outlets anymore & will just plug them in to recharge on the same surge protector I've got the laptop, printer & phone plugged into.

Cheers.
Most modern kitchen outlets are on GFCI circuits (Ground Fault Circuit Interrupter). If the GFCI module was tripped, nothing plugged into any of those outlets would work. Have you checked those outlets to see if they work OK with other electrical devices?
Old Sep 25, 2015, 11:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by Dodge DeBoulet
Most modern kitchen outlets are on GFCI circuits (Ground Fault Circuit Interrupter). If the GFCI module was tripped, nothing plugged into any of those outlets would work. Have you checked those outlets to see if they work OK with other electrical devices?
If there are no GFCI modules, then maybe that circuit is experiencing power surges?

SkiAdcock, this may sound a bit weird, but sniff the broken chargers. Do they smell burnt in any way?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.