Wiki Posts
Search

Need help asap! Laptop problem - Murphy's Law

Search this Thread

Old Sep 5, 2015, 7:28 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
It just gets better a d better - not. I've been depending on kindle fire for access. Down to 5%. I've been trying to 're charge it and nada. It's not outlets.maybe charger cable got damaged?

I've got charger in and it looks like there's a little plus sign on the battery charger icon. Although I thought in past it was more an arrow. Can someone google for me? I'll try McDonald's tomorrow to see of laptop still accesses. Otherwise I'm really screwed with no access until Tuesday

The best buy guy today when I stopped by said it's atypical android connection so for 20-30 I can get something from them. I'd rather get the charger d on Amazon, but screw it. Worth the extra 20 bucks if it works.

Is there something else on the device that could be causing the problem?

I hate Murphy's law.
Old Sep 5, 2015, 7:49 pm
Original Member

Location: The shape-shifting urban sprawl that is El Lay. FT member #71.
Programs: UA Gold & MM; DL & AA credit card dirt status; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Fool's Gold
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
I hate Murphy's law.
Reminds me of the well-know corollary to Murphy's law:

"Murphy was an optimist"
Old Sep 5, 2015, 8:26 pm
Original Poster

Oh just freeking kill me now. I'm writing this w/my last 2 %. It's not the charger, but the kindle fire no longer can take a charge/dead have to order anew one
hichofcoursexwillxnotget delivered intoxicated the holidays. So another expense in addition to laptop.and I. That was autocorrect

Between dealing with the move

,trying to deal w/ tradeshow,laptop problem and now the kindle I'm a he end of my wits/ jus feel like crying' oh yeah problems with charter too.

This has been a nightmare week
Old Sep 6, 2015, 4:09 pm
Original Poster

Wow - auto correct really was a bit wild last night

My summation that between the move, trying to unpack 200 boxes (one of which is missing), get office up & running (discovered this morning that the home office doesn't have electricity, so a call to the landlord on Tuesday am), juggling writing press releases, journalist calls, client calls on dif time zones, this freeking laptop & trying to troubleshoot w/ everyone's help, the Kindle no longer accepting a charge, the 90 degree weather, the trying to unpack, the Charter problem, etc, that this truly has been the week from hades & that Murphy was indeed an optimist.

I'm still amazed that the only place that I can access the internet w/ this freeking laptop is at the local McD's 8 miles away, but at least it works thank goodness. I was holding my breath! Am sending out some press releases right now before anything else goes wrong, and will email the Australia & France clients I'm limited until Tuesday (all of this is not being helped by the fact that the trade show starts Thursday & they still have to get some of the drafts of the releases to me - hello? You didn't know you were developing products & couldn't get me the info before now? Geesh). Oh well, if they send them tonight I can turn them around tomorrow morning when they'll be flying to Europe.

I'm still feeling a bit overwhelmed but not quite as bad as last night when I was going into meltdown mode. (Of course the overwhelmed will come back when the new laptop arrives & I have no idea how to get everything loaded/transferred over).

Cheers.
Old Sep 6, 2015, 4:12 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DenverBrian
It's only $100 difference. The main thing is to get a solid state drive instead of an old style disk drive - this will make things much faster for you, and if you're only buying laptops every decade, you need to be as future-proof as you can.

What suite are you using now? I'm still on Office 2010 and am quite happy with it. Office 2013 is more Windows 8/10 centric. I don't recommend Office 365 at this time.
The BestBuy guy showed me the dif btwn SSID & old style disk drive yest on start-up so am thinking of going w/ the laptop you provided the link for (and it helps that I have an Amazon store card). I'm on the Office suite from when I got Vista - so think Office 7.

Originally Posted by robroy90

A. She doesn't strike me as the type who will be swapping components.
That would be 100% accurate and/or the understatement of the year.

Cheers.
Old Sep 6, 2015, 5:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
The BestBuy guy showed me the dif btwn SSID & old style disk drive yest on start-up so am thinking of going w/ the laptop you provided the link for (and it helps that I have an Amazon store card). I'm on the Office suite from when I got Vista - so think Office 7.
Um, no such thing as "Office 7." Go to Word, click on Help/About and see what it says. Word XP? Word 2003? That's my best guess for you.
Old Sep 6, 2015, 5:30 pm
Original Poster

Well it says Microsoft Office Word 2007 & Microsoft Office Excel 2007, so I assumed that's what it was.

Cheers.
Old Sep 6, 2015, 9:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Well it says Microsoft Office Word 2007 & Microsoft Office Excel 2007, so I assumed that's what it was.

Cheers.
Ahhh...Office '07, quite possibly the worst of the lot. (Sorry, I didn't make the connection with "Office 7.")

You will want Office 2010. It'll be just like Office 2007, only better.

Do you use Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook, or only the first three?
Old Sep 7, 2015, 6:08 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

The BestBuy guy showed me the dif btwn SSID & old style disk drive yest on start-up
Not sure if it was mentioned, but an SSD will also have higher reliability than a traditional spinning platter drive, as well as being significantly faster. Many businesses now use these exclusively for this reliability reason. I would encourage you to do the same for any critical system like this.

Personally, I'm a huge fan of the Dell XPS 13s. Reasonable build quality, and reasonable price for what you're getting.
Old Sep 7, 2015, 8:14 am
Original Poster

You will want Office 2010. It'll be just like Office 2007, only better.

Do you use Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook, or only the first three?
Just the first 3.

Originally Posted by aschuett
Not sure if it was mentioned, but an SSD will also have higher reliability than a traditional spinning platter drive, as well as being significantly faster.
After this past week reliability would be good!

Cheers.
Old Sep 7, 2015, 8:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Just the first 3.
Then Office 2010 Home & Student would work for you:

Amazon Amazon

As little as $80 from other download sources, but if you Google shop any of these, run their names through www.resellerratings.com to get an idea if they're worth using.
Old Sep 7, 2015, 9:07 am
Original Poster

Then Office 2010 Home & Student would work for you:

http://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-Offi...0+home+student

As little as $80 from other download sources, but if you Google shop any of these, run their names through www.resellerratings.com to get an idea if they're worth using.
Thanks. I'll probably just order it through Amazon so if there are problems I have an easier chance of getting them resolved and/or refunded.

Cheers.
Old Sep 7, 2015, 12:39 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
And then I'd recommend downloading the excellent Ubit menu plug-in
http://www.ubit.ch/software/ubitmenu-languages/
so that you can get rid of the execrable 2010 interface and revert back to the non-bloated/non-ribbony 2003 interface.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/231996/ubitmenu.html
Old Sep 7, 2015, 3:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cblaisd
And then I'd recommend downloading the excellent Ubit menu plug-in
http://www.ubit.ch/software/ubitmenu-languages/
so that you can get rid of the execrable 2010 interface and revert back to the non-bloated/non-ribbony 2003 interface.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/231996/ubitmenu.html
Except that she was already on Office '07, with the REALLY execrable ribbony interface, and Office 2010 is actually an improvement on that.

(This is a user who needs no additional complication in her life, so let's not geek out on her with plugins and such. )
Old Sep 8, 2015, 9:20 am
Original Poster

(This is a user who needs no additional complication in her life, so let's not geek out on her with plugins and such. )
Ain't that the truth. Going to order the laptop in a few minutes.

Since Office 10 is a download after you purchase it, I'm guessing I should wait until I receive the laptop to order/download it?

Also occurred to me this morning that my inkjet printer, which I bought at the same time as the Vista laptop, probably doesn't have a driver for Windows 7. Need to find the manual and/or google the model to check. It would be nice if it did just so I don't have to buy a new printer too. The current one works fine.

Cheers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.