Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Need help asap! Laptop problem - Murphy's Law

Search this Thread

Old Sep 9, 2015, 8:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by aschuett
The choice of Office 2010 is not one that I would recommend making - essentially running 5 year old software for business purposes.
I'm using Office 2007 for my business, and there's absolutely nothing that newer Office versions offer that would improve my business. All the newer versions do is provide more revenue to Microsoft.

JMO.
Old Sep 9, 2015, 9:06 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
D8mn it. I had just written a long reply & got caught up in McD's knocking you off/have to re-sign in to continue accessing i-net just as I clicked post reply, so of course it didn't post.

While I'd prefer to go w/ Amazon because possible less fingerpointing & I have an Amazon store card, I'll probably go w/ Office 2010 because from what has been posted it's similar to Office 2007 which I'm familiar with. The first link above shows it $20 more than what Amazon is charging for 2013, so will look at the second link.

If at some point I get wild & crazy & tech savvy in the future (ha!), I can always upgrade the operating system & Office. But at DenverBrian notes, technology isn't my thing & I have a tendency to hold onto stuff forever, as evidenced by my current Vista laptop & Nokia E71 cell phone.

The laptop is due to arrive Friday afternoon where the fun (not) begins, in terms of installing software, transfer files, etc. I'm thinking of trying to find a computer tech or taking everything to the Geek Squad, because if there's a way to screw something up I'll probably do it. Remember, when I got the Vista laptop a FTer was in LA at the time & did everything for me. Anyone fancy a quick trip to Michigan?

For some reason Carbonite thinks it's not connected to the internet & isn't backing up. Normally there's a button that says try again. This time just message that says not connected. Since I'm typing this, Windows weekly update is happening in the background, as is Eset I am obviously connected to the internet. When I leave McD's I'll shut everything down completely & restarting & see if that helps.

The Kindle Fire DSX arrives this afternoon, so after I get that charged I'll be able to access the i-net at home tonight. Not great for massive work stuff, but at least I'll have some access again.

I'll be very thankful when I get past all this & am not driving 16 miles RT 2x/day just to access i-net at the library & McD's. And can get back to being more productive w/ work, trade show stuff, etc. The timing of all of this sucks big time.

Cheers.
Old Sep 9, 2015, 12:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Sharon, where in MI? It just so happens I'll be in the Detroit area this weekend...

On Carbonite: Another good reason to buy a flash drive of the capacity of your data on the computer. Copy all your data to the flash drive. When the new computer gets here, copy all the data on the flash drive to the new computer. Just in case Carbonite isn't working properly.
Old Sep 9, 2015, 12:24 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DenverBrian
Sharon, where in MI? It just so happens I'll be in the Detroit area this weekend...

On Carbonite: Another good reason to buy a flash drive of the capacity of your data on the computer. Copy all your data to the flash drive. When the new computer gets here, copy all the data on the flash drive to the new computer. Just in case Carbonite isn't working properly.
Well if you fancy a drive to the other side of the state I'm 2-1/2 hours away

Ok, will check into the flash drive. Must have been a blip on Carbonite, as it connected/backed up by the time I left.

Windows has a big update, but I decided not to download it today as the McDonald's speed according to speedtest is only 1.29mbps & I figured it would take a while. If I get the Kindle today I can bring it w/ me to McD's yest & work off of that while the Windows download happens.

Cheers.
Old Sep 9, 2015, 1:04 pm
Original Poster

Evidently the library updated its Word to 2013 in the last few days. Went to open a file & it was what the heck. Luckily the ribbon is the same. But a few other things were confusing, especially since I'm accessing it via a I-net terminal & not just my laptop.

At the same time I keep getting messages on the I-net terminal that Java and Silverlight are out of date. The Silverlight one was a bit of a pain as it was interfering w/ a website I was visiting/needed to update something.
Old Sep 10, 2015, 9:34 am
Original Poster

The new Kindle Fire DSX (think that's it; I've lost track of what everything is called now) arrived last night. Of course since my Kindle Fire HD was 3 years old, stuff is displaying differently/things I was used to aren't the same, including email. But I can muddle through I guess.

The new laptop is due to arrive tomorrow afternoon. I contacted a computer tech who specializes in residential computer things who was recommended to me by someone I respect to install software/transfer data for me. His website said weekend hours by appt (otherwise 9-5 M-F). I was hoping he was available this weekend, but no such luck. So he's picking everything up Monday morning (does the work at his place) & I'll get it back Tuesday. Sigh - 4 more days of the library/McD's.

Well at least I have the Kindle for quick emails in evening & mornings.

Cheers.
Old Sep 10, 2015, 3:27 pm
Original Poster

Hmm, new laptop is supposed to arrive tomorrow by 8pm but is still 'in processing' & hasn't shipped. If it doesn't arrive tomorrow that will just be the cherry on the cake in terms of Murphy's Law.

On a dif note. Thoughts re: this keyboard for the Kindle Fire HDX?

Amazon Amazon

Cheers.
Old Sep 11, 2015, 2:46 pm
Original Poster

So the new laptop is due to arrive this eve by 8pm. We'll see. I need it by Monday morning because that's when the computer tech guy is picking it up to install software/data transfer. It's weird. It went from TN to IL & is now on its way to me via UPS. They must be driving from IL. Normally UPS flies into the state capitol where I live, they drive to the depot about 40 miles from me & it goes out on the truck.

But the replacement/new Kindle that arrived Wed aft, I tried watching instant video on last night including Amazon Studios content. Nope; won't play. Get unknown_error code. Talk to Kindle tech support. They have me do some things that don't work (probably should have elevated it to a dif tier of support), and the guy since it has 364 days of warranty left, to return it & they'll send another one. So I now have to return 2 Kindle Fires & the 3rd one is now arriving tomorrow.

BTW - I liked my older Kindle Fire. The new one is too tablet oriented/stuff totally different (including email). Sometimes being tablet friendly is a step back.
Old Sep 12, 2015, 8:31 am
Original Poster

UPS didn't deliver laptop. Amazon support was great, but they're frustrated too. It was in Illinois depot in morning but didn't leave until last night. Supposedly went to depot 45 miles from me and I could pick up in a 3-hour window today, which I wasn't happy about driving 90 miles to get it but was willing to do. Except we found out that it's not in that depot and won't arrive until later today or Monday morning. It's now scheduled to be delivered by 2.30pm Monday. I've now paid for it to be delivered btwn 10:30-12:30 Monday and have a call into the tech guy to see if he can still help. Pissed off at UPS.
Old Sep 12, 2015, 8:49 am

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
UPS didn't deliver laptop. Amazon support was great, but they're frustrated too. It was in Illinois depot in morning but didn't leave until last night. Supposedly went to depot 45 miles from me and I could pick up in a 3-hour window today, which I wasn't happy about driving 90 miles to get it but was willing to do. Except we found out that it's not in that depot and won't arrive until later today or Monday morning. It's now scheduled to be delivered by 2.30pm Monday. I've now paid for it to be delivered btwn 10:30-12:30 Monday and have a call into the tech guy to see if he can still help. Pissed off at UPS.
I hope Amazon gave you at least a month or two extension on your Prime membership. I'd consider asking them to credit the fee you paid to UPS for the revised delivery window, too.
Old Sep 12, 2015, 10:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Truly sucks. I'm saddened to see how much Murphy's Law is magnetizing to you.
Old Sep 12, 2015, 1:35 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Dodge DeBoulet
I hope Amazon gave you at least a month or two extension on your Prime membership. I'd consider asking them to credit the fee you paid to UPS for the revised delivery window, too.
The Amazon gal I talked to last night has been great. I wish she'd give me her direct line. She's going to credit my account for the fee I had to pay to UPS, she's extending my Prime membership, and she's going to talk to her supervisor Monday about giving me a credit to use for future purchases. She talked to UPS twice last night - AND - even though today is her day off, she got up early to talk to them again & called me at 7am her time (10am my time) to give me an update. I hope they send me one of those surveys saying how was the agent because she'd get a 15 on a scale of 1 to 10.

Originally Posted by DenverBrian
Truly sucks. I'm saddened to see how much Murphy's Law is magnetizing to you.
Truthfully I'm stunned & very stressed by how many times Murphy's Law has hit.

Cheers.
Old Sep 14, 2015, 10:39 am
Original Poster

Good news is the laptop finally arrived. Computer tech due this afternoon.

Bad is now the cell phone is not charging properly.

I hate Murphy's Law!
Old Sep 14, 2015, 11:29 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Working on a tablet with a keyboard, but without a mouse, is awkward. Amazon did make a Bluetooth keyboard for the 8.9" HDX tablet with a built-in touchpad, but I no longer see it listed. You can use most any Bluetooth mouse, but it's another item to carry, charge, or lose.
Old Sep 14, 2015, 1:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Good news is the laptop finally arrived. Computer tech due this afternoon.

Bad is now the cell phone is not charging properly.

I hate Murphy's Law!
Do let us know how awesomely gooey sweet that new laptop is when you get it in your hands.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.