Wiki Posts
Search

Need help asap! Laptop problem - Murphy's Law

Search this Thread

Old Sep 8, 2015, 9:27 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Ain't that the truth. Going to order the laptop in a few minutes.

Since Office 10 is a download after you purchase it, I'm guessing I should wait until I receive the laptop to order/download it?

Also occurred to me this morning that my inkjet printer, which I bought at the same time as the Vista laptop, probably doesn't have a driver for Windows 7. Need to find the manual and/or google the model to check. It would be nice if it did just so I don't have to buy a new printer too. The current one works fine.

Cheers.
Good luck with the printer.

I just spent the last two hours I am going to spend trying to get my printer working. I have a 6-month old laptop with Win 8.1 (worse than Vista). For no apparent reason, my printer stopped working. I have uninstalled and reinstalled several times now - no luck. Some 8.1 update trashed things. I need to update to Win 10, but I've been putting it off until it's been out a bit longer. Now I'm trying to decide if it's worth it to upgrade first, then hope that somehow I can get my printer working again.

Microsoft lists my printer as compatible with Win 8 and 10, but it can't find the drivers and it won't accept the product install.
Old Sep 8, 2015, 9:45 am
Original Poster

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by DenverBrian
If you do need a DVD drive, something like this would be strong enough to last you perhaps another ten years:

http://www.amazon.com/Lenovo-ThinkPa...cm_wl_huc_item
Just noticed this only has one USB port, which presumably my printer would go in. So what do I do re: a mouse? I'm a mouse gal (ok, that didn't come out right but you know what I mean). Any recommendations for that so I order both at the same time?

chollie, hopefully I won't have the printer issues you're having.

Cheers.
Old Sep 8, 2015, 9:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Just noticed this only has one USB port, which presumably my printer would go in. So what do I do re: a mouse? I'm a mouse gal (ok, that didn't come out right but you know what I mean). Any recommendations for that so I order both at the same time?

Cheers.
It has one USB 2.0 port...plus two USB 3.0 ports. So three USB ports. Remain calm.

And the great thing about USB ports is that you can add to 'em. Something like this if you end up with a USB keyboard, USB printer, USB camera cord, USB rocket ship, USB toaster...

Amazon Amazon
Old Sep 8, 2015, 9:55 am

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO

Cheers.
I could tell you it's time to go wireless, but...I'm still tethered myself. My Win7 laptop crashed hard at the end of last year. I needed an instant replacement. It never occurred to me to check how many USB ports when I got this new laptop.

It won't be pretty, but you can get a USB Hub that works just like an outlet adaptor.

I have vowed that once I get Win10 installed and a (probably new) printer online, I am going to at least get a wireless mouse.

Remind me I said that six months from now.
Old Sep 8, 2015, 10:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Ain't that the truth. Going to order the laptop in a few minutes.

Since Office 10 is a download after you purchase it, I'm guessing I should wait until I receive the laptop to order/download it?
Since you're ordering the download on Amazon, it'll go into your software folder there and be available to download any time you wish. Get your new laptop, then download it from there.

Also occurred to me this morning that my inkjet printer, which I bought at the same time as the Vista laptop, probably doesn't have a driver for Windows 7. Need to find the manual and/or google the model to check. It would be nice if it did just so I don't have to buy a new printer too. The current one works fine.
A printer that works with Vista will almost certainly work with Windows 7.
Old Sep 8, 2015, 10:28 am
Original Poster

It has one USB 2.0 port...plus two USB 3.0 ports. So three USB ports. Remain calm.

And the great thing about USB ports is that you can add to 'em. Something like this if you end up with a USB keyboard, USB printer, USB camera cord, USB rocket ship, USB toaster...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ilpage_o02_s00
Thanks. I just saw the 1 USB port. Am calming down...

Originally Posted by chollie

It won't be pretty, but you can get a USB Hub that works just like an outlet adaptor.

I have vowed that once I get Win10 installed and a (probably new) printer online, I am going to at least get a wireless mouse.

Remind me I said that six months from now.
Don't think I'll need the hub now, but good to know. Will do a reminder for the 6 months

Since you're ordering the download on Amazon, it'll go into your software folder there and be available to download any time you wish. Get your new laptop, then download it from there.

A printer that works with Vista will almost certainly work with Windows 7.
Good to know on both!

Cheers.
Old Sep 8, 2015, 10:44 am
Original Poster

Then Office 2010 Home & Student would work for you:

http://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-Offi...0+home+student
That link is actually for Office 2013, not 2010?

Cheers.
Old Sep 8, 2015, 10:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Anyway, besides all this will need input for what I need in New laptop. Things to keep in mind are that I'm not techie, have a tendency to keep tech stuff forever, use basic things like word/excel/PowerPoint, Skype, occasional streaming, solitaire, eset for anti virus, carbonate for back up, Adobe reader, etc. No video gaming.
Assuming you've ordered your spiffy laptop, you'll likely have a few days to prep for the new beast. Here are my suggestions:

1. Ensure your data is all backed up on Carbonite.

2. While not entirely necessary, if you do have a USB flash drive handy and if it's big enough, copy all your data from the old laptop to the USB flash drive. This gives you one more backup just in case you run into problems establishing Carbonite on your new laptop. (If you run into problems, you can then just copy everything from the flash drive over to your new laptop.)

3. You should go online on your old laptop now and find the most recent download of ESET and download the EXE file onto a flash drive.

4. When you get your new laptop, start it up and let it do its initial setup and updates (you'll be protected online by Microsoft's own anti-virus at first, but don't launch any web browsers until later).

5. Now run the ESET setup file from the flash drive to get your anti-virus set up.

6. Now that your most critical program is in place and running...you can start using a web browser to run Carbonite, download Office 10, and download Skype and any other miscellaneous programs you use.

7. Weeks from now, after everything is spiffy to the max, decide if you're going to sell or junk the old laptop. If you decide to sell, make sure you restore to original setup (if you can) and WIPE (not just delete) all your data using a wipe program like Eraser or CCleaner. If you decide to junk, then delete and wipe your files, then physically remove the hard drive and drill 3-5 holes right through it.
Old Sep 8, 2015, 11:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

That link is actually for Office 2013, not 2010?

Cheers.
Oops - and it looks like the window for Office 2010 is closing. You can either go "all the way" and get Office 2013 (which will have more of a Windows 8/10 look and feel, but the ribbon is still pretty much what you're used to in Office '07)...or download Office 2010 from another site.

If you need to see what Office 2013 looks like, here's a good screenshot link:
http://www.groovypost.com/reviews/mi...reenshot-tour/

If you want to download Office 2010, I've used BuyCheapSoftware in the past and trust them: http://www.buycheapsoftware.com/deta...uctID~5351.asp

I think this site looks legitimate - some are not, so do some Google research first. It's cheaper than the BuyCheapSoftware price:

http://www.softwareking.com/microsof...dent-1-install

Here's a site showing screen shots of Office 2010:

http://winsupersite.com/office/offic...hots-word-2010
Old Sep 8, 2015, 11:19 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Note that Office 2016 will be out in a couple of weeks. So, you might want to hold off buying.
Old Sep 8, 2015, 2:15 pm
Original Poster

Oops - and it looks like the window for Office 2010 is closing. You can either go "all the way" and get Office 2013 (which will have more of a Windows 8/10 look and feel, but the ribbon is still pretty much what you're used to in Office '07)...or download Office 2010 from another site.

If you need to see what Office 2013 looks like, here's a good screenshot link:
http://www.groovypost.com/reviews/mi...reenshot-tour/

If you want to download Office 2010, I've used BuyCheapSoftware in the past and trust them: http://www.buycheapsoftware.com/deta...uctID~5351.asp

I think this site looks legitimate - some are not, so do some Google research first. It's cheaper than the BuyCheapSoftware price:

http://www.softwareking.com/microsof...dent-1-install

Here's a site showing screen shots of Office 2010:

http://winsupersite.com/office/offic...hots-word-2010
Thoughts on going all the way w/ Office 2013 vs. ordering Office 2010? Since the software is download I've got a day to sort that out & will check this thread in the morning. I need to order the laptop in the next few minutes to get it delivered by Thursday & I have to also meet Charter in 45 minutes to figure out what's wrong w/ the guide on the telly.

Originally Posted by DYKWIA
Note that Office 2016 will be out in a couple of weeks. So, you might want to hold off buying.
Not an option at this point. My current laptop is on its very, very last legs & not connecting to the internet (other than at a local McDonald's). The new laptop will arrive Thursday.

Cheers.
Old Sep 8, 2015, 3:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thoughts on going all the way w/ Office 2013 vs. ordering Office 2010? Since the software is download I've got a day to sort that out & will check this thread in the morning. I need to order the laptop in the next few minutes to get it delivered by Thursday & I have to also meet Charter in 45 minutes to figure out what's wrong w/ the guide on the telly.
Cheers.
If it were me, I'd go with Office 2010. It avoids the whole Windows 8/10 Metro interface look and Office 2013 won't be giving you (especially you, you tech novice you!) any new worthwhile features. Plus, it's cheaper.

The only reason you (especially you, you tech novice you!) would go ahead with Office 2013 is because it's available on Amazon. If the idea of downloading Office 2010 from anyone other than Amazon gives you the heebie jeebies, then get Office 2013 from Amazon.
Old Sep 8, 2015, 7:20 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Thoughts on going all the way w/ Office 2013 vs. ordering Office 2010?
Originally Posted by DYKWIA
I'm not sure on this one, but sometimes if you order software right before a more recent release, they will upgrade you to the later version for free. IMHO, even without that, you would be a fool to get an outdated (2010) version of Office, especially with file format/version differences. And that's coming from a person that really dislikes the sheer white user interface of Office 2013.
Old Sep 8, 2015, 9:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by aschuett
I'm not sure on this one, but sometimes if you order software right before a more recent release, they will upgrade you to the later version for free. IMHO, even without that, you would be a fool to get an outdated (2010) version of Office, especially with file format/version differences. And that's coming from a person that really dislikes the sheer white user interface of Office 2013.
Um, there are no file format/version differences from Office 2010 to 2013. Files are in .docx, .xlsx, and .pptx just as they have been since Office '07 - and if you prefer, you can still save and share in .doc, .xls and .ppt if you wish.

My post #72 stands. Aschuett, you're not understanding the OP - someone who is not at all the kind of constant upgrader/needer of the latest that most of us are.
Old Sep 9, 2015, 6:03 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Aschuett, you're not understanding the OP - someone who is not at all the kind of constant upgrader/needer of the latest that most of us are.
My apologies for having a differing opinion, but my position still stands. Otherwise Murphy's "law" may really just be "Murphy's Self-Fulfilling Prophecy." I'm simply offering my opinion. In the end, it's up to the OP to take the information and make a decision. Isn't that what FT is all about?

Um, there are no file format/version differences from Office 2010 to 2013.
While you're right, the .*x formats (.xlsx, etc.) formats did not change, there were additional formats added in 2013 (i.e. odf), allowing compatibility with other software. You were right to assume I thought there were differences in the Office XML formats, though, so maybe this point is invalid for this case.

Originally Posted by aschuett
you would be a fool to get an outdated (2010) version of Office
Let me be very clear here - this was not saying that anyone in specific is a fool/stupid/whatever. I probably could have worded that better. My apologies if this was taken in any negative way. The choice of Office 2010 is not one that I would recommend making - essentially running 5 year old software for business purposes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.