Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Google Fi: Anyone care to post their experience?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 3, 2017, 5:37 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Zorak
Which countries are supported?

https://support.google.com/fi/answer...intl_countries

Note that in some locations Hangouts (and Gmail) are not available (e.g., China, Russia, Thailand, South Korea, Mexico, Argentina, and more: see link below for full list of excluded countries), so you will need a VPN to access them (or to make VOIP calls via Hangouts Dialer)

https://support.google.com/hangouts/answer/3205646

Exceptions:

Listed, but no/spotty service:
  • Ukraine (Aug 2018) - no service, all providers listed as "forbidden". Post #660
  • Alaska (Jul 2018) -- had voice service, but inconsistent/spotty data (try forcing Sprint)
  • Peru (Sep 2016) post 341, 360
  • Grand Cayman Island (Jan 2018) post 547

Not listed, *did* have service
  • Belize (Jan 2018) post 547 Belize now appears on the "supported" international list
If you are having trouble connecting, level 1 Fi reps recommend you try the following steps before they will escalate. Try each step in the order listed below to see if it fixes your issue - if not, move on to next step.

1- Reboot phone
2- Toggle "airplane mode" on/off. Wait five seconds after toggling off (it resets phone modem).
3- Try manually connecting to each available network (rather than using the auto select feature).
4- Toggle down from 4g to 3g (removing the recommended 4g option) and then try manually connecting to each available network.
5- Toggle down from 3g to 2g and then try manually connecting to each available network.
Print Wikipost

Google Fi: Anyone care to post their experience?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 23, 2018, 12:36 pm

Originally Posted by LordHamster
Moot point for me. Use hangouts messaging and your texts show up on all your devices.
I finally convinced my wife we should move our old home number of 20+ years to Google to save the $$$ for the occasional important call. Now she likes the number ringing in the Hangouts app and receiving the text & email transcriptions.

To move a landline number to Google requires moving the line to a mobile company and then Google. I purchased a $10 T Mobile prepay package and had the line to Google within 2 days. Google charges a one time fee of $20 for the port in.
Old Aug 24, 2018, 2:03 am

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by tmiw
Got an email saying that Fi will no longer forward texts after September 12th. Calls will still be forwarded, though, so I'm not sure what they gain from this move.
What does this mean? One can still receive texts, correct?
Old Aug 24, 2018, 9:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by TravelinSperry
What does this mean? One can still receive texts, correct?
This just affects forwarding of texts off of Fi onto a phone from another carrier. Texts will still come in on Fi devices.
TravelinSperry likes this.
Old Sep 4, 2018, 12:30 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
I have been having quite the difficulties with Fi. Some countries work seamlessly. And it's quite lovely when that occurs. But some don't and require much back and forth with escalated Fi personnel.

For those that have issues connecting, here are steps try (in order):

1- Reboot phone
2- Toggle "airplane mode" on/off. Wait five seconds after toggling off (it resets phone modem).
3- Try manually connecting to each available network.
4- Try manually connecting to each available network, but toggle down from 4g to 3g.
5- Try manually connecting to each available network, but toggle down from 3g to 2g.

If none of the above steps work - you will need to contact Google Fi and escalate. You can tell them you did all the steps above (these are the steps the lower level people will require you to try before escalating).

In my case, two countries still wouldn't connect after completing steps 1-5 above (Kazakhstan & Ukraine) but one did (Bulgaria) via step 4.

Google Fi reps needed to contact the local providers in Ukraine to get service working and needed to modify back office settings for Fi to get service working in Kazakhstan. While I am still a fan of Fi - some of these less traveled countries still have issues.
Old Sep 4, 2018, 4:05 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by TravelinSperry
[...]
Countries where calling in Hangouts and Gmail is not available https://support.google.com/hangouts/...id&hl=en&oco=1
Argentina
[...]
Just returned from the FlyerTalk Cow DO in Buenos Aires -- similar to past reports, could not use Hangouts Dialer to make phone calls over wifi unless I used a VPN. Had great/fast signal otherwise.

I've added the link that TravelinSperry mentioned to the wiki.
Old Sep 16, 2018, 12:12 am

Programs: LT Plt, 4mm, *A GLD, burned out medical provider, executing our estate plan
As previously posted Fi worked great in Krakow. Also rural southern Poland (Zakopane) and into Northern Slovakia just over the border. You will ping Slovakia towers while still in Poland just like all borders. I did have to restart the phone a couple of times but did not require more than that. Mrs. Boerne has the same service and did not have to restart her phone as much as I did, so it might be the individual phone. Also can report good coverage in the Shetlands, Orkneys, and rural Norway.
Old Sep 18, 2018, 2:38 pm

Fi superfast in Corsica. Slow in Sardegna (but not absurdly slow like in X'ian China).
Old Nov 27, 2018, 7:53 pm

Programs: UA-GS 1MM), Hertz Pres Circle, Starriott Titanium)
Interesting Fi news. Rumor has it over on /r/ProjectFi that Fi will soon be supporting non-google phones like iPhones and Samsung’s officially.

I had been using Fi on my iPhone unoffficaly for ages and putting up with some Minor annoyances which I hope this official support will rectify.

Meanwhile this will be quite the dilemma since I literally just switched my line to T-Mobiles global plus unlimited plan.

If fi officially supports iPhones I might port both my wife and I back to Fi.
Old Nov 28, 2018, 3:20 am

Programs: UA Platinum, Avis Chairman, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, GA Pilot
Interesting Fi news. Rumor has it over on /r/ProjectFi that Fi will soon be supporting non-google phones like iPhones and Samsung’s officially.

I had been using Fi on my iPhone unoffficaly for ages and putting up with some Minor annoyances which I hope this official support will rectify.

Meanwhile this will be quite the dilemma since I literally just switched my line to T-Mobiles global plus unlimited plan.

If fi officially supports iPhones I might port both my wife and I back to Fi.
That would be good news indeed as I have wanted for quite some time to move off my Pixel 1 to an iPhone but with the latest iPhone prices being as insane as they are I may just stick with my Pixel for another year.
Old Nov 28, 2018, 6:48 am

Originally Posted by NYTA
That would be good news indeed as I have wanted for quite some time to move off my Pixel 1 to an iPhone but with the latest iPhone prices being as insane as they are I may just stick with my Pixel for another year.
The main attraction to me as a frequent international traveler is the unthrottled full speed LTE at a reasonable price $10/GB. With the price protection, FI comes out to no more than $80/ month for Global unthrottled LTE coverage which with my usage may as well be unlimited, as I rarely go over 10-12GB at most ever.

I started my project FI journey with the Nexus 6P. Loved it so much, I kept using FI when I got my Pixel the year it came out. Eventually, I stuck my FI sim into my iPhone X when I migrated back to the iPhone world last year. Since then... I got the iPhone XS Max... and had a brilliant idea.

I was going to move back to T-Mobile (thus getting support of: visual voicemail, fully working imessage, wifi calling, apple watch support etc), then move the service to the esim slot once the feature was enabled with iOS 12.1. I would then take my project FI "Data only sims" and put one in my phone, and one in my wife's phone. Unfortunately this plan hasn't materialized as esim is no yet supported by T-Mo.

Since porting my primary number back to T-Mobile, three things have happened that have me wondering what to do.
  • iOS 12.1 came out, but no carriers in the US are supporting e-sim yet (foiled that plan :/)
  • T-Mo announced Global Plus unlimited (which I jumped on)... they subsequently replaced the plan with a 15GB limited version.
  • Fi may shortly be available native on iPhones.
Yoshi212 likes this.
Old Nov 28, 2018, 9:54 am

Well, it is official! Project FI now supports non-Google phones, including iPhone!!

https://www.blog.google/products/pro...droid-and-ios/

(Sorry for the double post, but this news is too important to loose)
estnet likes this.
Old Nov 28, 2018, 9:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Well, it is official! Project FI now supports non-Google phones, including iPhone!!

https://www.blog.google/products/pro...droid-and-ios/

(Sorry for the double post, but this news is too important to loose)
Clicking around with their compatibility tool it looks like Fi may be T-Mobile only on the iPhone ("X" for network switching/"Even more security and network reliability"). Still, Fi's plan is pretty nice so it's probably worth the downside.
Old Nov 28, 2018, 10:22 am

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
There is a Pixel 3 promo for Travel Gift cards up to the cost of the phone currently. Just getting into reading the details but it's today 28-Nov only.
https://fi.google.com/about/device-promo-terms/
Old Nov 28, 2018, 10:35 am

Originally Posted by tmiw
Clicking around with their compatibility tool it looks like Fi may be T-Mobile only on the iPhone ("X" for network switching/"Even more security and network reliability"). Still, Fi's plan is pretty nice so it's probably worth the downside.
Yeah, unless you jump through hoops, the iPhone (at least my iPhone 8) only works on T-Mobile in the US with a Fi sim. Depending on where you are, that could be good, or could be bad (where I live, it's basically nonexistent).

That said, I still have a Fi account with several SIMs, I just suspend it when I'm in the US and activate it when I travel (I do about 6 international trips a year). Nice to have a reasonably priced option that works right out of the gate without my having to hunt down a SIM.
Old Nov 28, 2018, 10:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Originally Posted by Yoshi212
There is a Pixel 3 promo for Travel Gift cards up to the cost of the phone currently. Just getting into reading the details but it's today 28-Nov only.
https://fi.google.com/about/device-promo-terms/
Valid on other phones as well, if the Pixel 3 isn't your choice. Seems like a heck of a deal.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.