Search this Thread

Old Sep 18, 2015, 6:39 pm

Originally Posted by superangrypenguin
Yes.
Nooooooooooooo!

You will lose control of your computer.
Old Sep 18, 2015, 7:13 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by glob99
Nooooooooooooo!

What a ridiculous comment.
Old Sep 18, 2015, 10:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
Originally Posted by glob99
Nooooooooooooo!

No more so than with any other modern, commercial OS.
Old Sep 19, 2015, 8:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pseudoswede
So, hey, I have this desktop computer with Windows 7 on it. Should I upgrade to Windows 10?
Yes.
OK, I'll bite. Why? Full disclosure: I've read the PC Mag "10 Reasons to Upgrade to Windows 10," and since I don't own a Windows phone, touch Windows tablet or use my computer for gaming, there appears to be absolutely nothing there for me. And for other business users, I'd say the answer would be largely the same.
Old Sep 19, 2015, 8:38 am
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by MaxBuck
OK, I'll bite. Why? Full disclosure: I've read the PC Mag "10 Reasons to Upgrade to Windows 10," and since I don't own a Windows phone, touch Windows tablet or use my computer for gaming, there appears to be absolutely nothing there for me. And for other business users, I'd say the answer would be largely the same.
Please read upthread. This has been rehashed so many times.
Old Sep 19, 2015, 11:13 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Please read upthread. This has been rehashed so many times.

There is no compelling reason to upgrade to W10. W7 will be supported for a good few years. Loads of companies have only recently moved from XP to W7, so any new software/drivers will still need to be backwards compatible.

If people are happy with W7, then stick with it.

I upgraded, and I'm quite happy that I did. Although, I'm still using Start8 to replicate the W7 start button
Old Sep 19, 2015, 12:42 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by DYKWIA

There is no compelling reason to upgrade to W10. W7 will be supported for a good few years. Loads of companies have only recently moved from XP to W7, so any new software/drivers will still need to be backwards compatible.

I upgraded, and I'm quite happy that I did. Although, I'm still using Start8 to replicate the W7 start button
There may be no compelling reason for you, but there are plenty of reasons why someone may benefit from going to 10. And that was hashed upthread.
Old Sep 19, 2015, 12:57 pm

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards. Tha... that's about it.
Originally Posted by DYKWIA

My compelling reason was unification.

I am tech support for my entire family, and while we have a number of different hardware platforms, it's a lot easier for me to troubleshoot, especially by phone, if we're all on the same OS, with the same versions of our common software.
Old Sep 19, 2015, 1:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MaxBuck
Not applicable to upgrading, unless you have a very recent machine (e.g. a PC from the last year with Thunderbolt) or are in the habit of upgrading a desktop piece-by-piece, but the biggest reason is better support for new hardware, and support for newer hardware going forward.

The second biggest reason if you're on Windows 8 or 8.1 is that it's basically smoothed out the rough edges of those operating systems, and essentially every down side remaining is already true for either of those.

For folks on Windows 7 on older hardware and happy with it, there's no really compelling short-term reason to upgrade. There's a lot of nice incremental improvement, and a bunch of stuff that works just enough differently to make a power-user unhappy to have to re-learn things. OTOH, in the long term this is where Windows is going, and you can bite the bullet now or bite the bullet later.

For someone who doesn't have much invested in already understanding older version of Windows, I think they're likely to find it easier to use.

Lay-person incremental improvements:
1) Search feature works better.
2) The new "File history" snapshot + backup feature is really, really great, especially compared to having to use two different things for that.
3) For new users, the ribbon-ified explorer is probably easier to use. With 17+ years of muscle memory between Windows 95 and getting a Windows 8.1
4) New file copy and "there's a file with the same name" dialogs are much better.
5) It's more secure. Setting up multiple user logins is easier. If you're willing to trust Microsoft, the user-settings sync is nice. If you're willing to trust Microsoft, the OneDrive integration is nice.
Quite a few etc. None of these especially compelling, but for a free upgrade and a chance to catch up to the present day, nice enough.
Old Sep 19, 2015, 2:17 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by nkedel
for a free upgrade and a chance to catch up to the present day, nice enough.
Bolded. THIS! It's free for now, and it won't be after another 11 months or whatever it is.
Old Sep 19, 2015, 2:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Bolded. THIS! It's free for now, and it won't be after another 11 months or whatever it is.
Unless it gets extended.
Old Sep 19, 2015, 2:47 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by nkedel
Unless it gets extended.
I wouldn't bank on it...the CFO already indicated in the last financial analyst briefing that it wont happen....

But who knows?
Old Sep 19, 2015, 2:50 pm

The biggest reason to upgrade is that Dell stopped updating drivers for my XPS12, so the video crash would crash occasionally. Now it doesn't (though sometimes the return from hibernation doesn't work with WP10).
Oh, and if you have touchscreen, WP10 is better
Old Sep 19, 2015, 2:57 pm

Display scaling.
Old Sep 19, 2015, 4:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I wouldn't bank on it...the CFO already indicated in the last financial analyst briefing that it wont happen....

But who knows?
Corporations change strategies? Never happens.

For that matter, interesting to see the number of conspiracy theories out there that the "last version of Windows" part is not about Windows keeping the Windows 10 branding, but because Microsoft is going to introduce a new OS with non-Windows branding.

Which seems like Quikster-level idiocy, but who knows?

Originally Posted by s0ssos
(though sometimes the return from hibernation doesn't work with WP10).
I avoid hibernation. With machines with a lot of memory, and SSDs, it's way too expensive a waste of space.

Oh, and if you have touchscreen, WP10 is better
Hugely so compared to 7; moderately so compared to 8/8.1, especially in how one transitions between uses.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.