Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Free Windows 10 upgrade

Search this Thread

Old Sep 14, 2015, 1:51 pm
Flyertalk Evangelist and Moderator: Coupon Connection and Travel Products

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite, Hyatt Discoverist, Radisson Elite
I am finding my entire system is slow now... after the upgrade.

Using Edge or Chrome or even IE.
Old Sep 14, 2015, 1:55 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Hey my upgrading to W7 is starting to look like a good idea

Cheers.
Old Sep 14, 2015, 3:36 pm

I have finally upgraded all the PCs in my household and things have greatly improved since I upgraded my laptop (oddly the fastest and newest CPU in my house, a Thinkpad X240) in late July.

My Wife was reluctant to allow me to upgrade her Thinkpad X61t (Intel Core2 Duo) but it is running smoothly and my Wife is really happy with Win10 and the Netflix App built right in.

The upgrade actually fixed the wireless on our other Computer a Thinkpad X220 which would randomly decide to not connect to our or any wireless network. My Wife was convinced the computer actually didn't like her as it would seem to not connect to our wireless network more when she used it than when I used it, I can now say it was something with Win7 and the Intel Driver, huzzah. I now feel like Super Husband!

Anyway, it feels that since the last cumulative upgrade things have really smoothed out.
Old Sep 14, 2015, 4:06 pm

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards. Tha... that's about it.
Originally Posted by wharvey
I am finding my entire system is slow now... after the upgrade.

Using Edge or Chrome or even IE.
Well, to be fair, Edge, Chrome, and IE are not your "entire system", they're just your web browser. Your choice of browser will not affect your entire system's speed, it will only affect the speed of your web browsing.
Old Sep 15, 2015, 1:18 pm
Flyertalk Evangelist and Moderator: Coupon Connection and Travel Products

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite, Hyatt Discoverist, Radisson Elite
OK... point taken...!

But, ever since I downloaded Windows 10, browsing has slowed down dramatically... no matter which browser I use!

Originally Posted by WillCAD
Well, to be fair, Edge, Chrome, and IE are not your "entire system", they're just your web browser. Your choice of browser will not affect your entire system's speed, it will only affect the speed of your web browsing.
Old Sep 15, 2015, 1:26 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by wharvey
OK... point taken...!

But, ever since I downloaded Windows 10, browsing has slowed down dramatically... no matter which browser I use!
Did you actually do a throughput check from before and after? Otherwise, there's a million other factors that could be at play. The OS change is something that's very very low on the list of things that could cause this.
Old Sep 15, 2015, 2:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So here's my question - why does anyone want this "new operating system?" What actual benefits does it provide?
Old Sep 15, 2015, 2:41 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by MaxBuck
So here's my question - why does anyone want this "new operating system?" What actual benefits does it provide?
Improved performance. Cortana integration (gosh I do love her). A much better UI, much better wrt dealing with touch devices. Because it's FREE for the first year. Also, you can't hold onto 7 forever, it goes end of life in 5 years. If you wait 2 years, you'll have to pay for Windows 10.

My fingers hurt now, so i'll stop typing!
Old Sep 15, 2015, 2:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
It's better than Windows 8, period.

I still like my Windows 7, so I haven't upgraded (yet).
Old Sep 15, 2015, 3:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
Compared to 7:
(Many of these also apply to 8/8.1)
Better support for newer hardware, primarily.
  • Windows 7 support for HiDPI screens is painful.
  • Windows 7 has no native support for Thunderbolt.
  • Windows 7 has very limited native support for USB 3.0 and doesn't support the newer features of 3.1
  • Windows 7 has only very clunky support for touch, or rotation by accelerometer, or really anything of the features from the you'd want on a hybrid laptop/tablet.
  • Windows 7 has only very clunky support via 3rd party drivers for wireless WAN cards.
  • Windows 7 has only very clunky support via 3rd party drivers for NVMe SSDs
Also somewhat better security, faster boot times, and a somewhat lighter footprint (although you'll never notice, as pretty much every app you'd want to run just keeps getting more bloated)
* Much better built-in backup feature in "file history"
(On the down side, all the Microsoft-ecosystem stuff with privacy concerns, and a much less attractive chrome and somewhat less UI customization.)

Compared to 8/8.1:
* The UI doesn't suck (start menu is back, new settings screens are actually usable, modern apps in windows, idiot charms bar is gone)
* A lot of the rough edges have been smoothed out on support for new hardware, and in other software features.

It's really 8.2, but hey, I'll take it.
Old Sep 15, 2015, 3:47 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by superangrypenguin
Also, you can't hold onto 7 forever, it goes end of life in 5 years.
Since I just got 7 today, this means I can go another 5 years w/o changing

Cheers.
Old Sep 15, 2015, 4:29 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Since I just got 7 today, this means I can go another 5 years w/o changing

Cheers.
Yeah but then you'll have to pay in 5 years. It's a free upgrade now and who knows if MS will ever charge for it. No one knows yet on the consumer side.

If you wait 5 years...then, well, uhh, you'll have to pay that soulless company money, as opposed to grabbing it for free now. Seems like a no brainer to me...
Old Sep 15, 2015, 4:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Yeah but then you'll have to pay in 5 years. It's a free upgrade now and who knows if MS will ever charge for it. No one knows yet on the consumer side.

If you wait 5 years...then, well, uhh, you'll have to pay that soulless company money, as opposed to grabbing it for free now. Seems like a no brainer to me...
Um, if she waits 5 years (and in her case, with the gooey sweet machine she just bought, 7-10 years!), most likely she'll be buying a whole new machine, which will come with Windows 10-dot-whatever pre-loaded. Included in the price of the machine. @:-)
Old Sep 15, 2015, 4:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)

You can also:
- back up 7
- upgrade
- back up 10
- restore the backup of 7

Free upgrade then held, for future need.
Old Sep 15, 2015, 4:48 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by DenverBrian
Um, if she waits 5 years (and in her case, with the gooey sweet machine she just bought, 7-10 years!), most likely she'll be buying a whole new machine, which will come with Windows 10-dot-whatever pre-loaded. Included in the price of the machine. @:-)
Ah I missed that she finally got a new machine. Congrats Sharon!

Originally Posted by nkedel
You can also:
- back up 7
- upgrade
- back up 10
- restore the backup of 7

Free upgrade then held, for future need.
Can you imagine the # of updates she'll need when/if she goes to 10?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.