Wiki Posts
Search

Free Windows 10 upgrade

Search this Thread

Old Sep 28, 2015, 7:56 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Yeah I disabled Cortana.

I don't want to use Bing and I don't want it to try and anticipate what I want.
Old Sep 28, 2015, 8:04 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by wco81
Yeah I disabled Cortana.

I don't want to use Bing and I don't want it to try and anticipate what I want.
Cortana has saved my butt now about 4 times or so? I fly a lot, and that saved my bacon. Oh well, to each their own.
Old Sep 28, 2015, 10:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
Originally Posted by superangrypenguin
Cortana has saved my butt now about 4 times or so? I fly a lot, and that saved my bacon. Oh well, to each their own.
How so? And what email do you primarily use for your airline stuff -- Cortana reading your work account via Outlook?
Old Sep 29, 2015, 10:06 am
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by nkedel
How so? And what email do you primarily use for your airline stuff -- Cortana reading your work account via Outlook?
Correct. Cortana tracks all of my flights, and has let me know a few things.

1) Flight delays
2) Traffic delays
3) *here's one that floors me, which I did not think it was possible, but it linked #1 and #2 to advise me when I should head out the door.
Old Sep 29, 2015, 10:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]

1) Flight delays
2) Traffic delays
3) *here's one that floors me, which I did not think it was possible, but it linked #1 and #2 to advise me when I should head out the door.
Ah. So Cortana's your mom.
Old Sep 29, 2015, 11:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

1) Flight delays
2) Traffic delays
Potentially very handy; Google Now has the same functionality, if you send all your flight informational emails into Gmail.

I find it useful, although Tripit is enough better at it that I paid for one year of Tripit Pro when I ceased to have access to it through my prior employer.
Old Sep 29, 2015, 12:22 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by DenverBrian
Ah. So Cortana's your mom.
I guess you could refer to it as that. Although I prefer thinking Cortana is my gf....
Old Sep 29, 2015, 1:43 pm

Programs: SE100K (Star Gold)
Cortana has been a lifesaver for me too. However, I lack objectivity as I work for Microsoft. Interesting thread. It got me to signup for FT as I am/was a lurker.
Old Sep 29, 2015, 9:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

One of Windows 10's more questionable features lets Microsoft use your machine as a torrent-like file sharer for updates. The default setting allows it to share updates on your machine with anyone on the internet. In other words, Microsoft is taking the update download burden off itself and, instead using your bandwidth. It can be changed to limit update sharing to your local network, or turned off completely. I can see some limited utility to sharing downloads on your local network, but absolutely none to the "entire internet" setting -- Microsoft simply has shifted costs associated with distributing updates from itself to its customers. I suspect it is also a matter of time until someone writes malware that will hijack this capability to steal data or create mass malware infections.

As for Microsoft collecting information, when I use Facebook or shop on Amazon or post on FlyerTalk there is a quid pro quo for the information that is collected by the site owners: I get the benefit offered by the site and, if I don't like the tradeoff, I can simply not visit it. Windows is an operating system -- I can't run my computer without it (I'll leave off discussion of Linux and other alternatives for the moment). What Microsoft is doing is no different than if the oil companies collected data on where you drive every time you filled up at the pump.

And, of course, what is particularly unacceptable is that the spyware is the default setting -- it is "opt out," not "opt in," and, in opting out requires chasing down a number of arcane settings buried several screens deeps in non-intuitive places.
Old Sep 30, 2015, 1:12 pm

Originally Posted by PTravel
What Microsoft is doing is no different than if the oil companies collected data on where you drive every time you filled up at the pump.

And, of course, what is particularly unacceptable is that the spyware is the default setting -- it is "opt out," not "opt in," and, in opting out requires chasing down a number of arcane settings buried several screens deeps in non-intuitive places.
To the first bit, they do. For the second bit, a screen pops up. Yes, it's up to a user to disable it, but I do not agree that it's buried several screens deep. Also, one can hit the start button and type in the word privacy.
Old Sep 30, 2015, 7:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by above.the.clouds
To the first bit, they do. For the second bit, a screen pops up. Yes, it's up to a user to disable it, but I do not agree that it's buried several screens deep. Also, one can hit the start button and type in the word privacy.
I tried typing "privacy" on the start menu and it just does a web search.

Also, I'm not sure what you mean by, "a screen pops up." For example, to disable Microsoft from stealing your bandwidth to deliver updates from your machine to strangers on the internet, you have to follow this sequence:

Start --> Settings --> Update and Security --> Windows Update --> Advanced Options --> Choose How Updates are Delivered --> OFF (or "PCs on my local network")

The default is "PCs on my local network, and PCs on the internet."

That's six screens to get to a slide switch and/or radio button.

For privacy settings, it's Start --> Settings --> Privacy at which point your confronted with 13 different horizontal tabs, each of which has multiple settings for various privacy settings. The default for all of them is to allow sharing of privacy information, which includes account information, location, contacts and other sensitive information, with Microsoft and with third-party apps.

This is simply unacceptable. I'm a relatively sophisticated computer user, but it took me several days to go through each and every one of these settings. And, of course, NONE of this is disclosed during Windows 10 installation and some of it I found out only by accident while surfing internet articles about Win10.
Old Sep 30, 2015, 7:59 pm

I tried typing "privacy" on the start menu and it just does a web search.

Also, I'm not sure what you mean by, "a screen pops up." For example, to disable Microsoft from stealing your bandwidth to deliver updates from your machine to strangers on the internet, you have to follow this sequence:

Start --> Settings --> Update and Security --> Windows Update --> Advanced Options --> Choose How Updates are Delivered --> OFF (or "PCs on my local network")

The default is "PCs on my local network, and PCs on the internet."

That's six screens to get to a slide switch and/or radio button.

For privacy settings, it's Start --> Settings --> Privacy at which point your confronted with 13 different horizontal tabs, each of which has multiple settings for various privacy settings. The default for all of them is to allow sharing of privacy information, which includes account information, location, contacts and other sensitive information, with Microsoft and with third-party apps.

This is simply unacceptable. I'm a relatively sophisticated computer user, but it took me several days to go through each and every one of these settings. And, of course, NONE of this is disclosed during Windows 10 installation and some of it I found out only by accident while surfing internet articles about Win10.
Huh?

Old Sep 30, 2015, 9:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by above.the.clouds
Huh?

This is interesting. I get this on my machine at home, but not on my office laptop.

And what's a "privacy badger"?
Old Oct 1, 2015, 12:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
This is interesting. I get this on my machine at home, but not on my office laptop.

Welcome back
Old Oct 1, 2015, 1:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Possibly the best browser plugin ever.
https://www.eff.org/privacybadger

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.