Reload this Page >

KnowRoaming SIM sticker

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

KnowRoaming SIM sticker

Search this Thread

Old Nov 17, 2014, 9:52 pm

Got it and installed easily. Can't wait to try it in a few weeks.
Old Nov 18, 2014, 11:39 am

Programs: UA 1MM 0P, AA, DL, *wood, Lifetime FPC Plat., IHG, HHD
yeah, I got the discount coupon too, for 20$ shipped to me, i'll give it a try. Especially with the 15$ free activation credit. Probably NOT the best deal when staying many days, weeks in one country, but being able to roam as they say country to country and get local access numbers and easily predictable calling OUT, makes sense.
Old Nov 18, 2014, 12:52 pm
Moderator, Hertz; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1MM, BA GGL, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond and others
Originally Posted by nmenaker
yeah, I got the discount coupon too, for 20$ shipped to me, i'll give it a try. Especially with the 15$ free activation credit. Probably NOT the best deal when staying many days, weeks in one country, but being able to roam as they say country to country and get local access numbers and easily predictable calling OUT, makes sense.
What intrigues me is the at home long distance. Out here in PL it would be 0.03$/min to call the USA. That's about the same price as skype to go which has been horrible lately. And if I can get USA number to ring to that phone for cheap, that would be perfect.
I use Ooma at home, but lately with lots of travel around the country, I usually have lots of downtime in the car.

EDIT: Saw it only works in the UK (for Europe)
Old Nov 18, 2014, 2:23 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus
Originally Posted by jason8612
What intrigues me is the at home long distance. Out here in PL it would be 0.03$/min to call the USA. That's about the same price as skype to go which has been horrible lately. And if I can get USA number to ring to that phone for cheap, that would be perfect.
I use Ooma at home, but lately with lots of travel around the country, I usually have lots of downtime in the car.

EDIT: Saw it only works in the UK (for Europe)
Toggle works in Poland at Ł0.03/min with a UK SIM or €0.03/min with a Dutch SIM. (The USA is unfortunately not a Toggle country with Dutch SIM, but you can still call the US.) If you get a UK Toggle SIM you can register a US phone number and keep it for Ł5/year.

Forgive me if you've already posted about Toggle, but I wonder if you've tried it.
Old Nov 18, 2014, 2:25 pm
Moderator, Hertz; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1MM, BA GGL, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond and others
Originally Posted by ajGoes
Toggle works in Poland at Ł0.03/min with a UK SIM or €0.03/min with a Dutch SIM. (The USA is unfortunately not a Toggle country with Dutch SIM, but you can still call the US.) Forgive me if you've already posted about Toggle, but I wonder if you've tried it.
Yup, that's what I've been using. I got a Toggle USA local number and Toggle PL local number. I got it in my spare phone which I leave in the car and I just do a google voice callback to the toggle usa number. It then costs me $0/min
I was also using the callback option when I was in the UK and will be doing so when I will be visiting Norway and Switzerland in the upcoming weeks.
Old Jan 14, 2015, 3:38 pm

Recently used KR on our 15 day trip around Europe. It was pretty awesome. A few errors here and there but saved us over $240 vs. roaming on ATT (Used over 2.3GBs of data). $7.99 for 24 of unlimited data is pretty awesome. You can find cheaper for local SIMs, but going across multiple countries its easier to not to have to stop and find local ones. KR has good instructions on how to use it. Worked in Austria, Poland, Czech, Hungary, Germany and Switzerland. Had another phone on AT&T and KR used mostly the same networks with the same speeds.

I got hit with a $10 AT&T charge for the 400kbs of data my phone pulled down before KR kicked in. What a scam.

Posted more details in my blog (in my signature) if you are interested in the full review.
Old Jan 17, 2015, 1:50 pm

Programs: DL DM
I actually had a horrible experience with KR.
back in December 2014, I am with AT&T and I ordered a set from KR, installed it prior to my trip to Europe.

The initial experience was ok, upon arrival, the SIM card seem worked, switched to uk carrier, but very slow, and app is buggy, keep flash quite ,KN actually kept directing me to instal some carrier profile on my iPhone 6 Plus, and I did couple times, ever since I did that, my phone started to act weird. Internet is very slow and congested constantly. On my last night in Uk, it finally killed my iPhone, my iPhone kept restarting and became red screened and never came back again. I had to restore the entire phone completely and remove the sticker.

I still had 6 days in other countries so I decided to sign up for AT&T passport services. Pricy but at least the LTE was super fast and consistent. I asked for partial refund for knowroamin and not intend to try it again.
Old Jan 18, 2015, 6:37 pm

Can you switch off KR and go with carrier roaming or is it completely blocked?
Old Jan 23, 2015, 12:27 am

Originally Posted by Dubai Stu
Can you switch off KR and go with carrier roaming or is it completely blocked?
You can manually go into the iPhone SIM application settings and turn it off.
Old Jan 23, 2015, 12:29 am

Originally Posted by WinSea
I actually had a horrible experience with KR.
back in December 2014, I am with AT&T and I ordered a set from KR, installed it prior to my trip to Europe.

The initial experience was ok, upon arrival, the SIM card seem worked, switched to uk carrier, but very slow, and app is buggy, keep flash quite ,KN actually kept directing me to instal some carrier profile on my iPhone 6 Plus, and I did couple times, ever since I did that, my phone started to act weird. Internet is very slow and congested constantly. On my last night in Uk, it finally killed my iPhone, my iPhone kept restarting and became red screened and never came back again. I had to restore the entire phone completely and remove the sticker.

I still had 6 days in other countries so I decided to sign up for AT&T passport services. Pricy but at least the LTE was super fast and consistent. I asked for partial refund for knowroamin and not intend to try it again.
Yeah I have a friend who has been having lots of issues with them. I just used it in Mexico with few problems so I am guess I am lucky, however it was super slow there.

The whole install a config profile thing is not well done. Its not easy to do and for a non-technical user is super confusing. To make it worse KR keeps claiming that when you return home you just press the button again and it deletes the profile - not true - it just asks you to install it again.

They have also now moved to a model where you buy credits in $25 increments and use that to purchase the $7.99/day of unlimited data. Wish you got the option to choose.
Old Jan 23, 2015, 12:03 pm

Originally Posted by olouie
Yeah I have a friend who has been having lots of issues with them. I just used it in Mexico with few problems so I am guess I am lucky, however it was super slow there.

The whole install a config profile thing is not well done. Its not easy to do and for a non-technical user is super confusing. To make it worse KR keeps claiming that when you return home you just press the button again and it deletes the profile - not true - it just asks you to install it again.

They have also now moved to a model where you buy credits in $25 increments and use that to purchase the $7.99/day of unlimited data. Wish you got the option to choose.

It looks like the service and technology is not quite there yet and they still have a long way to go.
Old Jan 23, 2015, 12:51 pm

It looks like the service and technology is not quite there yet and they still have a long way to go.
It sounds like they have a relatively short way to go, but the last mile can often be very important in any delivery system. And the 2014 noble effort award in roaming SIMs goes to....
Old Jan 23, 2015, 1:04 pm

It sounds like they have a relatively short way to go, but the last mile can often be very important in any delivery system. And the 2014 noble effort award in roaming SIMs goes to....
Giving that tmobile offers free global roaming now, I might just get a temp card from T-Mobile next time.
Old Jan 23, 2015, 1:54 pm

Giving that tmobile offers free global roaming now, I might just get a temp card from T-Mobile next time.
I have the Harbor Mobile TMobile tablet SIM for $18- month which gives me the data and the text, but not voice. It will work in a phone as a data device. 5 gigs of data a month over LTE and tethering is allowed.
Old Jan 27, 2015, 5:18 pm

Programs: DL Kettle| HH Pot
I have the Harbor Mobile TMobile tablet SIM for $18- month which gives me the data and the text, but not voice. It will work in a phone as a data device. 5 gigs of data a month over LTE and tethering is allowed.
Does this work international?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.