Community
Wiki Posts
Search

KnowRoaming SIM sticker

Search this Thread

Old Oct 11, 2013, 8:50 am

Programs: UA MileagePlus
Originally Posted by boerne
Slightly OT but how is toggle with data through multiple countries in the EU? (I have been thru the threads here and elsewhere)
I only used it in France and the UK. Their reps emphasize that their rates may change, but currently it's £0.15/MB in Toggle countries outside the UK. This month, you get 3 GB of data in the UK with any top-up. Naturally I used data very carefully in France. It worked fine for the RATP bus-routing app and a few Google Maps queries. I spent US$0.70 per day on data in Paris.
Old Oct 11, 2013, 12:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by joshwex90
Pretty sure I may switch to T-Mobile after their recent announcement. Does anyone know if their phones come unlocked by default?
Originally Posted by Platcomike
I am a long time customer and they always get me the sim unlock code in a few days, if not overnight.
I usually request it a month after I have purchased a new phone, and I've never had an issue. Then again, I'm also a long-time customer.
Old Oct 12, 2013, 8:46 am

Programs: BA GGL; AA LT Gold; AS 100K; DL MM GM; Hyatt G*list, Hilton Diamond; SQ silver
Originally Posted by joshwex90
Pretty sure I may switch to T-Mobile after their recent announcement. Does anyone know if their phones come unlocked by default?
Things may have changed since they do not subsidize phones anymore.
My understanding is that if you buy the phone without financing, it should come unlocked.
However if you buy a phone with them with financing, I believe they will require you to wait 40 days after activation before unlocking a phone. After that, you can make a request, and then they will email you a code. It may take a few additional days to receive it.
Old Oct 12, 2013, 9:43 am

Unfortunalty, no good on the data rate, which is the major fight for roaming. Charging 0,15$ / MB when you get 1$/Go with a local provider, say in Cambodia, isn't going to make me use this.
Old Dec 8, 2013, 7:01 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA, Hilton Gold
Got an email the other day, first batch of stickers should be shipping out this coming week (hopefully). They had a delay due to applicator production.
Old Dec 8, 2013, 10:45 pm

This strikes me as a gimmick with little or no benefit over standard roaming SIMs.

What does the "sticker" do that a roaming SIM would not do?
Old Dec 8, 2013, 10:50 pm

Originally Posted by Dubai Stu
If I have a US number on my Toggle (plus a UK one) will I get free incoming cas on my US number while visiting the UK?
I was recently in the Netherlands and France. I did in fact get free incoming calls on my US Toggle number. Kind of incongruous, as there is no surcharge on incoming calls in the US to subsidize the connection to the phone in Europe.

However, it was a crappy connection and folks at the US end had difficulty in hearing me, which they did not have when calling me on a normal European SIM. Also, it would take something like 30 seconds between when they would finish dialing and the phone rang, so you need to warn people to wait out the silence.
Old Dec 9, 2013, 3:45 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by BigFlyer
This strikes me as a gimmick with little or no benefit over standard roaming SIMs.

What does the "sticker" do that a roaming SIM would not do?
Lets you use your mobile number abroad, so people can still call you on it with much lower charges. It will also give you a local number as well.
Old Dec 9, 2013, 1:47 pm

Originally Posted by PainCorp
Lets you use your mobile number abroad, so people can still call you on it with much lower charges. It will also give you a local number as well.
I don't believe that anything you stick onto a SIM would technologically enable you to receive calls on your own number abroad. I believe whether or not you can forward calls is controlled by the equipment at your cell phone provider's switch. Id your carrier allows call forwarding, then you can forward calls if you are using a standard roaming SIM, assuming your carrier supports it (most do, some MVNOs and Tmobile prepaid I believe do not.)

Various roaming SIMs can also give you a local number.
Old Dec 9, 2013, 8:58 pm

Closer Look at The Product Page

I just took a closer look at the product page.

It appears to me that the "sticker" is actually an odd shaped SIM card, which will take over for your normal SIM card when you are out of your home country. The only advantage I see over a normal roaming SIM is that you don't have to do the SIM swap, once you put in the "sticker" it will switch automatically (or perhaps there is a software switch you will need to throw using their app.) The rates for outgoing calls look reasonable (although it says prices subject to change so who knows what the prices will be 6 months after they start operation assuming they ever start operation). As pointed out elsewhere in this thread, the incoming call rates are not published.

Also, as I said earlier, I am reasonably certain that the ability to pick up incoming calls on one's home cell number will be implemented using the home carrier's procedures for turning on call forwarding, which will likely be to an in country number because most cell carriers do not allow international call forwarding.
Old Dec 10, 2013, 5:07 am
Suspended

I just took a closer look at the product page.

It appears to me that the "sticker" is actually an odd shaped SIM card, which will take over for your normal SIM card when you are out of your home country. The only advantage I see over a normal roaming SIM is that you don't have to do the SIM swap, once you put in the "sticker" it will switch automatically (or perhaps there is a software switch you will need to throw using their app.) The rates for outgoing calls look reasonable (although it says prices subject to change so who knows what the prices will be 6 months after they start operation assuming they ever start operation). As pointed out elsewhere in this thread, the incoming call rates are not published.

Also, as I said earlier, I am reasonably certain that the ability to pick up incoming calls on one's home cell number will be implemented using the home carrier's procedures for turning on call forwarding, which will likely be to an in country number because most cell carriers do not allow international call forwarding.
When talking to people I compare it to those devices that used to be used to "unlock" the original iphone. But your analysis seems correct. Incoming call rates are at the far right of their rate line.

From what I've seen, you are correct about call forwarding, you forward your phone to a KnowRoaming assigned number before leaving, and they forward that way, but it's still better than nothing.

Their rates actually aren't bad, they beat the pants off of OneSimCard for one place I was looking at going, Honduras.
Old Dec 10, 2013, 9:43 am

most cell carriers do not allow international call forwarding.
Where did you get that idea from? I've been travelling internationally for many years and forwarding calls from different providers to other international numbers without any restrictions. It is no problem as long as your plan allows international calling.
Old Dec 17, 2013, 4:55 pm
Suspended

Just got this email:

Dear PainCorp,

Thank you for supporting KnowRoaming.

Since you purchased your sticker, the KnowRoaming team has been working day and night to improve and manufacture the KnowRoaming sticker. But as with any new technology focused on changing the way we communicate, we have experienced some bumps in the road and delays in production.

Unfortunately, this means that our shipping schedule for delivering you your KnowRoaming sticker has delayed. The first 500 stickers will be shipped in January 2014 by express mail to each of you.

As a thank you for your patience, we have added a $10 credit towards pre-paid services to your account. This credit will be loaded once you activate your account with KnowRoaming.

We understand that you may have been planning on using KnowRoaming abroad this holiday season, and we sincerely apologize for the inconvenience that this shipment delay may cause you. As soon as your order has been shipped, you will receive an email confirmation from KnowRoaming. If you have any questions about your order, please feel free to contact me directly: <redacted>.

As one of our very first backers, we thank you again for your support and your patience with us during this stage of our development. We “Know Roaming” and are doing everything we can to ensure you “Know Roaming” as soon as possible.
Old Dec 17, 2013, 5:10 pm

Originally Posted by lewinr
Where did you get that idea from? I've been travelling internationally for many years and forwarding calls from different providers to other international numbers without any restrictions. It is no problem as long as your plan allows international calling.
Here (Verizon):
http://support.verizonwireless.com/s...orwarding.html "Calls can’t be forwarded to international numbers"

And here (AT&T): http://www.att.com/esupport/article....id=-muT4LYv7k9 "Calls can't be forwarded to an International number"

And here (T-Mobile): http://support.t-mobile.com/docs/DOC-2706 "You cannot forward to international numbers"
Old Dec 17, 2013, 7:26 pm

I couldn't get my ATT to forward abroad (other than to Canada). I also think they block forwarding to 800 numbers but haven't checked that recently.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.