Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

e-cost or newegg? Opinions? Experiences?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26, 2013, 2:46 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz
Original Poster

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite

E-cost or newegg for a laptop order that HAS to reliably do 2-day ship?
Old Mar 26, 2013, 2:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Newegg and E-Cost are online retailers, not shipping companies - and if you NEED it in two days, shipping companies will be the determining factor.

Of those two, I'd say neither will be 100% reliable at GETTING it to UPS on time - Amazon would be better, and a retail store is the only safe bet for you.

That said, Newegg does offer Rush processing for a free, so they may be the safer of the two you brought up.
Old Mar 26, 2013, 7:02 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
I'm sure that both will do a very reliable two day shipping.

The issue is how long it takes them to get the order ready and shipped, something neither of them are all that good at.

It's not like they hide it. Ecost:

AT eCOST, WE STRIVE TO SHIP YOUR ORDER AS QUICKLY AS POSSIBLE. HOWEVER, BECAUSE OF INVENTORY, SHIPPING, AND MATTERS OUTSIDE OF OUR CONTROL, OUR STATEMENTS AS TO USUAL SHIPPING TIMES ARE NOT GUARANTEES OR PROMISES THAT A PRODUCT WILL SHIP ON A SPECIFIC DAY.

and newegg

Does the expedited shipping option (Next Day Air, 2nd Day Air, etc.) ensure my order will be shipped out the same day it is placed?
Not necessarily. All orders require 1-2 business days to process and ship, regardless of the shipping method. If your order is urgent, we offer two options: Rush Processing and Local Express...
Old Mar 26, 2013, 8:22 pm

Programs: It's Complicated...
I swear by Newegg. I never pay for their rush processing and the thing is always out that day. Sometimes I dont know how they do it. I never pay for next or second day shipping either. My most recent order, place and order on the 12th and 10.30PM Indianapolis time for a couple of hard drives and some memory. I received the items on the 16th and this was sent via Fedex Ground. This is actually pretty typical of my orders with them. I also get 1% on mrrebates account. ^
Old Mar 26, 2013, 9:12 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz
Original Poster

Thanks to all.

@Scott, checked Amazon first as that would have indeed been my first choice. They did not have the laptop needed except via non-Prime third party sellers; I explored a couple of those and there were no expedited shipping options from them.

Just did an online chat with the Newegg rep who said that the computer is boxed and will ship either tonight or tomorrow. So, hopefully she knew what she was talking about and that will indeed happen.

Mrs. cblaisd's laptop (an HP business model refurb for cheap which you put us onto her for her a year and a half ago, ScottC -- thank you again!) will not boot and that's not a good thing given some things going on this week for her.

It was more expensive than ordering direct from Lenovo, but Lenovo couldn't ship until April 5.
Old Mar 26, 2013, 9:25 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
HP sells business refruib models directly, but you have to call the order in. You can search on line for availability, and call. They ship the next day usually, and will tell you when it will go out.

I'm using one of their machines now, ground shipping got it to me in two days, and then another day to divert to the fedex store for pickup (they require a signature and didn't let me know that when I ordered).

http://h71016.www7.hp.com/html/hpremarketing/daily.asp

I would check there before even considering another reseller of their stuff. Lets hope newegg comes through for you.
Old Mar 27, 2013, 11:12 am

W/o a doubt: Newegg.. There's some shoprunner 6 month free membership deal out there that u can apply at newegg
Old Mar 27, 2013, 2:48 pm

Programs: QF Silver
Agree with speedy_j, if you can find a freebie Shoprunner account you can get NewEgg 2nd day delivery @ no cost. Whatever you do don't use 'EggSaver' -- that's where they give your package to DHL which supposedly delivers it to a nearby post office for USPS local delivery. I'm one county away from NE & EggSaver can take 4-7 business days to arrive.
Old Mar 27, 2013, 6:52 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cblaisd
...Just did an online chat with the Newegg rep who said that the computer is boxed and will ship either tonight or tomorrow. So, hopefully she knew what she was talking about and that will indeed happen.
Well, she didn't know what she was talking about

All day the UPS status showed "Label Prepared," even though the NewEgg status page said "Delivery By 3pm today"

Finally called and the customer "service" rep essentially said "Oops. We'll refund your shipping charge and it will be there two days from now." She also went on to say "We don't make any claims that one-day shipping will actually only take one day."

Amazing.
Old Mar 27, 2013, 8:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cblaisd
Well, she didn't know what she was talking about

All day the UPS status showed "Label Prepared," even though the NewEgg status page said "Delivery By 3pm today"

Finally called and the customer "service" rep essentially said "Oops. We'll refund your shipping charge and it will be there two days from now." She also went on to say "We don't make any claims that one-day shipping will actually only take one day."

Amazing.
Hate to say it, but I did warn you

Did you pay for rush processing?
Old Mar 27, 2013, 9:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OMNIArchist, OMNIArchy!, OMNIIDGAS
Newegg sometimes has huge orders of mine shipped 20 min after ordered. Amazing speed at that place.
Old Mar 27, 2013, 9:08 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ScottC
Hate to say it, but I did warn you

Did you pay for rush processing?
Yes, yes, you did.

And yes I did.

Interestingly, after I tweeted them about this, a few minutes later the UPS tracking changed to show delivery by 3pm tomorrow!

And the overnight shipping fee has been refunded.

Last edited by cblaisd; Mar 27, 2013 at 9:23 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.