Old Sep 6, 2015, 11:35 am
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
http://prepaid-data-sim-card.wikia.com/wiki/France
Old Sep 6, 2015, 12:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Like I said, just go straight to the Orange website. I wouldn't trust a Wiki since these offers are changing constantly. https://boutique.orange.fr/tablette-...ternet-prepaye

If you can't figure out the French, try google translate or load a transation extension on your browser.
Old Sep 6, 2015, 2:45 pm

http://boutique.orange.fr/mobile/rec...internetMobile

This isn't the link to the data only card, but it includes a 1 gig of smartphone data for 10 €.
Old Sep 11, 2015, 6:33 am

Originally Posted by stimpy
While the 4G coverage is excellent throughout the population centers of France, you won't find it out in the middle of nowhere. Which is where the inter-city trains pass. However some of the Paris metro lines now have 4G coverage, such as the RER A throughout central Paris. It works great.

I live here so I don't know about pre-paid options. I would just walk into an Orange shop and ask. Or poke around more on orange.fr
All the prepaid SIM and similar I've heard of are 3G. Does anyone know of a specific one that is 4G?
Old Sep 11, 2015, 8:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by Mountain Trader
All the prepaid SIM and similar I've heard of are 3G. Does anyone know of a specific one that is 4G?
Yes, click on the link I gave two posts above yours.
Old Sep 11, 2015, 9:55 am

Unlocked Mi-Fi in Paris?

Does anyone know where I can get an unlocked 4G Mi-Fi device in France (Paris)?
Old Oct 18, 2015, 5:00 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Hi,

I had a trip to Paris and Munich. My French language skill is very bad and I experienced a lengthy wait at an Orange Boutique on a prior visit several years ago. Therefore this time, I paid a premium and bought an Orange Holiday sim card from:
http://store.orange.com/us/

It cost $65.77 including shipping and included 1GB of data, 120 minutes of calling , both international and within France, and 120 text messages.
The sim was shipped from the US, arrived in 3 days and worked right away when I got to France.
I used it in my old Samsung Galaxy Note 2 which is carrier unlocked. I got 4G, not LTE which was fine as it was faster than my LTE service at home. I don't know if it would have received LTE if I had a different phone.

Access to Orange WiFi hot spots was included but I did not use that feature. There is an android app (all in French) or you can use your phone number and an access code which was sent via text. I guess it would be convenient if I had been somewhere that had service

I had minutes , texts and data left when I went to Germany so I turned on the phone and it worked. In fact, I never ran out and did not have to buy a German sim card. In Munich it roamed on O2, Telekom (T-Mobile) and E-Plus at various times and locations.

My best speedtest was on O2 in Munich near the Hbf.
http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/a/1512977461

15.53 down, 2.66up.

I got better upload speeds in France but "only" 10Mb/s download.

So overall I was satisfied with my purchase.

If I had not been at Marriott's with free WiFi and WiFi at my meetings, 1GB would not have been sufficient but it worked out fine. I never registered the sim card and got a few text messages that it will be deactivated on November 8 if I do not register it.

Last edited by u600213; Oct 18, 2015 at 10:18 pm
Old Oct 19, 2015, 11:55 am

I feel I should add to this thread...

We have a UK Three prepaid sim. We discovered that there are a number of countries in which you can use your Three sim for no added roaming costs (more here). We simply bought an 10GBP add-on for data, and we were in business.

Last edited by Buster; Oct 19, 2015 at 2:59 pm Reason: clarity
Old Oct 19, 2015, 12:20 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
£10 for unlimited data?

That must not be prepaid?

So you got unlimited data at full LTE speeds in France?
Old Oct 19, 2015, 2:59 pm

Originally Posted by wco81
£10 for unlimited data?

That must not be prepaid?

So you got unlimited data at full LTE speeds in France?
It is prepaid. It's a bit confusing, but you essentially have to top up your phone, and then log into your Three account to buy what they call an "add-on" for data. I should correct myself - it's not unlimited, but I've never actually bumped up against the limits. You can get 1GB for £10, 3GB for £15 or 7GB for £25.

Realistically, I don't use THAT much data when I'm abroad, especially if I'm staying somewhere with wifi, so 1GB for a week works just fine for me, and this is overall much, much easier than figuring out new sims and APN settings for different networks.
Old Oct 19, 2015, 3:09 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus
Originally Posted by Buster
It is prepaid. It's a bit confusing, but you essentially have to top up your phone, and then log into your Three account to buy what they call an "add-on" for data. I should correct myself - it's not unlimited, but I've never actually bumped up against the limits. You can get 1GB for £10, 3GB for £15 or 7GB for £25.

Realistically, I don't use THAT much data when I'm abroad, especially if I'm staying somewhere with wifi, so 1GB for a week works just fine for me, and this is overall much, much easier than figuring out new sims and APN settings for different networks.
Is that what they describe as a 30-day or one month SIM?

Is there a way to keep the number for a longer period without paying monthly fees?
Old Oct 19, 2015, 3:49 pm

Originally Posted by ajGoes
Is that what they describe as a 30-day or one month SIM?

Is there a way to keep the number for a longer period without paying monthly fees?
I don't pay a monthly fee. We go to the UK fairly often, so I don't have to worry about losing the number, but a lot of prepaid sims are kept alive if you use them once every 90 days or so. There's more info in the UK sim wiki on how 3 prepaid works.
Old Nov 3, 2015, 8:03 pm

Programs: AA PLT
Do most Orange boutiques carry pochettes Prêt-à-surfer these days? If so, would a high school girl without any French skills potentially be able to bring in a printout and buy one?
Old Nov 4, 2015, 11:06 pm

Thank you! very useful, only German is not included

where did you buy your 3 SIM, in 3 store? since link said: "If you're on Pay As You Go, all you need to do is convert your credit into an Add-On"can I just get a $0 prepaid plan and put $20 add on then get unlimited data? http://www.three.co.uk/Store/SIM/Pay_As_You_Go

Thanks!

Originally Posted by Buster
I don't pay a monthly fee. We go to the UK fairly often, so I don't have to worry about losing the number, but a lot of prepaid sims are kept alive if you use them once every 90 days or so. There's more info in the UK sim wiki on how 3 prepaid works.

Last edited by ecgz88; Nov 4, 2015 at 11:23 pm
Old Nov 5, 2015, 3:09 am

Last time I went to France I used a pocketwifi from the company named hippocketwifi and it worked perfectly fine.
They have some kind of unlimited offer and the price was pretty decent.
I ordered it on their website and I received it when I got to my airbnb.
It is a reliable option since I was in paris for a few days and didn't want to order a prepaid SIM card.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.