Reload this Page >

Prepaid SIM - France

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Prepaid SIM - France

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14, 2016, 6:08 am

Is there a store at CDG T2A arrival where I can get a SIM Card with data? I'd use mostly for maps, Uber, light browsing and WhatsApp for my 7 day trip in Paris.
Old Mar 31, 2017, 3:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, Marriott Tit
I have a Orange "Mobicarte Plus LS" contract which allows me to recharge my SIM card for a month's use and about 1GB of data for 20e each visit. If I recharge the card within 6 months, my phone # remains active. I've been doing this for 3 years.

The SIM card was a standard size, but had a "punch-out" to convert to a microSIM, which I did when I got a new phone. I now have a new (unlocked) phone which needs a nanoSIM.

Will an Orange boutique give me a new nanoSIM for my account? Free of charge? Would there be any problem if I had already recharged my account before I arrived in France?
Old Mar 31, 2017, 5:32 am

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
Originally Posted by SFOTerry
Will an Orange boutique give me a new nanoSIM for my account? Free of charge? Would there be any problem if I had already recharged my account before I arrived in France?
I'm not sure. I simply ordered a replacement sim card via the Orange web form and hence avoided paying any replacement fee. I don't know if that works for prepaid cards too.
Old Mar 31, 2017, 9:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WorldLux
I'm not sure. I simply ordered a replacement sim card via the Orange web form and hence avoided paying any replacement fee. I don't know if that works for prepaid cards too.
Thanks.

Anyways - if I am translating correctly, orange.fr tells me my card can't be converted to nano SIM. Maybe they can do it at a boutique. I think I will recharge it for the least amount possible (5e?), so I have service when I land. Then get a new card in person, if they can't replace it. I was trying to avoid getting a new phone #.
Old Mar 31, 2017, 9:40 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by SFOTerry
Thanks.

Anyways - if I am translating correctly, orange.fr tells me my card can't be converted to nano SIM. Maybe they can do it at a boutique. I think I will recharge it for the least amount possible (5e?), so I have service when I land. Then get a new card in person, if they can't replace it. I was trying to avoid getting a new phone #.
You can cut the SIM card to fit your new phone:
Or buy a SIM cutter for ~$8 (Amazon)
Old Mar 31, 2017, 10:03 am

Programs: UA Platinum, AF, Chase, Hyatt Explorist
Have you tried seeing whether it'll punch out or not by pressing on it with your finger? The SIM I bought two years ago was in a mini size that could be punched down to a micro size and then down to nano.
Old Mar 31, 2017, 11:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Usually they can easily handle this at a boutique. But I've only done this with post-paid. Orange boutiques in general have VERY qualified staff. I've always been pleasantly surprised by their level of experience and ability.
Old Apr 2, 2017, 7:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks for all the ideas. ^

Originally Posted by TWA884
You can cut the SIM card to fit your new phone:
Might be a little iffy to cut from micro to nano.

Originally Posted by char777
Have you tried seeing whether it'll punch out or not by pressing on it with your finger? The SIM I bought two years ago was in a mini size that could be punched down to a micro size and then down to nano.
I already punched out the micro from a standard. My SIM doesn't appear to be precut for nano.

Originally Posted by stimpy
Usually they can easily handle this at a boutique. But I've only done this with post-paid. Orange boutiques in general have VERY qualified staff. I've always been pleasantly surprised by their level of experience and ability.
That's my hope. I will just recharge for a week for 5 euros, then see if they can replace it. Otherwise I'll just start fresh with a new card/number.
Old May 28, 2017, 6:38 am

Roaming with Orange

Speaking of Orange, does anyone know whether roaming in the UK operates at LTE or HSPA+ speeds? I can't seem to find anything about this on their website.

Thanks for any info!
Old Sep 27, 2017, 12:56 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by broadwayboy
Is there a store at CDG T2A arrival where I can get a SIM Card with data? I'd use mostly for maps, Uber, light browsing and WhatsApp for my 7 day trip in Paris.
Anyone on this? Also, it seems the offerings are rather expensive (albeit with a lot of volume) - I'm looking for something for only a few days, so 1-2GB data is all I'd really need.
Old Sep 28, 2017, 5:49 pm

Yes, there is. I think I bought mine in a RELAY store.
Old Feb 2, 2018, 9:14 am

Programs: Krisflyer, Asia Miles, Miles and Bonus
Hi, can anyone clarify whether I can buy a lycamobile sim card at Orly Airport? If yes, is it available at the Relay store and what should I get for a stay of around 5 days in Paris? Also, does the lycamobile sim card allow me to turn the phone into a hotspot? Thanks.
Old Apr 26, 2018, 9:12 am

Programs: SkyMiles Silver/MM, HHonors Gold, MileagePlus/newbie, AAdvantage/novice
Did you ever get an answer? We're landing at CDG in May, would need to get a SIM card (to get the phone going, but mostly - to order Uber).

Please advise.
Old Apr 26, 2018, 1:12 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Originally Posted by MileJunkieIsHereAgain
Did you ever get an answer? We're landing at CDG in May, would need to get a SIM card (to get the phone going, but mostly - to order Uber).

Please advise.
I haven't shopped a SIM for France in years. I've never bought at the airport. In fact, compared to other airports, I don't ever recall seeing mobile carrier shops. Instead, I only recall seeing Relay stores but I don't know how much assistance the sales clerks give you in activating your SIM, since they're often busy selling other things like snacks and drinks, cigarettes, etc.

However, apparently you have to register to buy a SIM, so a photo ID of some kind. So maybe if they do sell SIMs, they'd have to take down your info. That may be a reason they don't sell SIMs.

France | Prepaid Data SIM Card Wiki | FANDOM powered by Wikia

In airports like AMS, I remember seeing Lebara or similar MVNOs but don't recall seeing anything similar at CDG. OF course CDG has been a mess for years so maybe if the construction is settled down, there are now mobile carriers there. You can search the Orange or SFR or any of the other carrier sites to see if they have stores at CDG, if you can read French.

I usually just waited until I got into town to buy the SIMs.

But that Wikia page shows there is one MVNO which will ship SIMs worldwide so that could be an option.

I once used this service for France once:

https://www.holidayphone.com/sim-car...rycoverage=159

They mailed to me in the US two SFR SIMs already activated so I saved a lot of time and I could use them as soon as I landed. But the price was under $20 IIRC. Since then they've really increased prices so I don't know if it's worth it.

You may be able to use airport Wifi to order Uber but then if you go out to the pickup zone (I don't know how CDG is set up for Uber), you may not have Wifi.

I have T-Mobile so I get low-speed roaming as soon as the wheels hit the ground so that is why I usually don't look around in airports for SIMs. My sense is that in many cases, the shops at the airport will charge you more.

You may also want to post a query to that Wiki site or maybe the TripAdvisor forum for Paris.
Old May 3, 2018, 9:23 am

Programs: SkyMiles Silver/MM, HHonors Gold, MileagePlus/newbie, AAdvantage/novice
Thank you for your reply.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.