Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Prepaid SIM - France

Search this Thread

Old Oct 13, 2014, 11:45 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by BigFlyer
If you go this route, make sure that you turn on Smart Passport before you leave Italy. It is not on by default. I find the easiest way to manage my Vodafone.it phone is to manage it online, you can create an online account and then turn rate plans and other features on or off. I think there is also a way to turn it on with dialing codes.

There is more than one place on the website to add funds. While I have had varying success, the most reliable method for using a US credit card seems to be using Paypal here: https://ricarica.vodafone.it/vftopup
I won't be in Italy.

I'll be USA --> France --> USA. Only need cell + data for France, though.

Set up a Vodafone account, but keep getting tech issues whenever I click on Smart Passport.

About to sit down and find the English language version of the IT site to get this thing squared away.
Old Oct 13, 2014, 12:13 pm

I don't believe there is an English version of the site, and, if there is, I am sure it would be incomplete.

If you are having trouble with getting Smart Passport turned on, I have found that the Vodafone IT Twitter team is helpful and will respond in English. Tweet them a message at @VodafoneIT describing the problem, your phone number, and asking them to turn it on for you. Before you tweet them you need to follow them so they can reply to you by direct message.

Originally Posted by pricesquire
I won't be in Italy.

I'll be USA --> France --> USA. Only need cell + data for France, though.

Set up a Vodafone account, but keep getting tech issues whenever I click on Smart Passport.

About to sit down and find the English language version of the IT site to get this thing squared away.
Old Oct 13, 2014, 12:50 pm
Suspended

I don't believe there is an English version of the site, and, if there is, I am sure it would be incomplete.

If you are having trouble with getting Smart Passport turned on, I have found that the Vodafone IT Twitter team is helpful and will respond in English. Tweet them a message at @VodafoneIT describing the problem, your phone number, and asking them to turn it on for you. Before you tweet them you need to follow them so they can reply to you by direct message.
Thanks, BigFlyer.

Is it bad I'd rather navigate the issue w/ Twitter's IT team than call my mother-in-law for translation help*?

My MIL = born/raised Sicilian and lives there currently.
Old Oct 13, 2014, 7:38 pm

Programs: DL Kettle| HH Pot
There is more than one place on the website to add funds. While I have had varying success, the most reliable method for using a US credit card seems to be using Paypal here: https://ricarica.vodafone.it/vftopup
Just did a top up using this site. When I tried a few months ago I couldn't get my paypal login and password to work through the Vodafone site. Today I tried it and used PayPal as a guest (w/credit card) and it worked fine. Wish I would have thought about checking out as a guest earlier. Would have saved me 3.99 euro.
Old Nov 14, 2014, 8:12 am
Suspended

Data point & a question:

In Bordeaux, Bouygues works a LOT better than Orange.

Question: is the only way to top up an Orange SIM via a store or a physical card? Is there nothing online?!
Old Nov 14, 2014, 8:54 am

Programs: UA MileagePlus
Originally Posted by pricesquire
Data point & a question:

In Bordeaux, Bouygues works a LOT better than Orange.

Question: is the only way to top up an Orange SIM via a store or a physical card? Is there nothing online?!
The mobile site (in French) is here.
Old Nov 14, 2014, 10:54 am
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
BUt there's a good chance it won't take American cards for online topups.
Old Nov 14, 2014, 12:47 pm

Programs: QFF Gold, Flying Blue, Enrich
Originally Posted by wco81
BUt there's a good chance it won't take American cards for online topups.
Yep, it doesn't like foreign cards.
Old Nov 14, 2014, 1:46 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plat, Marriott Silver, HH Gold
Lebara

Was just in France (Paris and Lyon), and picked up a Lebara SIM for 9.90 EUR which includes 5 EUR credit at the Relay shop in the airport. Then topped up 10 EUR and added the current unlimited France calling and texts and 3GB of 3G data for 12 EUR (I think, it's on their website). Was easy to top up and add the plan on an iPhone 6.

It used the Bouygues network and I found coverage to be perfectly adequate for Paris and Lyon. Spotty on the TGV but I suspect that's unavoidable.

I found Lebara's option in Copenhagen to be excellent too (they are available from vending machines in baggage claim and take credit cards with chip).
Old Nov 14, 2014, 3:32 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
"Adequate" suggests 3G, not 4G or LTE?
Old Nov 15, 2014, 1:34 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plat, Marriott Silver, HH Gold
Originally Posted by wco81
"Adequate" suggests 3G, not 4G or LTE?
Yes, 3G. No 4G/LTE prepaid available yet AFAIK.
Old Jan 29, 2015, 6:07 pm

Is there a good SIM card I could buy in France to use in other Western European countries? I mostly need data for Google Maps and e-mail checking, as well as occasional texting/short voice calls...
Old Apr 16, 2015, 11:56 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, CC, Hyatt & IHG
Originally Posted by highlanderfil
Is there a good SIM card I could buy in France to use in other Western European countries? I mostly need data for Google Maps and e-mail checking, as well as occasional texting/short voice calls...
What did you end up getting?
Old May 3, 2015, 3:58 am

Hello all

I am going to Paris for 4 days later this month. Looking for prepaid data for my iphone 6+ unlocked. What would be the best for the data only? lebara? Can I have the direct link to lebara?
Old May 3, 2015, 11:22 am

Originally Posted by transparent
Was just in France (Paris and Lyon), and picked up a Lebara SIM for 9.90 EUR which includes 5 EUR credit at the Relay shop in the airport. Then topped up 10 EUR and added the current unlimited France calling and texts and 3GB of 3G data for 12 EUR (I think, it's on their website). Was easy to top up and add the plan on an iPhone 6.
Was the activation instantaneous? Thanks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.