Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Syncing files on two computers; is there an easier way?

Syncing files on two computers; is there an easier way?

Old Feb 4, 12, 7:03 pm

Programs: US Airways Platinum 2012, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by LIH Prem View Post
use the 30 day free trial of sugarsync, install it on both computers and make "Documents" - "My Documents" a sync folder. (it's like dropbox but you can designate any folder on one machine to sync with any folder on another machine, including subfolders, etc).

Once it's done, cancel the free trial. If it's 5GB or less, you can just keep the free service or disconnect the sync folders and just use it for cloud backup under the 5GB free limit.

It will do the same thing that rsync would do, but via their cloud. rsync would be great too if you can figure out how to use it and make it work for you. It works well on unix/linux machines.

-David
SugarSync fan here! 5 computers, 2 iPads , and 3 iPhones in sync and backed up.
Old Feb 6, 12, 7:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
You may have already tried this, but after you shared the c:\ drive did you actually map to it?

I moved all the files that way from my old to new. But I also backed up the most important files to an external drive, just in case.
Old Feb 6, 12, 8:18 am

Programs: UA silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
I use a tool called BeyondCompare, which seems very similar to SyncBack. Allows you to compare contents of 2 locations and only copy new or modified files from source to destination. You get a 30 day trial, but it's a paid application.
Old Feb 6, 12, 12:29 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT (2.6+ MM), UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold.
MS Synctoy will also do what the OP originally asked for and it's free and IMHO intuitive:-
http://www.microsoft.com/download/en....aspx?id=15155
Old Feb 6, 12, 12:40 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, TK Elite, DL Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis First
Originally Posted by timfountain View Post
MS Synctoy will also do what the OP originally asked for and it's free and IMHO intuitive:-
http://www.microsoft.com/download/en....aspx?id=15155
Best me by 10 minutes! Synctoy is great for exactly this, completely free, and easy to use.

To copy files that are on one side and not on the other, you'll want "Contribute" mode (that'll make sense once you've got it running!)

Search this Thread