My First Mac. How? What?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

My First Mac. How? What?

Search this Thread

Old May 25, 2011, 1:03 am

Originally Posted by LIH Prem
You might consider moving to google contacts and calendar. You really don't need outlook.
That's a pretty broad statement. There are corporate configurations (appointments, shared contacts, etc.) where Outlook would be the best email client. And even then, Outlook on the Mac is sub-par. For example, I have a Fortune 50 client that regularly crafts OFT-based email, and Outlook for the Mac can't display them when they're sent as an attachment.
Old May 25, 2011, 4:32 am

Programs: Mileage Plus, Skymiles, EleVAte founding member, SPG
Originally Posted by aster
But just how popular will thunderbolt be? I mean will external hdd manufacturers support it at least on par with firewire? Or will thunderbolt be purely a Mac thing only included in Mac-dedicated products?
Thunderbolt is an Intel thing which Apple is licensing. I think their goal is to make it ubiquitous.
Old May 25, 2011, 11:54 am

Programs: UA 1MM 0P, AA, DL, *wood, Lifetime FPC Plat., IHG, HHD
many

Originally Posted by aster
But just how popular will thunderbolt be? I mean will external hdd manufacturers support it at least on par with firewire? Or will thunderbolt be purely a Mac thing only included in Mac-dedicated products?
many manufacturers have announced they will be supporting it.
Old May 25, 2011, 12:00 pm

nit picky

Originally Posted by wiredboy10003
Thunderbolt is an Intel thing which Apple is licensing. I think their goal is to make it ubiquitous.
I think it is a bit the other way around, to be nit picky

intel introduced a product called light peak, which didn't get much traction and was developed as an optical transport solution to leapfrog usb 3.0. Apple worked with intel over the past couple years to create a NON optical transport version using the lightpeak controller. This was most likely with the intention of being able to create POWERED solutions. Optical can't transport electricity - YET

From that, apple came out with a derivation of the product called Thunderbolt the trademark of which apple owns, but is currently in the process of transferring to Intel.

In the future I think we WILL see the optical version of lightpeak, but most likely we'll have a couple years of non-optical Thunderbolt releases across manufacturers and third party product manufacturers
Old May 25, 2011, 12:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
1. Bring the box home.
2. Open the box very slowly, admiring at each step how amazingly wonderful the Apple packaging is.
3. Admire how tactically wonderful the Mac is to touch - shiver a little.
4. Turn it on.
5. You're pretty much done.
6. Ask yourself "why did I wait so long."
Old May 25, 2011, 5:22 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by milepig
1. Bring the box home.
2. Open the box very slowly, admiring at each step how amazingly wonderful the Apple packaging is.
3. Admire how tactically wonderful the Mac is to touch - shiver a little.
4. Turn it on.
5. You're pretty much done.
6. Ask yourself "why did I wait so long."
^ Pretty much it
Old May 25, 2011, 5:31 pm

Originally Posted by goalie
^ Pretty much it
Same here. My next computer will be another Mac.
Old May 26, 2011, 7:20 pm
Suspended

I bought my white macbook in late 2007. Intel core 2 duo 2.2 w/ Intel GMA X3100. I replaced the hd (500 gb 7200rpm) and memory (4gb ram).
Besides some minor cracks on the casing and non-responsive track pad click (it's not the multi touch trackpad), it's working fine. 4 years and its processing system doesn't feel outdated at all, everything runs fast. I want to upgrade but can't justify replacing a working macbook. :P
Old May 26, 2011, 7:34 pm

it's time

Originally Posted by 9Benua
I bought my white macbook in late 2007. Intel core 2 duo 2.2 w/ Intel GMA X3100. I replaced the hd (500 gb 7200rpm) and memory (4gb ram).
Besides some minor cracks on the casing and non-responsive track pad click (it's not the multi touch trackpad), it's working fine. 4 years and its processing system doesn't feel outdated at all, everything runs fast. I want to upgrade but can't justify replacing a working macbook. :P
As much as macs DO continue to run and continue to run latest or next to latest version of the OS very nicely - it's time to upgrade.

You'll enjoy many of the features, performance, form factor, battery life, speed, screens, etc., of the latest models. The entry 13" MBP for what, 1000$ is really a dream machine. GREAT battery life, great screen, great performance.
Old May 28, 2011, 4:33 pm

Programs: UA, NW
I've been a Mac person since the early 1990s, but even I had a delightful surprise when I upgraded from a 2007 MacBook to a new MacBookPro last month.

I asked the dealer how to move my files from computer to another (which has always been the downside of upgrading), and I was delighted with the answer:

1. Perform a final backup on the old computer with Time Machine.

2. Turn on the new computer.

3. It will ask you if you want to load files via Time Machine.

4. Plug the backup hard drive into the new computer.

5. Go away for a little over an hour.

6. Come back to find the new computer with data that duplicates the data on the old computer, down to the arrangement of the icons on the desktop.
Old May 28, 2011, 5:07 pm

Originally Posted by ksandness

I asked the dealer how to move my files from computer to another (which has always been the downside of upgrading), and I was delighted with the answer:
yes, backup and restore works ESPECIALLY nicely on macs. It makes my life a whole lot easier for family whom I support as the tech guy.

I have everyone with some form of either LAN or NAS time machine backup. It can be a cheap harddrive, or NAS or yes the apple time capsules or just the airport extreme with an external harddrive.

When something fails (and harddrive DO still fail sometimes, usually 3-5 years in) I just have to pop in a new drive, point to the backup and everyone is right back to where they started from.

Of course all this CAN be done in a windows OS environment, but in my experience nothing is as simple or elegant.
Old May 28, 2011, 6:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: QF WP (OWE) / LTG (LT OWS) | Hyatt Globalist
A quick update.

Ran into a friend last week who writes music for a living, and was kind enough to loan me his now retired Intel C2D macbook pro to have a play with before I drop my dosh on a new macbook pro. Over the last week, I pulled the plug thrice, before thinking "what if I don't like to live with a Mac" and backing out. Fiddling around with the display models in store is all good but actually using the loaner macbook pro for a few days should/will give me a far better idea of how comfortable I am with it.

Thanks for the inputs so far guys. I'll report back more in due course.

Yes I suspect I'm coming across as a master procrastinator. Funny, considering I didn't think twice about dropping twice as much on a sony vaio four years ago (whilst I was making half as much I do now! - I guess thats "growing up" for you!); I guess this whole "switching to OSX" has sent my thinking into an overdrive!
Old May 28, 2011, 6:32 pm

Originally Posted by SQ421
A quick update.

Ran into a friend last week who writes music for a living, and was kind enough to loan me his now retired Intel C2D macbook pro to have a play with before I drop my dosh on a new macbook pro. Over the last week, I pulled the plug thrice, before thinking "what if I don't like to live with a Mac" and backing out. Fiddling around with the display models in store is all good but actually using the loaner macbook pro for a few days should/will give me a far better idea of how comfortable I am with it.

Thanks for the inputs so far guys. I'll report back more in due course.

Yes I suspect I'm coming across as a master procrastinator. Funny, considering I didn't think twice about dropping twice as much on a sony vaio four years ago (whilst I was making half as much I do now! - I guess thats "growing up" for you!); I guess this whole "switching to OSX" has sent my thinking into an overdrive!
It DOES take some time to get used to things, ANY change for that matter. AND, some things one might NOT like as much as on another OS. Overall it should be a much better experience and one with more potential upside.

That said, sometimes it IS better to burn the ships. ;-)
Old May 28, 2011, 8:48 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by nmenaker
That said, sometimes it IS better to burn the ships. ;-)
Yeah, for the first 3 weeks of having my macbook, I keep using osx and bootcamp. Obviously the ratio is getting higher on osx side.
Old May 29, 2011, 3:03 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA MM Gold; Marriott Lifetime Titanium; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by adambadam
Virus protection I don't think is needed. I have a program called ClamX (free) that can do a virus scan if you want it to though I am not very worried about viruses.
You keep thinking that.

"Cybercriminals will continue to target Mac users because they are currently a 'soft target',” Graham Cluley, senior technology consultant at Sophos, told eWEEK. Mac users have been told so often that Macs don’t have viruses that they are now highly vulnerable to attack.
http://www.eweek.com/c/a/Security/Ma...y-News-509269/

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.