My First Mac. How? What?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

My First Mac. How? What?

Search this Thread

Old May 23, 2011, 5:53 pm

Programs: Seniors Bus Pass
It is the contacts, mail AND calendar functions in one that is needed for me.

I sync with a cable when at home, although my mail is IMAP synced.
Old May 23, 2011, 6:01 pm

Originally Posted by antichef
It is the contacts, mail AND calendar functions in one that is needed for me.

I sync with a cable when at home, although my mail is IMAP synced.
You might consider moving to google contacts and calendar. You really don't need outlook. Any email client will work for you. And if you import your calendar into google your iphone and your mac have clients that can interact with google calendar.

-David
Old May 23, 2011, 6:29 pm
Suspended

So, since you have mbp and iphone, Why don't you use Apple's mail, address book and ical? That's the only one I use and it suits my needs just fine. Well, I never use Outlook or google calendar, thus, I don't know what I'm missing here.
Old May 23, 2011, 6:37 pm

Programs: AA EXP, lowly UA 1K; Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold; National EC, Hertz PC
I use Mail.app and iCal and Address Book for calendars and contacts respectively, all of which work fairly well. Coming form Outlook you realize just how robust Microsoft has made the app, for example the other day I wanted to import a bunch of events that were in CSV format to iCal and it couldnt do this seemingly mundane task Outlook would have been able to easily handle. Another reason, though I think its now fixed in the latest version of Office, that I never switched over to Outlook (formally known as Entourage) is that it didn't use to support time machine and would back up your entire email directory every time one change was made instead of just the new message, event, etc.

I am on Google Apps so that takes care of the IMAP sync and I have MobileMe which keeps the calendar and contacts in sync between the MBP and iPhone. You can probably do what I want with Google Calendar though back when I signed up for MobileMe you still had to pay for FindMyiPhone which gave me some nice peace of mind.
Old May 23, 2011, 6:55 pm
Suspended

Btw, if you want a push setting for your gmail account on iphone, ipod touch or ipad, set it up as exchange account. Here's the instruction http://www.google.com/support/mobile...40&topic=14252
Old May 23, 2011, 9:22 pm

Originally Posted by 9Benua
So, since you have mbp and iphone, Why don't you use Apple's mail, address book and ical? That's the only one I use and it suits my needs just fine. Well, I never use Outlook or google calendar, thus, I don't know what I'm missing here.
google keeps it all in the cloud, accessible from anywhere, any device, any web browser and it's free.

If you pay for mobile me (I don't), I believe you will get almost the same thing. (there are some mobile me services available for PCs, but I don't know about them. I'm guessing they work well with outlook on the PC, if that's how you want to go. Google's services are pretty much OS/device and application agnositic.)

Certainly if you are all mac, all apple devices, your method + mobile me will work fine, if you are willing to pay for the mobile me subscription.

-David

Last edited by LIH Prem; May 23, 2011 at 9:29 pm
Old May 24, 2011, 7:53 am

Originally Posted by pdxer
i'd strongly suggest using SuperDuper! instead. it's faster and more reliable.
But not free

Edit: my bad, note the basic version is free, only the advanced version costs $$$

Last edited by dtsm; May 24, 2011 at 8:40 am
Old May 24, 2011, 9:45 am

I'm thinking about buying my first mac as well, are there any known shedules /guesstimates with regards to new generations being released? I'd hate to spend all that money just to find an updated version released in the next couple weeks...
Old May 24, 2011, 9:48 am

Originally Posted by scjmc
I'm thinking about buying my first mac as well, are there any known shedules /guesstimates with regards to new generations being released? I'd hate to spend all that money just to find an updated version released in the next couple weeks...
macrumors.com has update on product life cycles. Note the iMac recently updated, as was MBP.
http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/
Old May 24, 2011, 10:06 am

thanks, thats what i was looking for
Old May 24, 2011, 10:11 am

Programs: UA 1MM 0P, AA, DL, *wood, Lifetime FPC Plat., IHG, HHD
We probably won't see another imac update for a year, only possibly some speed bumps at some point. The MBP laptops will most likely get some new design within the next year, but there is probably only a 50-60% probably we'll see it before year end.

the mac PRO's will most likely get an update soon, thunderbolt support built in, some other internal options for maximizing SSD integration, etc.
Old May 24, 2011, 10:47 am

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold>>>Silver>>>Blue, Finnair Silver, Royal Caribbean Diamond
What's going on with USB 3.0? Are they just going to stick to the old USB interface or will someone over there finally wake up and notice?
Old May 24, 2011, 11:27 am

Programs: UA 1MM 0P, AA, DL, *wood, Lifetime FPC Plat., IHG, HHD
none

Originally Posted by aster
What's going on with USB 3.0? Are they just going to stick to the old USB interface or will someone over there finally wake up and notice?
I don't think apple is every going to implement usb 3.0 in the devices. There ARE some solutions from third parties for the MBP and the macpros, but i think apple is fully behind thunderbolt now and 3.0 is not going to get the goods.
Old May 24, 2011, 1:01 pm

Programs: DL Silver, AA Gold
Originally Posted by aster
It'll happen once Intel makes a chipset that supports it at a price Apple wants to pay. The reason for initially supporting Thunderbolt is that it's faster and more flexible than USB 3 (you could make a USB 3 host for Thunderbolt-equipped computers, but not the reverse), while also not requiring a new external port to take up valuable space on their computers.
Old May 24, 2011, 10:37 pm

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold>>>Silver>>>Blue, Finnair Silver, Royal Caribbean Diamond
But just how popular will thunderbolt be? I mean will external hdd manufacturers support it at least on par with firewire? Or will thunderbolt be purely a Mac thing only included in Mac-dedicated products?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.