Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Why is the issue with electronic devices being on?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7, 2011, 10:54 am
mdb
Original Poster

What is the rule for - - meaning why does it exist?
Old Jan 7, 2011, 10:56 am

from another thread..

Use of Portable Electronic Devices Aboard Aircraft - FAA AC 91.21-1

6. RECOMMENDED PROCEDURES FOR THE OPERATION OF PORTABLE ELECTRONIC DEVICES ABOARD AIRCRAFT.

(6) Prohibiting the operation of any portable electronic devices during the takeoff and landing phases of flight. It must be recognized that the potential for personal injury to passengers is a paramount consideration as well as the possibility of missing important safety announcements during these important phases of flight. This is in addition to lessening the possible interference that may arise during sterile cockpit operations (below 10,000 feet).
Old Jan 7, 2011, 11:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United1K, AA ExPlAAt, DL MM/Gold, Hilton Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by mdb
For non transmitting devices it is strictly to ensure attention to the announcements.
Old Jan 7, 2011, 11:08 am

Programs: DL DM 2MM, MR LTT, Hilton D, Hertz PC. National Emerald Exec, UA Silver(thanks to Marriott)
There are some who without basis think it is just a rule for the sake of being able to tell you what to do.

There is some evidence that it is possible that cell phones can interfere with the navigational equipment of the aircraft. It is better to side on caution. I would rather get home safely than let some moron text while we are taking off because they think the rules don't apply to them.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mobile_phones_on_aircraft
Old Jan 7, 2011, 11:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United1K, AA ExPlAAt, DL MM/Gold, Hilton Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by BusTrav8yrs
There are some who without basis think it is just a rule for the sake of being able to tell you what to do.

There is some evidence that it is possible that cell phones can interfere with the navigational equipment of the aircraft. It is better to side on caution. I would rather get home safely than let some moron text while we are taking off because they think the rules don't apply to them.

The question was specifically NOT about cell phones but other electronic devices like iPODs.
Old Jan 7, 2011, 11:10 am

Programs: DL-DM/1MM, HILTON-DIA, .HYATT-DIA/GLOB , IHG-PLT,HERTZ 5*, NATIONAL ES
Originally Posted by BusTrav8yrs

My issue is that rules aren't rules unless they are enforced. If it is legit, pass out some fines. Otherwise drop it...
Old Jan 7, 2011, 12:01 pm

Programs: DL Plat, HH Diamond, SPG Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by mdb
Just to make you wonder....And start a thread on FT.
Old Jan 7, 2011, 12:06 pm
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
Originally Posted by Crazyhotelguy
My issue is that rules aren't rules unless they are enforced. If it is legit, pass out some fines. Otherwise drop it...
True, but if I see someone using their devices when they shouldn't and a FA is passing through the aisle, I stop them and ask, "If so-and-so can use their electronics, I guess I can too?!" That usually solves the problem.

I find the issue is more safety - not hearing the announcements, having earphone cords being an interference in case of an emergency, etc.
Old Jan 7, 2011, 12:06 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

Exclamation Thread Alert

The new home for this thread is now the Travel Technology forum, as this topic has nothing to do with Delta Air Lines or the SkyMiles frequent flier loyalty program.

Regards,

Canarsie
Co-Moderator, Delta SkyMiles forum
Old Jan 7, 2011, 12:45 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus, Skymiles, EleVAte founding member, SPG
Originally Posted by Crazyhotelguy
The airline could fine people who are walking around when the seatbelt sign is on too. Or getting up too soon to get something out of the overhead bin. Or not putting the seat in the upright position. They're all for your safety. Do you really want fines for everything?
Old Jan 7, 2011, 1:04 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by wiredboy10003
The airline could fine people ...
I do not think that the airlines have the authority to fine any passengers for anything.
Old Jan 7, 2011, 1:14 pm

Programs: Delta DM; Hilton Diamond; SPG Platinum
Non-Compatability

There are some very strict rules and a lot of testing before a component or sub-system can be added to an aircraft avionics package.

The biggest issue is that the use of consumer electronic devices has not been tested to ensure non-interferance with the aircraft installed avionics systems. These systems very with each aircraft and have to be confirmed even within each operator.

Guess we should blame Blackberry (Insert appropiate vendor here) for not paying for the appropiate testing that their devices do not interfere with a specific carrier / aircraft model avionics configuration.

Flight Mechanic
Old Jan 7, 2011, 1:15 pm

Programs: DL D & MM, Marriott P, Hilton S, UA, US, AA
Another reason

Originally Posted by mdb
Can you imagine if it gets bumpy, which often happens during approach and landing, and everyone had a laptop, ipod or other electronic equipement which went flying thru the cabin. Would you like to be on the receiving end?
Old Jan 7, 2011, 1:17 pm

However, they can report you to law enforcement for "failure to follow flight crew instructions". And yes, stubborn cell phone users have been taken off flights.

The risk is very slight, but the remediation (keeping your toys stowed for a few minutes) is also very minimal. There are items that would probably not be an issue, but the flight attendants don't want to have to consult a big allowed/not allowed list. It's simple enough to just not allow anything for the short time the flight is under 10,000 feet.

Not being able to use your cell phone is probably more of an inconvenience, but there's reason to believe that phones in flight will interfere with the operation of the ground network because they can "see" more cells than the system was designed for. Flights that allow cell phones have their own cell site, so the phone isn't trying to connect to the ground stations.
Old Jan 7, 2011, 1:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN Platinum
The other issue people are missing is this: during take-off and landing people need to be more attentive in case emergencies happen. If the plane blows a tire or aborts take off or landing people need to be able to brace themselves for any emergency maneuvers.

I've been on flights with aborted landings and let me tell you I'm glad I was paying attention as the plane jerked rather hard.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.